PDA

View Full Version : Wave-Serpent vs Flyer math

Bigred
06-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Reecius over at Frontline has been doing some math nailing flyers with Wave Serpents (http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2013/06/14/by-the-numbers-wave-serpents-vs-flyers-by-mark-h/).

Check this beauty out:

Wave Serpent with Scatterlaser, Shuriken Cannon upgrade, Energy wave

Number of Hits, Percentage of S7 Hits, Percentage of S6 Hits
0 38.0% 13.5%
1 37.2% 22.0%
2 17.3% 29.3%
3 5.7% 21.4%
4 1.6% 10.6%
5 0.2% 2.8%
6 0.5%

- See more at: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2013/06/14/by-the-numbers-wave-serpents-vs-flyers-by-mark-h/#sthash.kTn1JZoM.dpuf

They rigged up a computer and ran 10,000 sets of to-hit rolls. It's so effective due to the twinlinked scatter being fairily reliable at gettign at least one 'six' in on the flyer and making both other weapons twin linked.

If the number of hits are that good versus flyers, just imagine how brutal that thing is going to be vs surface targets.

I'm swapping out scatter lasers as we speak...

Houghten
06-14-2013, 01:35 PM
I doubt the energy wave can hit fliers.

Edit: looked it up, it's d6 shots, not d6 hits. I guess it can hit fliers, at least until it gets FAQd not to for no adequately explained reason.

rle68
06-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Reecius over at Frontline has been doing some math nailing flyers with Wave Serpents (http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2013/06/14/by-the-numbers-wave-serpents-vs-flyers-by-mark-h/).

Check this beauty out:

- See more at: http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2013/06/14/by-the-numbers-wave-serpents-vs-flyers-by-mark-h/#sthash.kTn1JZoM.dpuf

They rigged up a computer and ran 10,000 sets of to-hit rolls. It's so effective due to the twinlinked scatter being fairily reliable at gettign at least one 'six' in on the flyer and making both other weapons twin linked.

If the number of hits are that good versus flyers, just imagine how brutal that thing is going to be vs surface targets.

already done :) 3 war walkers with 2 scatters and 3 of 6 serpents with them as well

40kGamer
06-14-2013, 05:13 PM

Check this beauty out:

Sigh... I'm kicking myself for not magnetizing the wave serpents as I patiently cut the old weapons free and add a rod for the new scatter lasers... :)

At least I did magnetize my war walkers and wraithlords!

rle68
06-14-2013, 05:33 PM
the only problem i see is i have to roll each shot 1 by 1 till i get a 6.. then pick up the rest of the 36 shots and blast away

Bigred
06-14-2013, 09:44 PM
By RAW a unit with only scatter lasers gains no benefit from laser lock. It only works to make non laser lock weapons twin-linked if you get in a hit with a laser lock weapon.

Maybe they will clarify with the FAQ.

I'm kind of upset about my all scatter laser walkers, but the Wave Serpents make up for it. Its also a (teensy) reason to take a Falcon.

rle68
06-14-2013, 09:50 PM
By RAW a unit with only scatter lasers gains no benefit from laser lock. It only works to make non laser lock weapons twin-linked if you get in a hit with a laser lock weapon.

Maybe they will clarify with the FAQ.

I'm kind of upset about my all scatter laser walkers, but the Wave Serpents make up for it. Its also a (teensy) reason to take a Falcon.

lmao.. very tiny.. now to frost your cookies read the rules for laser lock in the reference section and youll go wtf?!?!?

Xenith
06-16-2013, 01:14 PM
lmao.. very tiny.. now to frost your cookies read the rules for laser lock in the reference section and youll go wtf?!?!?

The reference is just that, a shortened version of the rules for reference in game. Read the full rules elsewhere in the codex for...well...the full rules.

Power Klawz
06-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Seems legit. Wave serpents are why the Eldar are better than you, and they know it.

Aramel
06-16-2013, 01:54 PM
The rule is very clear. You need to fire all the weapons with laser lock first. Which, unfortunately, means that war walkers can't fire one of their scatter lasers and twin-link the second. Also the serpent shield is Assault D6+1, so there is no ambiguity here either, it will work exacly as any other assault weapon shooting a flier.

rle68
06-16-2013, 11:26 PM
i am in full agreement that twin scatters dont work for each other.. the fact they do have a discrepancy will cause all kinds of rage quitting till they errata that.

chorde
06-17-2013, 01:40 AM
would be happily suprised if they leave the serpents as they are, had 3 games with the new flyer 4th game I dropped the flyer and put in a 3rd serpent, never thought I would ever table someone without removing a single model, my opponent didn't get his 3rd turn. Serpents where all minus hull points but still alive.

Don't think I even used the shield as a shield, really good for killing quad guns, vehichles in cover and devastating on rear armour of flyers with the re-rolls, using 3 seemed to be a bit broken.

Sainhann
06-17-2013, 09:25 AM
The rule is very clear. You need to fire all the weapons with laser lock first. Which, unfortunately, means that war walkers can't fire one of their scatter lasers and twin-link the second. Also the serpent shield is Assault D6+1, so there is no ambiguity here either, it will work exacly as any other assault weapon shooting a flier.

Even if this is the case a Squadron of War Walkers still has 24 shots and at BS4 now instead of BS3 you will still get around 15-17 hits on average and being strength 6 they will wound whatever you are shooting at.

Aramel
06-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Of course. I have them in virtually all of my lists. So far they have never dissapointed.

rle68
06-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Even if this is the case a Squadron of War Walkers still has 24 shots and at BS4 now instead of BS3 you will still get around 15-17 hits on average and being strength 6 they will wound whatever you are shooting at.

give them guide and watch the chaos reign.. opps that didnt quite work lol

Garradh
06-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Glad this was brought up for twin SL war walkers, as I love to play them and have been rolling the dice wrong. Since I play a Farseer on foot, I can Guide the war walkers as needed. Thanks for pointing it out, I wanna play right.

Bigred
06-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Yup, the twin SL walkers don't dissapoint - even played correctly. My jetbike farseer is never too far away in any case.