PDA

View Full Version : TFC and gunner

Pendragon38
06-12-2013, 06:14 AM
So my question is this. If I have 3 thunder fire cannons(TFC) and lets say gun(A) is destroyed and the gunner is alive and within 2" of gun (B) with a dead gunner could gun (B) still fire using the gunner from gun (A).

Magpie
06-12-2013, 06:37 AM
A gun's crew is only those models it starts with, other crew members cannot be brought in to join the gun unit any more than an infantry squad can join another squad

Also when a Techmarine's TFC is destroyed he gains the Independent Character Rule.
Independent Characters don't count as crew.

Nabterayl
06-12-2013, 06:43 AM
No. As page 46 says, "If all the crew models [in an Artillery unit] are killed, the guns are immediately removed as well." Thus, there is no way for there to be an unattended Thunderfire Cannon on the field. Even if there were, there is no way for the Techmarine Gunner to join the unattended TFC's unit, and only members of the unit can fire a gun. Even ICs cannot fire a gun in an Artillery unit ("Independent Characters that join the unit, however, do not count as crew and cannot operate the guns," also page 46).

Pendragon38
06-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Yeah that's what I thought too. thanks

Wolfshade
06-12-2013, 07:25 AM
No prize guns for anyone :(

Nabterayl
06-12-2013, 07:34 AM
The machine spirits suicide upon the death of their handlers.

40kGamer
06-12-2013, 07:34 AM
No prize guns for anyone :(

Not claiming prize guns flies in the face of history! Wrong... so wrong... :)

So even if the guns are forming a single unit the crew are specific to each gun?

Nabterayl
06-12-2013, 07:54 AM
No, any "crew" model in the overall unit can fire any gun, though each crew model can only fire one gun. For instance, if I have nine gretchin manning three kannon in a single unit of big gunz, any one of the gretchin can fire any one of the kannon in that unit.

However, only crew models that are part of the unit can fire guns from that unit, and if the crew from that unit are removed then the guns instantly evaporate, even if there are identical friendly crew models from an identical friendly artillery unit still on the table.

40kGamer
06-12-2013, 07:56 AM
No, any "crew" model in the overall unit can fire any gun, though each crew model can only fire one gun. For instance, if I have nine gretchin manning three kannon in a single unit of big gunz, any one of the gretchin can fire any one of the kannon in that unit.

However, only crew models that are part of the unit can fire guns from that unit, and if the crew from that unit are removed then the guns instantly evaporate, even if there are identical friendly crew models from an identical friendly artillery unit still on the table.

Thanks! That actually makes sense. I've never fielded any guns as they were pretty bad in 5th. Looks like they got a big boost in the new edition though. :)

Sly
06-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Note that a Techmarine from a destroyed TFC cannon could join another TFC/Techmarine unit to provide an ablative wound. He can't fire the gun, but there is no reason why he can't join the TFC (Artillery) unit, as the TFC unit consists of more than 1 model.

Nabterayl
06-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Am I blind? Where does the Techmarine Gunners become an IC?

Sly
06-12-2013, 09:39 AM
A Techmarine is inherently an Independent Character. In the TFC rules, it says that the Techmarine does not benefit from the IC and the Blessing of the Omnisiah rules unless his TFC is destroyed. So, basically, he's always an IC but the TFC gun blocks that rule as long as the TFC is on the table. Once it's destroyed, it's no longer blocking, and you get a "free" Techmarine to sacrifice (or keep alive in a Kill Point game).

Nabterayl
06-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Oh, there it is. See? I am blind.

40kGamer
06-12-2013, 10:12 AM

Failed initiative test? ;)

Allen Broussard
06-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Somthing i havent seen done alot however, is purchasing servitors with the techmarine who mans the TFC. It is legal, and expands the crew of the TFC and potentially adds more heavy weapons to the squad.

The rule for servitors mearly states that you may purchase a squad for every techmarine in your army. Therefore, you could buy up to 5 servitors with the attatched techmarine and have a 6 man crew for your TFC. Adding dual plasma cannons to the TFC is nasty.

Allen Broussard
06-20-2013, 11:17 AM
reguarding my post a few seconds ago, i now realize that the servitors wouldnt be attatched to the TFC :(. They count as a seperate unit. But you can still take the squad with each TFC.

dreadnoughtguy
06-20-2013, 09:55 PM
True but they make a nice wall of bodies that people have to assault through with one standard and one servo arm attack each. Also it would be a seperate unit so it would grant cover to the TFC and the gunner.

Tynskel
06-20-2013, 09:59 PM

It's okay. We all go blind one day...