PDA

View Full Version : Another MMORPG?

Defenestratus
06-11-2013, 01:54 PM
http://www.bhvr.com/eternalcrusade/

Whats this.

Bitrider
06-11-2013, 01:59 PM
If you click 'An empty mind is a loyal mind' it takes you to the Reddit page about cats. I found the cats page more interesting.

DrLove42
06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
An MMO concerning Eldar, Orks, Marines and CSM.

All made by a company who has made one decent game (WET), and a load of shovelware and movie tie ins. They've never even made an RPG, let alone an MMO, so i don't hold my breath on this one much.

Maybe they're just restructuring the Dark Milleium left from THQ. But needing 2 years to do it suggests stand alone....

I don't hold out much hope of this being any good

The Press Release
Behaviour Interactive and Games Workshop® proudly announce a new online game in the Warhammer® 40,000® universe: Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade. Behaviour Interactive has obtained the rights to create a wholly new MMORPG persistent war experience for PC, PS4 and Xbox One set in Games Workshop's universe of the 41st Millennium. In the game, players choose a Warhammer 40,000 race and fight directly as one of their warriors in massive conflicts for territory. It will be up to each faction's community to determine their own destiny as they vie for control of an entire planet.
"I am thrilled to announce what will finally be the first MMORPG based on the Warhammer 40,000 license," said Miguel Caron, Head of Studio, Online at Behaviour Interactive. "Eternal Crusade's team are all MMO development veterans and with the support of Behaviour's 20+ years of experience this is going to be the online Warhammer 40,000 universe game that fans have been dreaming of for years!"
"Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade is the second milestone in Behaviours new online strategic positioning after last year's Star Citizen Announcement." said Rémi Racine, President and Executive Producer of Behaviour. "We are very happy with the progress of the online studio and you should expect more similar announcements to come."
"The depth, breadth and sheer level of detail that the Warhammer 40,000 universe has after 26 years of continuous development makes it one of the great fantasy settings of our times." said Jon Gillard, Head of Licensing at Games Workshop. "Experiencing the thrill of first hand combat in this world of eternal conflict, with thousands of other players beside you, will be fantastic."
Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade is currently in development for PC, PS4, and Xbox One and will release in late 2015.
Main features of the game include:
Experience the gameworld with 3rd-person, behind the shoulder action featuring precision gunplay and brutal melee combat with excruciating finishers;

Participate in a persistent online war to conquer the planet, its fate completely in the hands of the players;

Become a warrior from one of four initial factions, each unique and opposed to one another: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Orks and Eldar.

Participate in truly massive conflicts that simultaneously bring thousands of players to bear over territories and other strategic resources.

Get behind the controls of Space Marine Rhinos, Predators, Ork Battlewagons and other iconic vehicles of the 41st millennium;

Hack through genuinely challenging procedural content alongside your battle-brothers and never have the same experience twice;

Earn the right to customize your builds in a deep progression system drawing on the rich Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Found a Battle Squad with friends and prepare for conflict from your customized shared space in orbit - then drop down to the planet together and seek out glory

Asymmetrical Xeno
06-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Oh FFS I'm still waiting for "Bomb Squig : The Adventure RPG" and the "Lady Malys' Reverse-Harem Dating Sim", why do they have to do boring ones like this?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
06-11-2013, 06:02 PM
I choose Space Marines.

Power Klawz
06-11-2013, 06:54 PM
I'll probably give them money at some point. MMO's are never that great though, it will all come down to the complexity of play and the depth of endgame content like everything else. If they try to make it purely PvP based endgame they'll never build or keep the necessary audience for a long lasting MMORPG. Well, a big budget one at least. Some smaller niche mmos have lasted quite a long while with relatively tiny player bases due to understanding their own limitations... not something I'd expect of anything licensed under Games Workshop.

Still, should be fun to crush space marines with my namesake. It'll be good for a laugh for a month or two at worst.

The Sovereign
06-11-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm down, as I was really excited for Dark Millenium, but I gotta say the voice acting and dialogue on the homepage was pretty cheesy.

Mr.Pickelz
06-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Personally, i've always wanted to start a Waagh!, and i had hopes that THQ game Dark Millennium would allow that. But! There isn't much room for a Sci Fi MMO, Eve Online has a hardcore following, and while 40k is popular, i don't think a monthly subscription based MMO is a sustainable format for a 40k video game.

eldargal
06-12-2013, 12:01 AM
"Lady Malys' Reverse-Harem Dating Sim", why do they have to do boring ones like this?

Want this one so much.

AirHorse
06-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Want this one so much.

Tell me about it! That and maybe farming simulator 40,000:Orks edition.

lattd
06-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Well its on the next gen consoles so possible free to play?

Sainhann
06-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Okay so can I be an Eldar Solitaire.

Mr Mystery
06-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Not very likely....it's a bit obscure.

Ragehatequit now?

Sainhann
06-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Not very likely....it's a bit obscure.

Ragehatequit now?

But a great character for someone you tends to play solo.

Ankhalagon
06-12-2013, 03:00 PM
I hope it fails not as hard as WAR or the THQ-thing.

Mr Mystery
06-12-2013, 03:05 PM
I rate WAR over WOW.

Mostly because it has no anthropomorphic bloody Pandas, or other arise like that.

Power Klawz
06-12-2013, 03:20 PM
WILD SPECULATION TIMEZ!

Eldar

Tank: Scorpion
Melee DPS: Banshee
Ranged DPS: Reaper
Healer/support: Seer

Ork

Tank/melee: Nob
Ranged Dps: Mek Boy
Support: Weirdboy
Healer: Mad doc

Space Marines

Tank: Terminator
Melee: Assault marine
Healer: Apothecary
Ranged: Devastator

Chaos Marines

Tank: Plague Marine
Melee: Berserker
Support/Healer: Sorcerer (tzeentch)
Ranged: Noise Marine

Will be interesting to see how they design it. I'd think that heavy FPS type gameplay would be a good place to start, with probably a quick FPS button to shoot while aiming through a reticle of some sort, and once released you go back to third person for more melee oriented activities. Ranged classes could have the option to remain in first person by default and only switch to melee when desired.

Dynamic twitch based gameplay would be fun instead of auto-targeting and computer determined accuracy. When you swing your power sword you actually have to hit your opponent with it, you can block and counter and all that goodness. The new elder scrolls MMO seems to be attempting something like this, though perhaps not to the extent I'd desire.

Really think reaper vision would be awesome to play with, with your sight coming right out of the gun barrel and maybe some kind of assisted or tracking ability as class features. You should still be able to jump behind cover to avoid getting gibbed though. Also cover should be destructible but that's just a pipe dream.

3 dimensional combat would be awesome, giving players access to vehicles and flight or jump capability would probably be too difficult to pull off properly though. It'd be hard to justify giving a nob a jet pack or allowing jump pack assault marines when no one else can fly around in combat. Playing through the jump pack portions of the space marine game that came out last year really makes me want that capability in an MMO though.

bfmusashi
06-12-2013, 04:33 PM
I rate WAR over WOW.

Mostly because it has no anthropomorphic bloody Pandas, or other arise like that.

Anthropomorphic trees, rats, cows, lizards, frogs, etc. but pandas... the line must be drawn here, no further!

Power Klawz
06-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Anthropomorphic is better than animatronic. Imagine an army of Chuck E. Cheese's.

lattd
06-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Interview about the game on faeit makes it sound amazing and if it's anywhere near as good as it sounds ill happily pay the premium but it is free to play as well.

Here's the linkhttp://http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/interview-with-eternal-crusade-official.html?m=1.

Ankhalagon
06-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Sounds a little weird.

Dumah
06-13-2013, 06:08 PM
WILD SPECULATION TIMEZ!

Eldar

Tank: Scorpion
Melee DPS: Banshee
Ranged DPS: Reaper

Ork

Tank/melee: Nob
Ranged Dps: Mek Boy
Support: Weirdboy
Healer: Mad doc

Space Marines

Tank: Terminator
Melee: Assault marine
Healer: Apothecary
Ranged: Devastator

Chaos Marines

Tank: Plague Marine
Melee: Berserker
Support/Healer: Sorcerer (tzeentch)
Ranged: Noise Marine

I agree with everything you've got here except for the Eldar breakdown. I was thinking something more like:

Tank: Wraithguard
Melee DPS: Either Scorpion or Banshee (Maybe Harlequin. Dare I hope?)
Ranged DPS: Warlock or Dire Avenger?**

**Not really sure here. I suppose Reapers make sense from a weapons standpoint but historically, ranged DPS have been saddled with light armor (medium at best) to balance their inherent advantages. Ranged classes with heavy mitigation are really tricky to pull off without becoming broken in some way. But of course, Reapers without heavy armor wouldn't really feel like Reapers...

eldargal
06-16-2013, 04:39 AM
Interview with the CEO of the developer (http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/14/interview-warhammer-40000-eternal-crusades-miguel-caron-shares-his-vision-for-a-next-gen-mmorpg/)

Lots of information. A lot of it sounds promising, some less so. Not keen on this conception of PvP and PvE and a few other things.

daboarder
06-16-2013, 04:58 AM
Interview with the CEO of the developer (http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/14/interview-warhammer-40000-eternal-crusades-miguel-caron-shares-his-vision-for-a-next-gen-mmorpg/)

Lots of information. A lot of it sounds promising, some less so. Not keen on this conception of PvP and PvE and a few other things.

That business model worries me.

I find strange that he state it will be "cheaper than guild wars 2" guild wars 2 is buy once no string attached.

mechanic wise its sounding a bit planetside 2...I like that.

eldargal
06-16-2013, 05:02 AM
I think he means free to play. I do like the idea of free players being Ork boys and having to pay for other races in lieu of a subscription fee. That means I could buy the ability to play as the eldar class of my choice without having to pay for a whole heap of options I won't use. Forcing people to pay to play as a Space Marine is a good idea, might help balance things out.

But really, really not keen on the uncontrolled pvp model it's just asking for hardcore pvpers to drive away everyone else and then you get a game where the only thing that matters is pvp stats not story, setting or anything.

Kirsten
06-16-2013, 05:02 AM
sounds pretty awesome to me, consider me definitely interested. would still prefer single player but that is just because I hate people :p

daboarder
06-16-2013, 05:03 AM
I don't think there is going to be much story in this one to be honest. Most certainly getting the vibe that the story is mostly framework.

eldargal
06-16-2013, 05:06 AM
Yep, which worries me. Contrary to popular belief (especially amongst pvpvers) in a casual, free to play micro transaction environment it is the casual people who buy lots of little things to enhance their overall experience that make a game profitable, not the hardcore pvp crowd. They disappear as soon as a new pvp orientatd game comes along that promises a better experience.

daboarder
06-16-2013, 05:49 AM
Yep, which worries me. Contrary to popular belief (especially amongst pvpvers) in a casual, free to play micro transaction environment it is the casual people who buy lots of little things to enhance their overall experience that make a game profitable, not the hardcore pvp crowd. They disappear as soon as a new pvp orientatd game comes along that promises a better experience.

yup, the market is finally learning that, Pretty much the only MMO that has the population to work as a subscription is WOW, and last I'd heard they we're down to around 9 million active accounts

The Sovereign
06-26-2013, 07:33 PM
I'll support it in hopes that I'll get to play an archon, haemonculus, or wolf guard some day.

I've gotta say, I kinda dig the rank structure mechanic the guy describes in the article. It sounds like it might tie players closer together and make them more invested in each other, so people aren't running off toward the horizon in separate directions to go do some dumb $#!+.

combatmedic
06-27-2013, 06:54 PM
As one of the few who played the THQ MMO, it could very well be the same game. THQs version was a 3rd person mmo with the same races, maybe once we get some screens we will know for sure if its a rehab of the old game.