PDA

View Full Version : Man of Steel

Learn2Eel
06-10-2013, 06:17 AM
This trailer. Enough said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

The review embargo lifts tomorrow morning in Aussie time. I can't wait; the early reviews have all been gushing or at least pretty positive. Definitely my most anticipated movie of the year.

Kirsten
06-10-2013, 06:18 AM
I might actually see this at some point. I had absolutely zero interest in it because I find superman to be unbelievably tedious, all the films suck. But the trailer I saw on TV the other day actually looked vaguely interesting.

Mr Mystery
06-10-2013, 06:19 AM
Careful now....they did that with Superman Returns....and that was rubbish as well....

eldargal
06-10-2013, 06:20 AM
I'm really looking forward to it. Not overly interested in Superman, hated the films like Kirsten (never understood the fuss about Christopher Reeves as a result, tragic what happened to him but from what I saw of his acting... Must be a generational thing). I read some rumours on a comic book site that if it goes well Supergirl will be in the inevitable sequel and that interests me more.:p

DrLove42
06-10-2013, 06:21 AM
It does look very good. Definently buying on DVD....

Learn2Eel
06-10-2013, 06:24 AM
As far as I am concerned, unless it is really bad, I will still go see it at some point and grab it on Blu-Ray as soon as it comes out. I've never been into comic books much but the ideals that Superman represents really inspire me. Plus, if nothing else, it looks like the action scenes, soundtrack and acting will be more than enough to justify my time.

On that note, the new theme is simply jaw-dropping.

Wolfshade
06-10-2013, 06:33 AM
I don't understand the whole premise, he lived on a world that had much higher gravity so he was stronger and faster than a normal man. He could leap tall buildings, then suddenly, oh and he can now fly, oh and now he can run faster than a speeding bullet, oh now he can fly faster than light, oh he can fly in space, oh he now has xray vision, the xray vision has now been upgraded to laservision.

Redacted more times than something that has been redacted a lot of times.

The big trouble with Superman, in order for it to be interesting he has to have a weakenss, either Louis Lane or Kryptonite, or a combination of the two.

eldargal
06-10-2013, 06:36 AM
In the comics the sunlight from our sun reacts weirdly with Kryptonian physiology and gives them all the abilities. It's still weird but it's a bit better than the high gravity thing in my opinion.

Wolfshade
06-10-2013, 06:40 AM
In the comics the sunlight from our sun reacts weirdly with Kryptonian physiology and gives them all the abilities. It's still weird but it's a bit better than the high gravity thing in my opinion.

Was that another redaction?

Learn2Eel
06-10-2013, 06:40 AM
I remember reading an article on IGN celebrating his most recent anniversary, and the comments the editors and audience left were pretty heartfelt. I think I recall seeing someone point out that, sort of like Batman, his real weaknesses or what define the character have deeper meaning. His true strength is not his super-powers, but his faultless morality. His biggest weakness is not Kryptonite or Lois Lane, but the emotional ties to both worlds. He's very much an orphan of two "families" who doesn't really fit in with anyone, but fights for both. In the case of Kryptonite, it is a representation of the painful and limited memories of his first family. With Lois Lane, it is a reminder of the mortality of humans and of how he will outlive her as much as he did Pa Kent. At least, that is how I've seen it described.

I think the new movie definitely seems to follow those ideas though. The whole "if I become morally compromised, I could destroy/rule the world" thing seems to be present in some form.

eldargal
06-10-2013, 06:41 AM
Was that another redaction?

No idea.

Learn2Eel
06-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Anyone else have goosebumps listening to the theme in the trailer?

Nabterayl
06-10-2013, 07:18 AM
His true strength is not his super-powers, but his faultless morality.
+1 to this - I think the reason Superman movies are so hard to make is that it's hard to write a character whose defining superpower is faultless morality. Conceptually, I think that's exactly what makes the character compelling. Superman is an unabashed, defiant statement that heroes don't have to be morally flawed either in the DC Universe or in real life. I think that's an interesting and worthwhile statement to make and defend, but hard to present through a compelling narrative.

chicop76
06-10-2013, 07:33 AM

No it was the gravity. All he had was leaping, strength, and speed. They added everything else and retcon the sun.

They explained red sun inhabitants was super powerful in the yellow sun.

Than they realized that any red sun people would be super powerful, so they changed it to be superpowerful you have to dip in the yellow sun for awhile.

Wonder if the will kill supergil again and make her a lesbian, it's ho the comic portrayed her I am not making it up.

eldargal
06-10-2013, 07:40 AM
I don't think she is a lesbian in New 52, unless I haven't got up to that yet. Fairly sure in the New 52 reboot it's just the sin, heavy gravity hasn't been mentioned at all I'm sure.

Learn2Eel
06-10-2013, 08:18 AM
+1 to this - I think the reason Superman movies are so hard to make is that it's hard to write a character whose defining superpower is faultless morality. Conceptually, I think that's exactly what makes the character compelling. Superman is an unabashed, defiant statement that heroes don't have to be morally flawed either in the DC Universe or in real life. I think that's an interesting and worthwhile statement to make and defend, but hard to present through a compelling narrative.

Yep. It reminds me of an image in that IGN article I mentioned earlier with a meaning that I think is lost on a lot of people (which is fair enough as Superman doesn't strike most as having depth). He saves a young Goth woman from suicide - she tries to jump off of a high building - hugs her and tells her "You are stronger than you think." The idea of a god saving a compromised mortal and giving her hope intimates the belief that all humans can strive to something greater. Fundamentally, it is to give one the self belief necessary to stand tall in the world as an equal.

You rarely see stories of real life people truly inspired to greatness or to fight on by a fictional character, but Superman not only manages it, he does so frequently. There's a reason he is the most iconic and well known of all superheroes, and it has nothing to do with the fact that he can throw tanks at the stars.

Psychosplodge
06-10-2013, 08:19 AM
I don't understand the whole premise, he lived on a world that had much higher gravity so he was stronger and faster than a normal man. He could leap tall buildings, then suddenly, oh and he can now fly, oh and now he can run faster than a speeding bullet, oh now he can fly faster than light, oh he can fly in space, oh he now has xray vision, the xray vision has now been upgraded to laservision.

Redacted more times than something that has been redacted a lot of times.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/df0bfb8cefc7e1e2d0a7a5b022cd4bf0/tumblr_mnupmmFYKX1so9972o1_500.jpg

chicop76
06-10-2013, 08:36 AM
I don't think she is a lesbian in New 52, unless I haven't got up to that yet. Fairly sure in the New 52 reboot it's just the sin, heavy gravity hasn't been mentioned at all I'm sure.

I forget about the 52. Tooo many recons for me to catch up. I thought Marvel was bad with it. At least Marvel did the same thing after Xavier tried to kill everyone. They realized bad ideal to retcon everything and tried t put every thing back.

The new 52 reminds me of that, but superboy and too many differant wirtters really screwed up DC's contunity.

Kirsten
06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
the problem with superman is that there has never been any tension. When you watch an action film of any kind, you know the good guys are going to win. the question is how are they going to get there, they are often weaker and come up with an ingenious solution in order to triumph. or they just shoot everyone, which is fun too. Superman has any number of ways to win. it is literally impossible for him to lose, so I find it impossible to care about the journey. There is nothing he cannot do, and almost nothing that can hurt him. Oh look, he saved the day. of course he saved the day, he can rewind time and try again until he wins.

Nabterayl
06-10-2013, 10:26 AM
I think that's the weird issue with Superman stories. He can be philosophically compelling, but it's very difficult for him to be dramatically compelling. The interest of the story has to come from Superman's challenging moral example (essentially making Superman a supporting character in somebody else's story), or wrestling with his own internal commitments. Trying to hang the tension of the story on whether Superman can overcome a given physical or tactical challenge won't work.

Kirsten
06-10-2013, 10:40 AM
yeah, I know he is popular and that is great, I am glad people have another film to get excited about and hopefully enjoy, but for me personally, I have always found him just about the least most interesting character ever...
give me an anti hero any day, more Punisher for the win :p

Brakkart
06-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Anyone else have goosebumps listening to the theme in the trailer?

YES! And I'm a huge fan of John William's iconic Superman score and was very dubious about it not being used in the new film. That new theme is brilliant. I'll be getting the soundtrack cd for the film for sure.

chicop76
06-10-2013, 11:25 AM
In the animated works it looks like they depowered superman to make the story compeling. Like getting his butt beat by darksied twice. Superboy getting upper hand on him in young justice. Batman beats the crap out of him, kryptonite. Superman get shot with a kyrptonite bullet twice. Besides darkside it's kryptonie.

However in most of the recient animated works he mentions he holds back a lot. He doesn't want to kill which restrains his actions further. I liked superman vs the elite cause when he held back they was hurting him. When he let's go he beats them with no effort. Same in justice league when darksied was getting beat when superman decided to cut loose. He had to cheat, it's in his character to stop superman from beating him to a pulp. When he fought in the movie, superman stop holding back and darksied was brely holding on. He got the upper hand when he finally cought superman, but he was barely keeping up.

The reason why the last Superman or one of the reasons it was so bad was he had a ******* son. It's like Jesus almost having the same situation. We tolerated him sleeping with Lois, but the kid part took it on a whole new level.

eldargal
06-10-2013, 11:25 AM
The music is good. As I said I've never been a fan of Superman and I'm hoping this film will convert me.

The reason why the last Superman or one of the reasons it was so bad was he had a ******* son. It's like Jesus almost having the same situation. We tolerated him sleeping with Lois as it was one of the iconic features of Superman for decades, but the kid part took it on a whole new level.
Fixed that for you.:p

Wildeybeast
06-10-2013, 12:59 PM
The music is good. As I said I've never been a fan of Superman and I'm hoping this film will convert me.

Read Red Son. It's the best Superman story there is and it's awesome. That will convert you.

chicop76
06-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Is that Lawerence Fishborne, don't tell me he is playing Perry White.

Just looked at Morphus filmology and he is Perry White.

Might as well got Will Smith to play Superman and Jada Smith to play Lois Lane. Will Smith's son can play Jimmy.

Superman's real father could be played by Morgan Freeman. Oh and Zod could be played by Samuel L. Jackson.

Pa Kent could be played by Darth Vader.

Learn2Eel
06-10-2013, 08:22 PM
What?

DarkLink
06-10-2013, 08:34 PM
That's one of those posts that you read, then re-read to try and figure out if it's racist or something, but you can't quite tell.

Learn2Eel
06-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Anyway, IGN gave Man of Steel a 9/10 and they are pretty darn spot on with their movie reviews. This is one of the best days of my life.

chicop76
06-10-2013, 09:33 PM
That's one of those posts that you read, then re-read to try and figure out if it's racist or something, but you can't quite tell.

I'm black. If you are going to use a black guy for superman use John Irons which would make sense. Don't do a Dare Devil and turn a white character into a black one. I think it's even worst that Perry White is played by a black man.

It's like J.J. from spider man being played by Denzel Washington. Hey Dark Vader is black and was played by James Earl Jones, well the voice was. You should listen to the actor you played Dark Vader talk.

I like Morphus though. I can see him play a role like that. I think it might be similar to his role in School Daze. "Wake Up!" anyway no racism wasn't intended. I am just saying why stop at Perry White. Whoppi Goldberg can be superman's foster mother for example. Halle Berry can play his real mom.

Anyway when I saw Lawerence Fishborne with the grey streaks I had to make sure he was indeed Perry White. It would be cool if he goes bullet time and help superman out. Maybe Superman is the one? Maybe this is Matix 4 and Superman is really Neo and Zod is Agent Smith.

If anything all jokes aside I would really like it if they use Zod's trade markline "kneel before Zod!" It was soooooooo awesome. I need to see that superman again.

DarkLink
06-10-2013, 11:17 PM
If Joss Whedon could make "Hulk, Smash" work, and JJ Abrams "Kaaaaaahhhhhhnnnnnnn!!!"....

chicop76
06-11-2013, 01:02 AM
If Joss Whedon could make "Hulk, Smash" work, and JJ Abrams "Kaaaaaahhhhhhnnnnnnn!!!"....

'Knell before Zod!" "Avengers Assemble!"

"This is madness? No! This is Sparta!!..."

Wildeybeast
06-11-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm black. If you are going to use a black guy for superman use John Irons which would make sense. Don't do a Dare Devil and turn a white character into a black one. I think it's even worst that Perry White is played by a black man.

I don't see any issues with them changing his ethnicity. It makes no difference whatsoever to the nature of his character.

Mr Mystery
06-11-2013, 12:22 PM
So because someone's surname is a colour, their actor should follow suit?

Or have I missed something in the reading?

If so, to make a film about Take That, Jason Orange will be no end of casting trouble.

Kirsten
06-11-2013, 12:24 PM
never seen Deep Purple play before, I feel like I should now.

Insert_nickname_here
06-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Read Red Son. It's the best Superman story there is and it's awesome. That will convert you.

Yes. Red Son was excellent! One of my friends always said he liked Superman when he appeared in Batman (most obviously The Dark Knight Returns), and I think I agree, he works better as a yard stick to measure other heroes against.

And Kingdom Come was brilliant as well.

chicop76
06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
So because someone's surname is a colour, their actor should follow suit?

Or have I missed something in the reading?

If so, to make a film about Take That, Jason Orange will be no end of casting trouble.

So a black superman is ko that. I'm all for it!

Brakkart
06-11-2013, 10:57 PM
So a black superman is ko that. I'm all for it!

There already is a black superman (or very close anyway), his name is Icon from what was Milestone comics and now part of DC.

chicop76
06-12-2013, 06:36 AM
There already is a black superman (or very close anyway), his name is Icon from what was Milestone comics and now part of DC.

You mean Icon. I have to look at him again. I can't remember if he is a possessed slave or was a slave. His sidekick is rocket.

Or

John Henry Irons aka Steel, they had a movie starred by Shaq :( it was bad.

I have no problem with black characters. I have a problem with turing one race into another just to get a token black person in the movie, that's what I have a problem with. Instead of going who is black, wait John Henry Irons is let's put him in the movie and not give him his robot superman suit. They could had put rocket in there without Icon giving her the equiptment she have, because she didn't meet him yet.

So when I say turn superman black. I mean turn clark kent black. That's what you doing to Perry White that has been portrayed as a white man fore about 70 years.

Don't get me wrong. I really like Fishborne. He will bring awesomeness to the movie. However I am familiar with Perry White and changing his race is not cool with me. The same goes for the Kingpin in Daredevil.

Agent Fury from the Avengers is differant. They can get away with it since they are using the ultimate version of Fury who has been around for awhile. They didn't just make Fury black in the Three Avengers movies they put out already. He was already black. Ultimates they are rewritting the main stream how they want too.

The other two examples they didn't have existing material they just did so for the movie.

It's like Electro for Spiderman 2. If he's black in the ultimates or currant spiderman I can live with it, but if they made him black to be making him black is what I have problems with.

Learn2Eel
06-12-2013, 06:59 AM
I don't see how Laurence Fishburne playing Perry White automatically makes him the "token African-American man" in the movie.....
He is an accomplished actor, was suitable for the role and thus was chosen to perform it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pretty good reviews for this movie so far. I can't wait to go and see it!

eldargal
06-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Personally while tokenism is irritating I think it is better than nothing. If it weren't for tokenism I think 95% of Hollywood films would have no women in the main cast. Including chick flicks*.:rolleyes:

*Really they would just be 90 minutes of Robert Pattinson and Chris Pine walking around in underwear casting smoldering looks at the camera.

chicop76
06-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Personally while tokenism is irritating I think it is better than nothing. If it weren't for tokenism I think 95% of Hollywood films would have no women in the main cast. Including chick flicks*.:rolleyes:

*Really they would just be 90 minutes of Robert Pattinson and Chris Pine walking around in underwear casting smoldering looks at the camera.

If they want a token in the movie, so it's not all white than that's fine. Use a black, woman, hispanic, etc. Character that alreay exist. That's my problem.

It's like this.

We got the scrip everything for superman. Got the cast, we good to go. Do we have a blackman, can't forget about the token blackman. Look through cast, oh my gosh we forgot to do that. We will have to re write the script. Wait don't do that. Let's make someone black. What about Jimmy, nahh will piss people off to much. What about Lois, you kidding right! What about Perry White. Hmmmmm no one really cares about this character and it reduces the piss off factor greatly. Go with him. What about Lawerance Fishborne. Perfect! He's a great actor and people would probably like the black Mr. White now. Ingenious. Let's re write 70 years of comic fiction.

Now if they went we need a n African American Man ( I don't like that term case I am not from Africa I was born in America) to play a token roll in the movie. Let's look up black supporting characters for Superman. John Henry Irons would had been perfect. You could had morphius play him as well.

It's like making J Jonah Jamerson Black. I just can't picture that. JJ jamerson is a copy off Mr. White, but more emotional. Mr.White comes off more fatherly at times and knowledgeable when not yealling at Lois and Kent to get the scoop.

I wonder if we will see Clark Kent as the reporter, so far it seems that he won't be or maybe at the end.

chicop76
06-12-2013, 07:24 AM
I don't see how Laurence Fishburne playing Perry White automatically makes him the "token African-American man" in the movie.....
He is an accomplished actor, was suitable for the role and thus was chosen to perform it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pretty good reviews for this movie so far. I can't wait to go and see it!

He's the only black guy in the movie and the character was a white man turned black. How is that not adding a token Man of Color to a movie full of Caucassians.

Learn2Eel
06-12-2013, 07:27 AM
He's the only black guy in the movie and the character was a white man turned black. How is that not adding a token Man of Color to a movie full of Caucassians.

Where was it confirmed that he is the only African American in the movie? I don't see it anywhere. Among the lead cast, that may be the case so far, but more than a few of the supporting cast will very likely be of African American descent.
It is not tokenism when clearly they thought he was the best actor for the job, it is Laurence Fishburne after all. He is a great actor. If the person they cast was an unknown or an actor with very little justification to be in this movie in that particular role, then maybe I might have agreed with you. But considering who it is, I definitely think they selected him not because of his ethnicity but because of his talent and qualifications.

And about a "white man turned black".....Bane is supposed to be of South American descent, but he is clearly of European heritage in The Dark Knight Rises, and one of the few characters that actually speaks with such an accent. And yet, I don't see anyone complaining about that. Is that tokenism?

eldargal
06-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Well a good proportion of the South American population is of European descent.:) White washing is a big problem in Hollywood though. But I really don't think there is a lot of evidence to suggest they desperately cast Fishburne to be the token black man. The film was actually delayed by six months for changes so they had ample time to re-write the role for him anyway.

Learn2Eel
06-12-2013, 07:42 AM
You get what I mean though, Bane in most versions of Batman has a clear South African accent, as well as a somewhat tanned skin tone. Bane in The Dark Knight Rises had neither. Clearly, as it is with Laurence Fishburne in Man of Steel, Tom Hardy was the best suited for the role.

Wolfshade
06-12-2013, 07:45 AM

That may have improved some of the catwoman films...

Wildeybeast
06-12-2013, 01:30 PM
I don't get what the issue is here. If this was Macbeth or Hamlet played by a black man, no one would give a toss about their skin colour (and indeed they haven't when that's happened), only how good they are at representing the character. The only reason Perry isn't black in the comics is because there is no way a black man would have been editor of world famous newspaper in America in 1940 (the same reason none of the rest of the characters are black). If the character were created today, there is every chance he would be black. So whilst it may be 'tokenism' to include a black man (which I don't think it is), it's hell of lot better than the inherently racist America represented in the early comics.

As to why John Henry Irons isn't there, why would he be? They are trying to re-establish the Superman film franchise, cramming it with extra characters is not the way to go. Lex Luthor didn't even make the cut, so there is no way Irons would. This is a brand new take on the franchise, not comic book cannon, and so they are free to put whatever revisionist take they like on it. Just like a director reinterpreting Shakespeare.

Wolfshade
06-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Don't forget Sir Partick Stewart did Othello reverse, which was rather good.

DarkLink
06-16-2013, 10:58 PM
As to why John Henry Irons isn't there, why would he be?

Just saw it and liked it, but even Perry White seemed shoehorned in whenever he showed up other than when he was acting as Louis Lane's boss. Cutting back to him and the other reporters escaping from collapsing skyscrapers was a big distraction for me. More secondary characters would have only made it a bigger distraction.

Also, there should have been more of Superman punching people through skyscrapers. After the first awesome fight scene, I didn't care much about the plot, and just wanted to see Superman beat the crap out of bad guys.

chicop76
06-16-2013, 11:14 PM
What plot. I wanted more Russel Krowe.

" This is Madness"
" No! This is Krypton!"

Poor lady got blasted. Can't remember if it was before are after the This is Madness line.

Kevin Costner was a cool dad, but I don't know where they was going with it. " you saying I should had let them die" " Maybe." Don't save anyone, let them die. I get it, but thought it was on the extreme passive side.

I felt Clark had a horrible angry childhood.

Kirsten
06-17-2013, 06:50 AM
superman, gay allegory for our times...

http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/film/2013/06/14/why-new-superman-gay-allegory-our-time

Deadlift
06-17-2013, 07:17 AM
What a bunch of bull****, sorry but just no.

eldargal
06-17-2013, 07:44 AM
It's not as odd as it may seem Marvels X-Men in particular have often been used, deliberately, as an allegory for various social struggles. I can certainly see LGBT people identifying strongly with Superman by the sound of it but I think the article is getting a bit too enthusiastic all the same. Of course it doesn't have to have been a deliberate choice for to still be used as an allegory.

Nabterayl
06-17-2013, 07:55 AM
I think all the article is really claiming is that LGBT persons will resonate with the movie for specified reasons. That really seems uncontroversial to me.

chicop76
06-17-2013, 08:07 AM
I think the movie would had been better if it was just mindless action for the plot was stupid. I was gonna put spoilers, but decided against it. From this point I will be talking about the movie reveling little, but telling you the plot, by not tellikg you the plot.

Most people by now know the supermn story. Here is my issues with the movie.

Let's say for ages you have the cure for cancer, but the cure makes your race weaker and just plain full retard. However you do not have cancer and live longer. Your whole race is born with it, but object x is the only thing that cures it.

We get no back story on object x, where it comes from or etc. All we told is object X cures cancer, which is supposed to be good enough. Don't question object x or the plot just falls apart.

Now we have a person who didn't go full retard and is born cured no cancer. He is the hope of the planet, so his father takes object x and give it to the person who didn't go full retard. Here is where why x is sooo important if this guy is immune to cancer and can start spreading his seed so to speak with out object x.

Than we throw in the pie rat who wants to steal all the loot. He simply kills everyone even though they are dying from the plague that is uncurable. When told about a person that can be born without cancer is reaction is that it needed to die. While killing raping, and plundering he must have object x, so he can ensure retards can live even though they are dying from a plague.

Than the plague kills everyone, but the pie rat. Ironically as punishment foe killing and looting he is saved and cured. Instead of trying to cure themselves the retards die off.

We than fast fowrd and find out that the retards left the planet thousands of years ago to colonize other planets, but cause they didn't have the cure they all died off.

I am still trying to figure out why they have the means to make more of their race, but knowing they need object x it seems like a waste to even start a colony in the first place. Damn retards.

I can go on about object x and how stupid it was. You couldhad taken out object x, and you know what it would had changed absolutely nothing. The only thing it does I can see is to explain why the colonies would die off. Which brings us back to why colonize if object x is needed.

Than weget some really retard crap
With the pie rat and his crew. Our hero has strugged 33 years against the awful earth. We get that he made sacrifices and took a long time to center one self. However the pie rat and his retards don't have 33 years to center themselves. The key of cenrering oneself you become smarter than everyone else. However it's obvious Mr. Pie rat and hus crew really not worried about being smart. Since our hero have a huge advantage over the pie rats and retards. Our pie rat says screw it and centers himself in like 30 seconds, I say roughly 30 min our pie rat is able to center himself, while our hero takes 33 years.

What I find even more retarded is once it takes 30 seconds to center himself. He goes on tosay who wants to take 33 years to do so even though it took him 30 seconds when he decided to try centering himself. Than goes on to pretty much say I don't want to be smart atg all. I am going to make the whole planet go full retard.

If you see it twice and anaylze the plot you ask yourself why. I thought AE plot was bad. The problem with AE you are trying to figure out why they even bother putting Earth in the movie when it can be any planet. Them being on Earth by movie's end had no significance or any meaning. However AE had more story than Superman.

Personaly what amazes me is the acting is good. Russel Crowe, Kevin Costner, Lawrence Fishborne where really good. At one point I wish Crowe was the main character. Too me he was awesome and more interesting than Superman.

The only character in the movie you feal invested in is both Superman's dads. Everyone else just felt there.

The female villian was pretty awesome and kicked butt too. Makes me want to watch superman I-II again.

Deadlift
06-17-2013, 08:10 AM
The author of the article can interpret the movie to have a hidden meaning all they like. But I don't beleive that Supermans background story was ever ment to be anything other than what it's written as. Many of the posters under the piece seem to agree with me. Sure both Marvel and DC have alternate reality comics and story's changing characters backgrounds but this isn't one of those. This is a tradional reimagining of Superman updated. That article is nothing more but wishful thinking.

chicop76
06-17-2013, 08:27 AM
The author of the article can interpret the movie to have a hidden meaning all they like. But I don't beleive that Supermans background story was ever ment to be anything other than what it's written as. Many of the posters under the piece seem to agree with me. Sure both Marvel and DC have alternate reality comics and story's changing characters backgrounds but this isn't one of those. This is a tradional reimagining of Superman updated. That article is nothing more but wishful thinking.

Perry White wan't token we had a 3 star general as well. So you had two black people in charge and everything goes to hell. Reminds me of Morgan Freeman as president when a meteor hit the planet.

I did't read the article yet. I think a lot of miss opurtunity was in this movie. It's like they took superman and just threw in elements like they had too. A good example is clark kent.

The movie does in a way make you focus on Clark than on Superman. Superman comes off as the ulter ego.

In most Superman movies etc, Superman is the focus and clark is an after thought. In a way I really like that. Reminds me of Kill Bill, this movie in a way goes against Bill's Superman theory.

Deadlift
06-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Actually I should take back some of my rant, I guess I can understand what the article was saying about being able to understand and relate to Supermans story. Not because he is gay, but because he isolated himself from others due to his differences. Yeah I can get that. Sorry if I came across homophobic in anyway as I'm certainly not. I initially read the story and saw "Superman is gay" and flew into a "don't **** with the canon rage"

Psychosplodge
06-17-2013, 08:52 AM
. I initially read the story and flew into a "don't **** with the canon rage"

I get this everytime there's a new star wars announcement.

Marshal2Crusaders
06-17-2013, 12:29 PM
I liked the space Jesus motif. It was hands down a great movie.

DarkLink
06-17-2013, 01:16 PM
I liked it, but there were enough flaws that I think 'great' is an overstatement. It spent too much time moping about with heavy-handed messages about how much Superman got bullied as a kid, and not enough time on actual moving moments like how Superman's dad died, and the battle with Zod, while consisting of some cool fight scenes, really was little more than two cool fight scenes.

It had all the right elements, and did a decent job with them, but it was imbalanced in how much time it dedicated to each aspect of the story. It needed some more editing.

Nabterayl
06-17-2013, 01:27 PM
Actually I should take back some of my rant, I guess I can understand what the article was saying about being able to understand and relate to Supermans story. Not because he is gay, but because he isolated himself from others due to his differences. Yeah I can get that. Sorry if I came across homophobic in anyway as I'm certainly not. I initially read the story and saw "Superman is gay" and flew into a "don't **** with the canon rage"
Yeah, I don't think it was claiming to have any insight into Superman, just saying, "I saw this movie, and here is why it totally hit me in the feels." Which, you know, is always legit.

I agree with DarkLink that it was good and had the right take on things, but didn't synthesize all the elements in the right proportion. And Not-A-General Zod hit a pet peeve for me. But I think that having a Superman story that is willing to take a chance that Superman can be compelling as an aspirational figure entirely separate from a Lois Lane romance is a huge step forward in the history of Superman cinema - a big enough step forward that I was interested the whole way through despite the presence of some flaws.

DarkLink
06-17-2013, 02:40 PM
I think the fundamental problem was all about pacing. It started off pretty good, Jor-el was nice and badass, but then it spent like five hours showing how much superman was bullied and ostracized, and then -BAM- Zod shows up -BAM- fight scene 1 -BAM- superman kills Zod and saves the day, all in like the last ten minutes.

I might be exaggerating a little;). But the pacing was off, and that kept a good movie from being great.

chicop76
06-17-2013, 04:37 PM
I think the fundamental problem was all about pacing. It started off pretty good, Jor-el was nice and badass, but then it spent like five hours showing how much superman was bullied and ostracized, and then -BAM- Zod shows up -BAM- fight scene 1 -BAM- superman kills Zod and saves the day, all in like the last ten minutes.

I might be exaggerating a little;). But the pacing was off, and that kept a good movie from being great.

No that is about right. They never really went into the Codex. I can assume it might be the first kryptonian

Marshal2Crusaders
06-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Nolan makes movies like this in sets of three. When viewed in sequence I'm sure the pacing will be less f a problem. It's meant to be a story arc not a stand alone piece. It's already made almost as much as it cost to make and its only been 4 days. On day one it outsold returns.

DarkLink
06-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Well, remember, Nolan wasn't the director. He was just a producer, and they used his name for advertising.

Deadlift
06-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Went to see it this evening, lord it was so much better than I expected. Russell Crowe was fantastic as was Kevin Costner. I really am not a DC fan. Marvels my thing really but I couldn't fault this movie at all. Great story and plenty of action. Roll on number 2
Oh and I know Lois Lane was supposed to be the eye candy, but Supermans kryptonion mother. Oh my she was very lovely. My only critic which isn't one really is that General Zod was easily overshadowed by his hench woman who was far more sinister and nasty. 8/10

Nabterayl
06-21-2013, 04:20 PM
It didn't detract too much from my enjoyment of the movie, but I felt like Zod was a weak link. Michael Shannon did a fine job with the character's intention and immediate emotions, I thought, but ... well, he didn't seem like someone whose job was to be the administrator of all of Krypton's armed forces and yet still thought of himself as a warrior. There were high-ranking human officers who I thought did a much better job of looking and feeling and seeming like soldiers. Zod seemed like a principled villain character ... but not a general. I thought other main characters, like Jor El and Jonathan Clark, did a great job of letting their characters' off-screen lives and backstories come through in the way they influenced their on-screen actions. Compared to them, Zod felt like a man with no history.

Kirsten
06-22-2013, 04:48 PM
the new adventures of superman is the best moving picture rendition so far because it focuses more on clark kent.

Necron2.0
07-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Finally saw the movie. I cannot wait until this comes out on DVD and snippets of it invariably make their way to YouTube. There's a Zod sound bite that belongs in the repertoire of short, preformed 40K responses.

Learn2Eel
07-08-2013, 01:33 AM
Finally got to see the move, and I must say I thought it was great. Lots of good points, but to keep it short, *sort of spoilers* my favourite scene in the whole movie was when Pa Kent saw the hero Clark would become. Just him watching Clark run around with a red blanket as a cape, standing there and just watching him. After Clark said to his mum that he was sad his dad would never see him become the hero Pa Kent knew he would be, and the Mum telling him that he did; it was just a perfect scene. Nearly brought me to tears.