PDA

View Full Version : Fleshhounds are stupid good!

chicop76
06-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Well I seen Fleshhounds in action and to me they weren't all that great. They got shot up or lose combat to srength 8 or higher. I also see them get shot up.

So far it seemed like a gimmick play. After seening them used and realizing they are toughness 4 and not 3 I decided to run a squad of 20.

I'm a fan of damonettes and just love how the models performed for me so far with all the buffs I give them. It than dawn on me endurance was a waste on daemonettes since it will not die is great on multi-wound models. The endurance birth is thus born.

Also I thought I need the +3 invulnerable save to help keep the unit alive. Now you looking at endurance and +3 invulnerable save. Which equals awsome.

To get endurance and to keep up with them I have been using a winged Tzeentch prince. I also play testing a old clean one as well.

However if I roll a 1-2 the hounds could die. Hince the addition of Fateweaver. Prescience, invisibility, flame shield love there.

I also deploy differantly with my hounds. Everyone goes for the turn 1 attack, which means you have to go second. The problem with this is I seen hounds blasted apart and the tactic is good due to terrain. If I can clearly see you I can blow your guys away depending what army I am using. Also I noticed on squad of hounds isn't enough.

I usually go first and scout move my hounds if I do. If I go second I try to scout them in really nice terrain or simply don't scout them up.

The purpose is to buff the hounds and they weather the shooting attacks while my army advances.

This tactic so far has worke extremely well. Only thing that shut it completly down was Eldar.

In all my games I luck up and get endurance and cast it on the hounds and with a 3+ invulnerable they become very hard to kill with feel no pain and wound regeneration.

Today 20 hounds was able to tie up 2 squads of 10 gaunts, hive tyrant, swamlord, 3 hive guard, and a trygon. The rest of my army tore apart and capture the objectives. We had to end at turn 3 which I lost 8 of 20 hounds by than. 300 points vs almost 1k points.

What helped was I had flame shield, which hurts assaulting units and gave me a +2 invulnerable save vs shoting attacks. While his big stuff was smashing away they only was killing 1-3 hounds thankx to a 3+ or 2+ invulnerable save. Prescience helped me wipe out the 20 gaunts and helped with me on instability.

The one problem I had was toughness 6 and the +2 or +3 save on the other side made it hard for me to wound his guys with him wining combat a few times with when all the gaunts was gone.

Fateweaver was helpful several ways. I was able to keep an extra hound alive when I failed a save all 3 times due to a re roll on his turn. Also I use Fateweaver to re roll warp storm twice which helped me nuked. The other player once with stre 8 blast and helped me get a +2 / +4 invulnerable saves for my army, had a 3 on the first roll. I got the +2 again, by using Fateweaver ability to re roll one dice. I rolled a 6 and two on the warp storm table, so I re rolled the two and got a 4.

Also I learnes the tzeentch beam attack can be helpful if I line up 3 tervigons and give them +6 feel no pain for one wound a piece, hey triple vecto strike what can I say.

Today was the best my unit has everdone. However the second best was when they had invisibility, endurance, prescience, and +3 invulnerable save against necrons, was nasty.

The biggest proble is multi assaults and armour 11 rear vehicles. To glance death armour 11 they all have to assault the vehicle. That being said I always multi when possile. By doing s you can keep units tied up all game long, o you may eventually kill them. Once tied up my 30 daemonettes who can't usually get shot up come and finish the job.

Have 3 MC's tht fly is helpful. I am strongly thinking about doing 2 and one unclean one. The problem I see with that the old clean one may never enter combat. I might do a hearld with plague bearers instead. I just want mor reliable endurance rolling onstead of hoping to get it on 3 rolls with my Tzeentch Prince.

SON OF ROMULOUS
07-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Only issue i have with this is that you are relying on other units in your army to keep the hounds alive and to keep them buffed. my hounds are an allied detatchment to my berserker force. Thus they do not get all of the buffs to keep them in combat. And from the sound of things your list runs a ton of psychers to buff those units. So the hounds will only preform well when they are buffed up. how did you rate them on the turns that they did not recieve their buffs? what were your plans for them if your psychers are removed from play or if they failed to cast any of their powers.

I believe alot of the strength of the dex is in taking a balanced army. But if your like me and taking them as an allied force you do not have access to the warp storm table. you do not have access to a psycher esp since im a worl eaters player so i look at what they can do for me when they are on their own.

chicop76
07-06-2013, 11:41 PM
I am running pure daemons. Fateweaver pretty much insures grimore rolling and good warp storm rolling.

Fate Weaver 4 powers
Prince 3 powers
Herald Tzeentch 3 powers
Herald Slaanech 2 powers
Total 12 powers

I at a minimum throwing out about 10 buffs towards my entire army. However I usually switch the buffing to the daemonettes and other models late game. However since the hound in turn one is usually in the armies face I need to buff the hell out of them so they do not die.

I am still working out the kinks, but I usually have 2 buffs on the rest of my army quite easily as well on my daemonettes.

I had people try to kill off my psykers, but it usually don't work since the hounds are almost garented to multi assault rathr easily at that point. You have 1 mc, hounds, 2 daemonette squads in your face, plaus fate weaver.

SON OF ROMULOUS
07-07-2013, 01:30 PM
I know for me running them as an allied detatchment i cannot get all of the other buffs so i have to be more careful with how they are used. they are already backed by world eaters. but those cannot assault until turn 2-3 usually. so taking those hounds with karnack is almost a must for me simply to allow for a cheap unit to take the heat off of some of my other units to allow them the time to get into position.

chicop76
07-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I know for me running them as an allied detatchment i cannot get all of the other buffs so i have to be more careful with how they are used. they are already backed by world eaters. but those cannot assault until turn 2-3 usually. so taking those hounds with karnack is almost a must for me simply to allow for a cheap unit to take the heat off of some of my other units to allow them the time to get into position.

I think Karnack is a waste for the hounds in my opinion. If I did use him I would throw him on a unit of bloodcrushers which would be able to do what the hounds do thanks to Karanack, also Karanack hurts my own psykers :(.

I prefer a herald due to possibly having riftbringer/ rampage & rage/ hatred/ portalglyph.

SON OF ROMULOUS
07-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Eh the problem i have with crushers is their super expensive so until i find some on ebay that are cheap thats a no go lol. and i dunno i think it depends on what you are looking for your unit to accomplish. the house imo are used as mainly a distraction but also a threat their number of attacks while they don't ignore armour are nothing to laugh at. and their speed makes them enough of a threat. i just like to make you pick what to shoot at. making it so that you have those tough choices to make. shoot the hounds or shoot the land raider. both will be on you turn 2 guaranteed if not turn depending on luck.

chicop76
07-09-2013, 05:17 PM
I have crushers, but wouldn't use them unless I went mono khorne. Personally I think Khorne/ Slaanech/ Tzeentch with biomancy princes is where it is at.

I am thinking of running a black mace prince, but rather the tzeentch prince tha can get additional powers a turn. Depends on how many artifacts you can run with, which I think you can only take one.

Oblits and helldrakes are awesome, but I don't know about troops yet. I guess cultist in cover is not bad and space marine chaos troops are a little sour, can bring melta or plasma to the table. However I am leaning toward a master 3 sorceroer than a prince though.

SON OF ROMULOUS
07-09-2013, 06:27 PM
dunno my lists have to be very balanced and im talking knifes edge balance my gaming core plays everything... we have orks ig another buddy has eldar tau sm chaos ig reaver titan ect... and the other guy brings dark eldar or guard sm and dark eldar make list building a challenge simply because of the variety of opponents.