PDA

View Full Version : Scout and Infiltrate is it useful?

chicop76
06-07-2013, 05:19 PM
I always wondered is the above is useful. Having both allows you to infiltrate and you can scout. If you have this ability it's can be looked at as rather good due to having 6"-12" movement added to your scout move. This does several things.

1. It puts 6" moving models within 12" of the enemy. Also if you move 12" it puts you a mere 6" away.
2. The drawback however is if you do scout or infiltrate you can't assault.

Another thought I had is what if you place models where they can't be seen( it rarely happens unless it's a new player). Like 12" away. Now when you scout you are 6" away or 1" away.

The problem here is that you have to survive a lot of turn1 shooting to than assault or you get assaulted your self. Not saying you should do it, but someone might see something and let the community know. Hince why I publish my ideals here which makes everyone's gaming experance better.

However I have been using hounds from daemons and they work rather well. They can't infiltrate, but they can scout. What surprised me is they did better going first which allows for deeper penatration within the enemies deployment zone. It allows you to put endurance, invisibilty, and +3 invul save love on them. All though they can't attack they are buffed and you can pick and choose who you want to assault especially if you run with them. Most preach go second which gives you 1st turn assault, but your hounds now get shot to death without any buffs.

With the hounds in mind it had me thinking doing both abilities might be viable. Also the thought about possible shooting as well. You may not be able to assault, but you can easily shoot.

The key here is to go first. This allow you to deploy your army and for your enemy to deploy his. When you infiltrate you will be able to set up knowing how your enemy deployed. Also if he doesn't steal the initiative you can further move up.

That means a marine scout can infiltrate 18" away and than move 12" away thanks to scout. When it is time to go first you can move up 6" away from the enemy, or 1" away if your movement is 12". Heck you can touch his back board edge in some cases quite easily. Am I telling you to scout infiltrate a bunch of scouts within rapid fire range. No and yes. In some case that rapid fire alpha shooting would be nice. Also Dark Angels have the dakka banner where all you have to be is within 24" and one scout squad is firing 40 times when your shooting comes around.

As any tactic you have to see if it works with your style. The cool thing is that it can throw off your opponent since most people won't do something like that. In some cases it would be stupid and in others brillant startegy. Timing and proper placement is the key.

Next what units can really benefit from this. I am bored enough to go through a few books and see. If you find anything that can let us know.

Space Marines:
Scout Marines
Scout Bike Squad

Quite frankly I wouldn't be sacred if either two was in my face. However they both can have homing beacons. With drop pod assault you can have your drop pods land exactly where you want. Your scouts or at least 12" away which can bring your pod 6" away droping on target and another 6" for your guys come out guns a blazing. If anything your bikes can fire their 3 grenade launchers in rapid fire range rather easily.

How ever I still think just droping the pods in 12" away from the edge still works and your 6" disembark can correct any diviation. In this situation I don't think it's very useful.

Grey Knights:
Vindicare Assassin

He has infiltate and can have scout. Might say otherwise in FAQ. Anyway I don't see any benefit at all doing this. The other two assassins besides the calladius, but they don't have infiltrate. Only benefit is he is within pistol range and can move and shot since he is soo close, but he will die.

Blood Angels:
Same as Marines

The main differance is they can be fearless with furious charge, oh no. Since they can't assault or if they could they would be dead to rapidfire which means no help here. However it might be viable due to inerno pistol and meltas with drop pods. Might not be a bad ideal to make sure you hit on target.

On thought is to put scout bikes with a bike priest. You can't infiltrate, but you can scout. This will allow you to move up 12" and another 12" on your game start. If you do above you will now have fnp and furious charge aura on your guys. When turn two comes around you can assault or if you get assaulted or shot you will have fnp helping your guys out.

The priest/ biker ideal might be better if you let them shoot you in the bottom half and than assault them at the top of turn 1.

Space Wolves:
Wolf scouts

This is where you can have some options. If you go first turn one you can be within 2d6 melta range of a land raider. I know they can come from behind. If you take the one elite with a combi-melta you can get 2 melta guns within 6" of your target at the start of turn on. I personally would keep the squad cheap since they would probably die after they melta said vehicle.

With dark angels just quan blast everyone. Take lots of scouts.

That's about it on who ca do both infiltrate and scout. I notice marines have that on lock down.

Wolfshade
06-07-2013, 05:24 PM
The usefulness of it is quite situational.

Very useful if they have homing beacons to draw units down, but otherwise I don't think so. Though, that could be because I tend to use snipers and missile launcher on the scouts.

To get the best benefit you really need the shotguns/cc style. But then you have issues with the size of the squad their resilence.

DarkLink
06-08-2013, 12:48 AM
If you could do it with, say, Paladins, it would be pretty awesome. But I can't think of any units that can actually do it that it would be very beneficial.

chicop76
06-08-2013, 03:44 AM
If you could do it with, say, Paladins, it would be pretty awesome. But I can't think of any units that can actually do it that it would be very beneficial.

Not too many units get both. However if a unit had scout and an ic had infiltrate it would be awesomes as well, but it's like they mad sure not too many units can do this. Besides wolf scouts or using svouts as homers I don't really see the need to do so.

Hmm scout and dreadknights are cool with the 75 point upgrade. Can you do the 18" as a scout move???

Demonus
06-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I use it for outflanking.

DarkLink
06-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Not too many units get both. However if a unit had scout and an ic had infiltrate it would be awesomes as well, but it's like they mad sure not too many units can do this. Besides wolf scouts or using svouts as homers I don't really see the need to do so.

Hmm scout and dreadknights are cool with the 75 point upgrade. Can you do the 18" as a scout move???

No. They're not scout "moves", they're scout "redeployments" now. For precisely this reason, actually. But 12" scout plus Jump Infantry is pretty awesome, even if you don't get to assault T1.