PDA

View Full Version : A New Approach to Unit Balance and Costing - an Open Letter to GW

Matthew David Townend
06-07-2013, 02:47 AM
Total Rethink: Unit Design and Balance – An Open Letter to Games Workshop Designers

By Mephistoned

I don’t know about anyone else, but I frequently find myself scratching my head and (other hard to reach places) over GW's unit design and costing. On the one hand we have the laughably ineffective mutilators, on the other the terrifyingly cost effective nightscythe, and all shades of expensive, broken and mediocrity in between. I’ll forgive codex entries that were not written for 6th such as the vendetta, but now we have the new Eldar codex and I am seeing the same rotten old mistakes being made again. Banshees? Come on! Sigh.

Now it might seem the problems of unit design and cost are connected – just lower the points cost and everything is fixed right? Well, no actually. Frankly, with those rules, even if you were giving mutilators away for 25 points a pop, I still might give them the finger just for the opportunity cost of a lost FOC slot, and the fact that they aren’t likely to do anything.

And this got me thinking about units in a totally different way. You see I don’t think cost is so important. It is nearly impossible to truly balance units perfectly against each other with all their different variables and stats. But what is important – is usefulness. Every unit should have a clear purpose, and more importantly, it should be good at it. That’s why you’re going to include it in your army, because you want what it does. This also implies that it does what it does better and in a different way to everything else in the codex – otherwise there will be some units that are clearly worse. This is what is called internal balance.

So I’m going to go out on a limb here and offer a totally new way of looking at units, in terms of their usefulness, their role, in your army. I’ve formulated a simple way of costing them that is linked to that role, and I believe this may actually solve a lot of our problems. Balance: it doesn’t have to be taxing…

THE THEORY

So what is a unit’s role? Let’s try four simple categories (we’re going to be adding more later).

Objective Holders – In an objective heavy game, troops need to be able to take objectives. Here speed (grabbing) and durability (camping) or both (midfield) will be key in order to get there and hold it. Leadership is also a factor here. NB - costing like this is screwed up by kill point games, or by Big Guns Never Tire, which might be an argument for dropping scenarios which so fundamentally affect unit role. Troops are costed as being valuable if they stay alive on an objective – screw with that then you’re screwing with their cost.

Shoot – units designed to shoot should (duh!) be good at shooting their preferred target. It doesn’t matter too much what that preferred target is, as long as they are good at shooting it. Yes some units can be good at shooting more than one target but since targeting rules don’t make that very practical, they should not pay too greatly (if at all) for that added flexibility. Fire a meltagun and missile launcher at a Battlewagon and those bolters are all wasted.

Melee – again units designed for melee need to be good at it against their preferred target, but also need to be able to reach it. The availability of transports should be costed into the vehicles rather than the troops. However, it is imperative that they do have a realistic way to reach melee (looking at you Howling Banshees, though Scorpions got some love…).

Enhance – these units, be they psykers, commanders or even transports, make other units better. That’s their purpose.

Now many units have at least two roles, some have three, rarely all four (in fact I can’t think of any – possibly Strike Squads who have warpquake – open to debate). Let’s start costing things by saying that a unit with one role that it is good at costs 100 points – the number of models in the unit depends on how many it needs to be good at that role. The base 100 points can be tweaked (usually downwards) but actually this shouldn’t be necessary - EVERY unit should be good at its primary role and so should be scoring a near perfect 100. If it isn’t – change the rules Kelly!

Now we add the secondary or tertiary roles. The problem is (and here is the crux of the problem for GW unit design at the moment) giving a unit more utility doesn’t change the fact that it may only be able to perform one role at full effect: I can’t shoot and melee if I’m stuck in combat; I can’t sit on an objective and melee; I can objective camp and shoot but I’m further away, LOS etc. Furthermore, and here’s the clincher, if it dies just easily it really doesn’t matter how much utility it has (indeed the greater the utility, the greater the bullet magnet). So let’s price the second role at 50 (again can be adjusted depending on effectiveness). In fact, you are more likely to need to adjust this down as many units are not as effective in their secondary purpose.

Let’s say additional roles after the second should be out of 25, again scalable downwards. You can see what I’m trying to do here. By discounting multiple roles I am preventing point inflation on single units that can easily be killed by dint of being a single model. Purchasable upgrades that add more roles or effectiveness to a unit should be costed very cheaply for this same reason. Points inflation of an easy to kill unit creates a bullet magnet that is too easy to kill to fulfill its role – ie. a points sink and likely a waste. Yes I can take flak missiles, but if I’m firing them I can’t fire my normal missiles, I lose a point of strength AND you can kill me just as easily as normal marines – so why the hell am I paying through the nose for it?

And now the final part to the formula, the only real maths here - which will further reduce the points cost in many cases. After adding up all the points for purpose, we will multiply that score by a factor between 0.1 - 1.0 according to survivability. Now this is not an exact science, but the question to ask is for a unit of that type, facing a likely range of enemy weapons, how well will it survive? If it’s rock-solid, multiply it by 1.0 (ie. no change to the cost). If it’s grot-worthy, multiply it by 0.1. Remember we are looking at the WHOLE unit here, be it 20 orks, 3 paladins or whatever. Leadership is also a factor here as it may just be run off the board if it’s low.

Ok so far this is all high theory and arcane mathematics. It’s more intuitive than a cumulative costing approach where fearless costs 10 points, jump packs cost 35 etc etc etc. However, I believe the focus on having an effective unit vs. survivability is what is going to make the balance tick here. It also forces us to make sure the unit is actually capable of doing something.

So let’s start looking at some units – I think cases will be better illustrations than theory anyway. 10 units should suffice. I’ve drawn on these as well-known and varied examples from different codexes.

Nightscythe

Primary: transport – 100/100 (it’s an amazing transport, fast, no need to hover etc.)

Secondary: shoot – 50/50 (it shoots damn well with S7 and multiple hits)

Tertiary: enhance – 10/25 (I think its protection of its cargo, far better than other transports, deserves an enhance score, not to mention it’s FOC non-presence)

Survivability – 0.8 (it’s a flyer, lowish AV but living metal – pretty good)

Points – 128 – we can round off to 130. Is that reasonable for a nightscythe? Sounds not bad to me, but we need to recost some other units first and see how they compare. Fundamentally I think the nightscythe’s rules are fine, since it is good at something. The only real issue was the undercosting.

Plague Zombies (20)

Primary: objective holders – 100/100 (20 zombies with feel no pain and cover should do alright holding an objective)

Secondary: melee – 20/50 (well, they’re not great but in large numbers…)

Survivability – 0.4 (they’re not terribly survivable but better than some)
Points – 50 (rounded up) – too cheap for 20 zombies? Yes. Probably. Why? Because they can do something else – they can tarpit like nobody’s business – and that is a serious consideration, even in a melee-orientated army. So now we need to go back and add tarpitting as another purpose.

Primary: objective holders – 100/100

Secondary: tarpit – 50/50

Tertiary: melee – 10/25

Survivability – 0.4

Points: 65 rounding up. Remembering you’ll still need to pay the Typhus tax for his enhance ability, I think that’s not too bad, a little cheaper than now, but we still need to do a comparison with other recosted troops. There is still room for tweaking, but we’re getting effective units that are in about the right area regarding cost…

Tactical Marines (10, no upgrades)

Primary: objective holders – 100/100 (yep, 10 marines in power armor and with ATSKNF is not bad at holding an objective)

Secondary: shoot – 30/50 (10 bolters does alright against preferred targets but it’s not an incredible output)

Survivability – 0.7 (yes, they’re reasonably survivable in these numbers and with the 3+)

oints: 90 points rounding off. Notice I didn’t even give them a melee tertiary because it really isn’t their purpose (if they’re doing it, they’re pretty much screwed). This is our first big points difference. I reckon a meltagun AND a missile launcher (all missile types included) should both cost no more than 5 points (what one gains in penetration it loses in range). That’s 100 points for a unit that can score and hurt most targets to some degree. It’s 9 points a marine, and mostly you are paying for the ability to sit on an objective. That looks really about right to me – they are not in practice going to be vastly more effective than the plague zombies in their primary role, but they do add some pew-pew.

I think we are onto something here. Let’s tackle the dragon in the room…

Heldrake

Primary: shoot – 100/100 (hell yes, the baleflamer can shoot - cannon needs BS4 to even begin to put it on an even keel)

Secondary: melee – 50/50 (we will call the vector strikes melee, and they’re pretty damn good, fast, unavoidable, and with no opportunity for the enemy to strike back!)
Survivability – 0.9 (a flyer, demon, it will not die, AV12 – yeah pretty damn good, only the AV10 asspipes prevented 1.0)

Points: 135 on the nail. Slightly over the nightscythe. At first glance I thought this was too cheap, but troops (the Heldrake’s lunch) are now falling greatly in price, lowering the drake’s impact. The heldrake is not a transport, it’s not enhancing anything, it’s just all kill, and it may not even show for several turns. It’s not invincible either, especially once we make our anti-flyer units effective at their purpose (which we will have to factor into survivability later, as right now it’s pretty high). Fair.

Rhino

Primary: transport – 80/100 (yeah, it moves…but we have to leave something for the fast and the skimmers)

Secondary: blocking – 20/50 (arguably quite useful at providing cover and being a pain)

Tertiary: shoot – 5/25 (stormbolter. Yeah.)

Survivability – 0.3 (well it’s not great is it?)

Points: 30 rounding down. Not far off original pricing and fair I think. Rhino’s have utility in being a transport and not much else. Frankly, with first blood they are a liability, but you can hide them I suppose and in any case we can’t cost them much lower without making them free. What you lose in first blood you gain with mobility in linebreaker… What would be interesting now would be to recost drop pods with the new survivability rules (they are VERY survivable in terms of fulfilling their purpose, which makes me think they might end up pricier than rhinos…). But I digress…

Crimson Hunter

Primary: Shoot – 100/100 (four lascannon shots? BS4? Yes please!)

Survivability – 0.6 (well it’s a flyer, it can jink and be useless, but AV10 means even bolters are scary...)

Points: 60. WOW. Major difference from the real thing. Crazy cheap? Well… it might seem so – that’s 15 points a lascannon shot. However, that really is all the CH does – shoots armored stuff. Yes, enemy flyers might fear it if it comes on second. But it’s so easy to kill and so mono-purposed it’s hard to justify a higher point score. Ok the firepower output is exceptional, beating down even the mighty Vendetta. So we could revise it thus:

Primary: Shoot – 120/100 (yes, it’s ok to go over the maximum if we need to!)

Survivability – 0.6

Points: 70 rounded off. I feel more comfortable with this number, but maybe 60 was on the ball. In the end, I would rather make the CH more survivable and thus be able to give it a higher points cost worthy of its output. Cost is no way to fix bad unit design. A simple holofield (4+ cover save) would do it…

1 Broadside (Missileside)

Primary: shoot – 80/100 (awesome output, but of limited range or use against higher AVs)

Survivability – 0.6 (it’s a single model, it has a 2+ save, it sucks in combat but is unlikely to end up in combat)

Points: 50 rounding up. For the output I think this is ok. Skyfire, interceptor (should be able to have both) and other enhancements should all be less than 5 points a piece. We don’t want too much points inflation. Every system added is more points lost when the suit is dead. A shield drone or generator could be more expensive, maybe 10, as they’re upping survivability.

10 BA Vanguard Veterans (jump packs but no other upgrades)

Primary: melee – 100/100 (meaty – 40 attacks on the charge)

Survivability – 0.9 (with jump packs, DoA, heroic intervention, 3+ armor save, it’s not bad! Only overwatch prevents the 1.0)

Points – 90. Holy cow. The same as tacticals? Am I braindead? Am I, in fact, a plague zombie? Well, remember, thinking about purpose. These are not objective holders – they can contest, but they can’t win you the game as tacs can. They do one thing well, hit stuff, and they do it without getting shot up first, but then they may not even turn up early on in the battle. Adding cc weapons (cheap <5), storm shields (more pricey – maybe 10), special weapons etc would up the unit cost. Compare this to their cost now, which is ludicrous despite their usefulness as breaking up castles. Wait – now there’s a point – they do have one more purpose – making the opponent afraid. Let’s recost.

Primary: melee – 100/100 (meaty – 40 attacks on the charge)

Secondary: psychological – 50/50 (these are really going to change the way your opponent deploys)

Survivability – 0.9 (with jump packs, DoA, heroic intervention, 3+ armor save, it’s not bad! Only overwatch prevents the 1.0)

Points 135. Now that seems a little fairer. Whilst it may seem I am simply making up purposes to hike up points costs when I feel something is undercosted, I think that is exactly the right thing to do. Often when I feel something is undercosted, a little more deep thought makes me realize why the unit has more utility than I first realized. However, it’s still not breaking the bank due to the survivability factor and the lower cost of the secondary purpose. 10 vvs without upgrades = 1 heldrake in game value? Yeah, I’ll buy that. They are both highly effective units now at what they do.

Ork boyz (20)

Primary: troops – 100/100 (yeah fine, not super survivable but that comes later)

Secondary: melee – 50/50 (60 attacks on the charge)

Tertiary: shoot – 25/50 (20 shots isn’t insignificant, but BS2…)

4th: tarpit – 20/25 (yes in these numbers…)

Survivability – 0.3 (there’s 20 of them but still…)

Points – 60 rounded up. 3 points a boy. Slightly cheaper than a zombie. That might surprise, but since the primary function of both is as troops, zombies are certainly better just for holding objectives. Boyz win in melee, but with low survivability and no innate way to get there except footslogging, this looks about right to me (and I threw in every possible use for them to bump up the cost). Yes you could max out your troops section for 540 points and buy 180 boyz. A horde. But such a force is so unweildy on the table, so prone to bottlenecks and blasts, would it be viable? 30 boyz is now the same costs as ten tacticals. Standing and shooting a tactical squad is likely to kill about that many boyz as they cross the board unless they get cover - which is as it should be.

Ork Truk (with a big shoota)

Primary: transport – 100/100 (not great on numbers but its fast and open-topped enabling assault)

Secondary: shoot – 20/50 (a bit)

Tertiary: blocking – 15/25 (doesn’t have the size of a rhino…)

Survivability – 0.2 (poo)

Points – 30 rounding up. A bit cheaper than the rhino. Probably about right but again this may be a unit that is so useless as to hardly be worth the points. A seriously good kustom force field system for a mech (who pays for it heavily through enhance) might make this work. Note that this means 20 boyz in 2 truks would about equal 10 tacs with weapons and a rhino. Who will win? My money is just about on the orks but it’s not clear to me – and that’s the way it should be. We can still tweak points costs remember… Let’s cover those most mistreated of wailing women…

10 Banshees 10

Primary: melee – 100/100 (yep they do alright at what they do and cut up power armor, they are fast, we'll ignore the stupid grenades omission)

Secondary: shoot – 20/50 (a bit)

Survivability – 0.5 (considering both their armor and speed)

Points – 60 rounding up. Wow. Cheapo. Less than a tactical, about double that of an ork boy. Whilst this seems fair, it isn’t fluffy since it would force you to use Eldar, the dying race, their elite special forces, their very women for godsake, in a khorne cultistesque war of attrition. Er, no. I would personally fix them with the following changes: I would make their masks remove overwatch (as I think they did in 2nd edition) as well as lowering initiative to 1 (Jain Zar’s could additionally affect WS, or even more usefully remove all overwatch in an area of effect – goodbye clumped together Tau); also we need a wave serpent more akin to the old EPIC one – where units can actually hide behind its shield and gain a save. I would actually give the serpent shield a 3+ invulnerable (front only) and the rule that any unit that has all models touching the hull gains this save as well. Now your banshees can either run up with the serpent or disembark and expect to survive until they can assault. The serpent here is doing an awesome enhance job so needs to be well costed appropriately…

There is one more unit type we perhaps should look at… the big boys.

Wraightknight

Primary: shoot – 100/100 (yep it shoots tanks fine though one might argue the output is a bit low. It really should be pushing over 100 for such an impressive model…)

Secondary: melee – 50/50 (yep, it can hammer tanks which seems to be its purpose)

Tertiary: psychological – 25/25 (it’s a bullet magnet, and will change the way your opponent behaves on the board, especially if deep striking)

4th: Linebreaker – 25/25 (with this speed and this durability, this deserves a special mention)

Survivability – 0.9 (it can still be taken down by certain weapons – poison, snipers – but it’s not bad!)

Points – 180 rounding up. Quite a big discount, even after I threw every role and the kitchen sink at it. I would prefer it was more expensive actually, and to justify that it needed a more impressive damage output from shooting. Given that the shield dents the firepower, I think it should hardly cost much at all (arguably it switches primary role from shooting to melee).

CONCLUSION

I’m sure many of us have tried recosting our units and I hate to think what kind of mathematical monsters have been created in the process. My method above is quite quick and easy (and FUN) to do. In fact I’d love to continue on and so more units. Maybe another time. You could easily use this method yourselves to get an idea of true value.

We ended up with eight basic roles:

Shoot
Melee
Objectives/ Linebreaker
Transport
Enhance
Psychological
Tarpitting
Blocking

But there may be more. I hope if this reaches the eyes of anyone involved in design at GW, then they will take away the point that units are only as good as their ability to do something useful (and every unit should do that one thing well) and this needs to be cross-referenced directly with their ability to survive to do that thing. All extra rules/ upgrades/ etc. are only to be found in support of that key purpose, so beware price inflation.

What I love about this system here is that it really is quite intuitive. There is still room for tweaking through playtesting and similar unit comparisons (which is now MUCH easier). However, even these rough and ready scores laid out here seem much more reasonable to me than what we have seen recently.

The other key takeaway is unit cost does not compensate for unit obsolescence (mutilators). Make the unit useful and we’ll take it in our lists. Cost-effectiveness will always be an issue, and some units will always be a bit better value, but it should be a matter of a few points, not in the dozens. Gamers wouldn't argue so much over a few points. I think a lot of the cries of broken and under/overcosting recently have been sadly valid.

With flyers in particularly, GW design has gone badly off the rails (just look at the Nephilim that is expensive, fragile, and can't even fulfil its stated primary role of interceptor), and I can only imagine they are using some kind of costing process that is additive (X ability = X points, + Y ability = Y points and so on) with a little margin for playtesting tweaks, resulting in these vastly overinflated prices in units that are not even going to last a single turn.

These problems need to be fixed and can be with a little careful thought.

Maybe for 7th edition? Banshees, Phil Kelly? A little more thought? Please?

Mephistoned

Mr Mystery
06-07-2013, 06:41 AM
Excellent. A letter to a seasons games developer from someone with likely no experience whatsoever in said field.

That's bound to work!

Now, anyone care to write me explaining exactly why my approach to resolving financial complaints is flawed? No actual experience necessary. As a mere professional, I'm sure your ignorance will eclipse my knowledge!

Wolfshade
06-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Excellent. A letter to a seasons games developer from someone with likely no experience whatsoever in said field.

That's bound to work!

Now, anyone care to write me explaining exactly why my approach to resolving financial complaints is flawed? No actual experience necessary. As a mere professional, I'm sure your ignorance will eclipse my knowledge!

Because you don't use a rifle...

Mr Mystery
06-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Because you don't use a rifle...

I use letters....and jurisdiction. That's better than a rifle, as they're always in my sights!

bfmusashi
06-07-2013, 07:19 AM
I use letters....and jurisdiction. That's better than a rifle, as they're always in my sights!
>.<

Wolfshade
06-07-2013, 07:21 AM
It is a vailliant attempt but there are some concerns and this applies to all costings even the book values is that it is dependent on the local meta.

GW does a lot, and I do mean a lot of play testing. Based on feedback from that they tweak everything in the game from points to rules.
They have their internal play testers and there are a group of external play testers who play in gaming clubs in different parts of the country if not the world. This should significantly increase the army preference.

This mechanism for point costing becomes increasingly difficult with working out different load-outs.

If we consider the humble tactical squad how many options do we need to try and balance:

- 6 different squad sizes
- 4 different "special weapons" (including the null option)
- 6 different heavy weapons (including the null option)
- 10 replacements for the sarges bolt gun
- 10 replacements for the sarges bolt pistol
- 2 different wargear options
- 6 different transport options + no transport and all of the weapons combinations
- Combat squadding effects or no

Then this becomes very difficult and a lot less straight forward than presented.

The BA assault squad is quite the nightmare as you can load them out for melee and that would be their primary objective, or you can load them out with meltas/plasmas and go tank/heavy infantry hunting and there their primary objective is shooting.

Things are very situational as well, a melta gun within half range is brilliant verses mech but against infantry is no better than a normal bolter, infact arguably worse as it is assault 1 not rapid fire.

Synergy again is very difficult to price, Death Company + Chaplain (or Reculisarch) is almost a no-brainer combo but the chaplain with a vanguard veteran squad is not nearly as effective. So put the price on the DC, but then if you don't take the chaplain then you are being "taxed" for something you don't have.

Also, GW are not just rule makers they are model makers and their business is to sell said models, so there is a possibility that they would undercost (points) brand new models/units to encourage there purchase. This creates imbalance but whether it actually exists or is a perception bias based on new kits people are less familiar with so are unsure how best to deal with is unknown.

Wolfshade
06-07-2013, 07:22 AM

I know about money I spend it all the time, letters won't work!

Wolfshade
06-07-2013, 07:44 AM
10 Man Terminator Squad with Thunderhammer & Stormsheild
Primary - meleé. 90/100 - High strength but striking at I1
Secondary - psychology 50/50 - Bullet magnets and people move to avoid these things
Tertiary - Tarpitting 25/25 - 2+/3++ these guys aren't going anywhere
Survivability - 1 one of the best saves in the game

165 points - seems legit.

lattd
06-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Having helped play tested the LOTR work before it moved in house, the problem with 40k is there is no bench mark, but due to the nature of 40k it would be impossible to have one.

Now lets look at banshees people agree they need grenades but if they were 1 ppm more expensive that would be too cheap they would be too deadly when you consider the overall codex but just right for that unit, 2 points and they are too fragile and expensive.

Learn2Eel
06-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Mod note: User banned for repeatedly breaking commenting rules, ignoring warnings.

What?

Bitrider
06-07-2013, 08:23 AM
I applaud you taking time to offer up a suggestion. You enjoy your hobby so much so that you take time to articulate your thoughts. It is very possible that GW will never take up your suggestions, but that doesn't mean something in your suggestions might not spark a thought and influence a designer in some way.

Denzark
06-07-2013, 08:30 AM
I think you think only of usefulness transferring to table top effect. GW look at usefulness in a whole different way, because a unit that is cack on the tabletop may be very useful in creating a fluffy army or a cinematic game (think Warp Talons for a Night Lords Army, or Sentinel Power lifters in some scenario based thingy).

This tells me that you are Mr competitive and have ruled out the wider aspects that GW sees are key to the game (TMIR), thus you will miss out on understanding how they view balance.

darthslowe
06-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Yeah, the problem with this idea is assigning numbers to unit effectiveness. How do you assign a number to survivability? How do you assign a number to how good a unit is at holding objectives? It's subjective. Unless you include a formula for how to assign numbers there will STILL be variation because some people think units are terrible and others good.

The other problem is that the point scale is terrible. Take the Land Raider,
100/100 for primary capability of transport,
40/50 for shooting (yes, it has high strength shots, but it also has mid-strength, it isn't anti-tank or anti-infantry)
25/25 for whatever you want tertiary to be.
Survivability is a 1.
So a Land Raider should be 165 points (much too cheap). Huh, if that doesn't show the problem with this system then nothing does.
You could immediately fix this by saying that the Land Raider has two primary purposes and assigning two numbers out of 100, but why is the Land Raider getting assigned two primary purposes?

Like I said, the problem is that this is much too subjective.

Wolfshade
06-07-2013, 09:08 AM
The other problem is that the point scale is terrible. Take the Land Raider,
100/100 for primary capability of transport,
40/50 for shooting (yes, it has high strength shots, but it also has mid-strength, it isn't anti-tank or anti-infantry)
25/25 for whatever you want tertiary to be.
Survivability is a 1.
So a Land Raider should be 165 points (much too cheap). Huh, if that doesn't show the problem with this system then nothing does.
You could immediately fix this by saying that the Land Raider has two primary purposes and assigning two numbers out of 100, but why is the Land Raider getting assigned two primary purposes?

I think you have missed a couple of options that it could also do:

Linebreaker - 15/25, quicker than walking and certainly very durable.
Psychological - 25/25, how often have we seen games where this is the sole focus of fire during turn 1 & 2
Blocking - 20/25, one of the largest silouttes in the game

Which puts it at 205 which is better than perhaps the 165, I think the 10 TH/SS is a better example of it's short comings here (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?33098-A-New-Approach-to-Unit-Balance-and-Costing-an-Open-Letter-to-GW&p=315626&viewfull=1#post315626)

Apollinarius
06-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Secondary - psychology 50/50 - Bullet magnets and people move to avoid these things

And this is why the whole costing method presented by the OP is garbage.

Costs only matter relative to other things. Yes, a Crimson Hunter is expensive if you use it poorly and it gets shot down by bolter fire. But it's cheap if it takes out a Land Raider on the turn it arrives. Yes, a Wraithknight is expensive if you compare its wound absorption ability to Plaguebearers. On the other hand, if you look at how many deep striking terminators it can remove in one round, then it's not so bad.

The cost system in no way takes into account the fact that Crimson Hunter is a vector dancer, and therefore able to hit the rear armor of enemy flyers 100% of the time or that a player can deploy so that the Helldrake can't land any hits with its flamer on the turn it arrives. It's much easier to avoid a flamer than a 36" range shot from 8 inches above the board.

DarkLink
06-07-2013, 12:43 PM
What?

Strawberries. (that probably won't make sense to anyone but me)

HERO
06-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Valiant attempt, but they don't care because they're a models company, not gaming company.

Games are secondary, and meant to be B&P, hence why they don't care about poor rules.

eris
06-07-2013, 02:28 PM
You're also examining squads in isolation, which is well.. ridiculous considering teh ability to buff and be buffed which makes a very large number of squas usefulness linked to what they are fielded with.

I appreciate the thought you put into the system, but ultimately i think it's a little misguided.

LordGrise
06-07-2013, 04:56 PM
An open note to Mr. Mystery, with prior-to-recieving acknowledgements for flaming: Sir, this is the General Discussion board. If that is the extent and direction of your input on this subject, then with all due respect, be silent. Quit trying to discourage the open discussion of a subject.

Big Red, if you feel the need to thump me, then so be it. I felt this needed to be said.

Matthew David Townend
06-11-2013, 02:38 AM
Of course they wont care a jot. But it gets thebrain cogs turning...

Matthew David Townend
06-11-2013, 02:41 AM
I agree in isolation its a bit pointless. Thats why we need a score or enhance to cover what a unit can do for another. Obviously that score expects you to enhance a unit that can benefit...

Matthew David Townend
06-11-2013, 02:45 AM
It is a vailliant attempt but there are some concerns and this applies to all costings even the book values is that it is dependent on the local meta.

GW does a lot, and I do mean a lot of play testing. Based on feedback from that they tweak everything in the game from points to rules.
They have their internal play testers and there are a group of external play testers who play in gaming clubs in different parts of the country if not the world. This should significantly increase the army preference.

This mechanism for point costing becomes increasingly difficult with working out different load-outs.

If we consider the humble tactical squad how many options do we need to try and balance:

- 6 different squad sizes
- 4 different "special weapons" (including the null option)
- 6 different heavy weapons (including the null option)
- 10 replacements for the sarges bolt gun
- 10 replacements for the sarges bolt pistol
- 2 different wargear options
- 6 different transport options + no transport and all of the weapons combinations
- Combat squadding effects or no

Then this becomes very difficult and a lot less straight forward than presented.

The BA assault squad is quite the nightmare as you can load them out for melee and that would be their primary objective, or you can load them out with meltas/plasmas and go tank/heavy infantry hunting and there their primary objective is shooting.

Things are very situational as well, a melta gun within half range is brilliant verses mech but against infantry is no better than a normal bolter, infact arguably worse as it is assault 1 not rapid fire.

Synergy again is very difficult to price, Death Company + Chaplain (or Reculisarch) is almost a no-brainer combo but the chaplain with a vanguard veteran squad is not nearly as effective. So put the price on the DC, but then if you don't take the chaplain then you are being "taxed" for something you don't have.

Also, GW are not just rule makers they are model makers and their business is to sell said models, so there is a possibility that they would undercost (points) brand new models/units to encourage there purchase. This creates imbalance but whether it actually exists or is a perception bias based on new kits people are less familiar with so are unsure how best to deal with is unknown.

Agreed there are many upgrades. But many wont greatly affect the role of the unit in winning you the game and thus shouldbe cheap. Survivability upgrades however do make a great difference and so need a higher cost.

Wolfshade
06-11-2013, 02:50 AM
A unit of standard boyz can be taken with slugga and choppa making them ideal melee units, whereas you take the shoota instead and they become primarily shooting.

It gives them a different role just by changing the wargear, unless you were to cost them as seperate units.

Matthew David Townend
06-11-2013, 02:52 AM

I think the costing is bang on here, except... Why 10 terminators when 5 is sufficient to perform all pf these roles. The benchmark that makes the points system work is that it should be the mimimum number needed to perform this role. This seems to be around 20 for GEQ 10 for MEQ and 5 for TEQ. So 5 for 165 is about right. As u said its one of the best saves in the game so we might need to exceed the 1.0 survivability score here. Still, since they are not troops there is still only a limited role they can perform (melee against high value targets).

Matthew David Townend
06-11-2013, 02:54 AM
So ur just changing melee for shooting as primary and secondary roles - barely worth a points change unless they do one much better tban the other...

Matthew David Townend
06-11-2013, 03:12 AM
Having helped play tested the LOTR work before it moved in house, the problem with 40k is there is no bench mark, but due to the nature of 40k it would be impossible to have one.

Now lets look at banshees people agree they need grenades but if they were 1 ppm more expensive that would be too cheap they would be too deadly when you consider the overall codex but just right for that unit, 2 points and they are too fragile and expensive.

Surelythe benchmark is that you pays your money, you get something useful.100 points you get an effective unit. Banshees fail because of the lack of a delivery system - a few points wont help at all, unless they get so cheap they become an elite throwaway unit. Arguments could be made for them as a cointerassault unit, or if terrain on the table is widely available, but we cant pin a units effectiveness on situational game conditions.

Wolfshade
06-11-2013, 03:15 AM
I would suggest that a squad of boyz does melee much better than shooting, a quick back of the envelope calculation I think would bare that out.

It then becomes slightly harder to work out as a minimum squad is not very survivable, but a large squad is and that might be obsfucated by just working out a cost per model and multiplying it through.

Wargear options are easier to work out like upgrading from boyz to ard boyz is straight forward.

After all, a squad of 30 boyz charging at your lines is more of a pyshcological threat than 3 squads of 10.

But the question is "What is sufficient" is quite difficult to determine. A game at the weekend my squad of 5 TH/SS was not sufficient for this role, after 3 turns of CC the last one fell in a big combat involving 3 big bugz and a couple of squads of gribblies. Now admittedly they did reclaim their cost and forced my opponent to deal with them they fell in combat. So, if my plan was tie this group up for the whole game they would need to be bigger. If my opponent had a different composition would this have been sufficient? Who knows.

The other thing that I thnk units are priced for is their rarity, now this has no in-game value but helps to keep elites elite so you pay a premium for terminators as they are rare fluffwise

Matthew David Townend
06-11-2013, 07:57 AM
I would suggest that a squad of boyz does melee much better than shooting, a quick back of the envelope calculation I think would bare that out.

It then becomes slightly harder to work out as a minimum squad is not very survivable, but a large squad is and that might be obsfucated by just working out a cost per model and multiplying it through.

Wargear options are easier to work out like upgrading from boyz to ard boyz is straight forward.

After all, a squad of 30 boyz charging at your lines is more of a pyshcological threat than 3 squads of 10.

But the question is "What is sufficient" is quite difficult to determine. A game at the weekend my squad of 5 TH/SS was not sufficient for this role, after 3 turns of CC the last one fell in a big combat involving 3 big bugz and a couple of squads of gribblies. Now admittedly they did reclaim their cost and forced my opponent to deal with them they fell in combat. So, if my plan was tie this group up for the whole game they would need to be bigger. If my opponent had a different composition would this have been sufficient? Who knows.

The other thing that I thnk units are priced for is their rarity, now this has no in-game value but helps to keep elites elite so you pay a premium for terminators as they are rare fluffwise

its quite true that what is sufficient is tricky but here is where you need to look at damage output. 5 th termies average 7 hits on most enemies which will put a nasty dent in most enemy squads. But they are not designed for hordes. in your game it sounds like they were a good tarpit for a while. 30 wounds will do it for 5 termies. i do think termies are a little overcoated and if 165 is right then that may explain their underperformance. A five wound T4 slow S8 3+ inv slow monstrous creature for 165 points? How would that compare to a bloodthirster for example? As it stands 5 termies cost more than a base riptide.

at 165 thats 33 a man. so the 10 strong uber hammer is 330. Sounds right to me.

Wolfshade
06-11-2013, 08:18 AM
One possible way to make some of this less subjective is to formulate a scoring for number of things killed per phase and apply that across the board.

Matthew David Townend
06-11-2013, 02:01 PM
That could work. I guess the obvious question is - how many killed of what...

But yes, mathhammer does help here, especially when we break down roles into shooting, melee etc.

We could use GEQ, MEQ, TEQ etc and different armor classes to compare directly - after all most units/weapons are supposed to be good at one of these specifically. Does a stealth team kill more GEQs than a firewarrior team? Given that they are both S5 this would be very comparable. How about vs. a guardsman unit? No problem - for pure shooting and benchmarked out of 100 - we could do this. It would get complex if you added in other unit types as secondary targets of opportunity however.

I still think role is more important than exact mathhammer though. Yes, firewarriors might be a more efficient shot per point than a stealth unit (actually should be other way round after costing for troops) but there will be other benefits. As long as every unit is functional in its fluff/tactical role and isn't overcosted for survivability - I doubt we would quibble.

Firewarriors - 10

1st - shoot - hell yeah - 120 - for range and strength they are exceptional - 20 S5
2nd - troops - err, not great, can't really hold a forward obj - 35/50
surv - 0.5 - consider leadership, poor melee, but ok armor...
80 or so. 8 points a FW, a tad less than a tac marine.

Stealth Team - 5

1st - shoot - ooh look 20 S5 shots - 120
2nd - linebreaker - not bad but they can't just sit it out due to melee - 40/50
surv - 0.5 - better armor, stealth, JSJ but there are less of them and they are going to be closer to melee...
90 so 18 points a suit.

As you suggest, some mathhammer could standardize a lot eg. how easily stuff would die for survivability scores, but you'd still have to factor in other variables like how close to the enemy they need to be etc. I still prefer a big dollop of intelligent intuition.

What's interesting is when we review units - we do just this. We look at whether they are good at something, and whether they will live or die to do it, and decide whether a unit is overpowered, balanced or underpowered. Intuition works well enough here, so why not use it to balance the units in the first place. It can't be that hard!

Apollinarius
06-11-2013, 04:17 PM
I think the costing is bang on here, except... Why 10 terminators when 5 is sufficient to perform all pf these roles. The benchmark that makes the points system work is that it should be the mimimum number needed to perform this role. This seems to be around 20 for GEQ 10 for MEQ and 5 for TEQ. So 5 for 165 is about right. As u said its one of the best saves in the game so we might need to exceed the 1.0 survivability score here. Still, since they are not troops there is still only a limited role they can perform (melee against high value targets).

But that's the problem. 10 Terminators have double the wounds of 5. Therefore, their survivability score should be double of the 5 terminators.

Same thing with Wraithknight vs Wraithlord. Wraithlord takes exactly half as much firepower to destroy and costs exactly half with the basic loadout. Yes, you can say that the Wraithlord does the Wraithknight's job for half the cost, but what if at the end of turn 1 you take 3 wounds on your Wraithknight? The Wraithlord would have been dead and useless, but the Wraithknight would get to participate.

You used a unit of 20 Zombies to show how your system is valid. Why not use just 10?

For Chaos Marine squads, you can take between 5 and 20. They don't cost the same. They don't perform their role equally well. 20 is easier to hit and reach with assaults. 20 also has more firepower, more wounds, and hurts more on overwatch. It's also harder to force a morale check on them.

Squad sizes are very important and any pricing calculation has to take into account the cost of additional models in a unit or, in the case of the Wraithlord/Wraithknight, the cost of more power in a single slot.

I used to have two Wraithlords in my army. I can replace them with one Wraithknight, freeing up a slot for a Fire Prism or another set of Walkers or Dark Reapers.

Wolfshade
06-11-2013, 04:45 PM
This is quite an interesting question.

What is the multiplier for survivability? Maybe some form of error function to increase the base score from the minimum size to the maximum.

The other interesting question is, if by taking X instead of 2Y and free up a slot do we apply costings for this, or rather is there a cost associated with the slot? If so then how do you account for this? This I am not so sure, for instance the Baal Pred sits in the fast attack slot ignoring it's innate extra abilities scout/outflank should it cost more than the standard pred that sits in the heavy support? (Obviously ignoring the obvious different armaments)

Wolfshade
06-12-2013, 12:49 PM
I use Whirlwinds frequently, the incendiary shells are really good for clearing gribblies from cover.

Matthew David Townend
06-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Survivability could probably be calculated fairly exactly, but as always it depends on against what weapon? What is the benchmark? If you took all the weapons in 40K, adjusted for their saturation on the battlefield (how often we are likely to face them), and averaged the strength... what would we get? I have a feeling it would still be somewhere around a bolter equivalent - a BS4, S4, AP5 weapon at 24, but I could easily be wrong. I tend to use this when thinking about survivability.

But there are other factors - yes, how close does the unit need to get to be effective? Leadership? Other special rules. Speed as well is important. So I'm not sure maths quite has the answer here. We are still able to look at a unit, playtest it, and say... that will get shot before it does anything useful. The banshee conundrum if you will. It would be a rare army that doesn't bring enough basic weapons to blow those ladies away in short order.

With higher save models (back to terminators) it's trickier. It takes (if my early morning head math is on) about 80 BS4 bolter shots to kill 10 tacs, and exactly the same to kill 5 termies. So termies are twice as survivable? Well... Then we have plasma. And Balesflamers. What can be said is that the termies need some kind of inv save (which they have) to protect them against these higher strength weapons which would make their 5 wounds very vulnerable. I gave 1.0 survivability to TH/SS termies due to the 3++. But they'd still fall to the same number of bolter wounds (BWEQs) as a tac squad.

How to cost for that? Give them the same surv score as a tac squad? But that ignores the fact that against many weapons stronger than BWEQs they are more likely to survive. In the end, you buy TH/SS termies because you are NOT expecting to face just BWEQs - you are actually hoping that they are going to be taking lascannon shots on their shields, otherwise you overpayed. You get what you pay for.

As for the 20 zombies ... well, it's a fair question, but it seemed to me that to do this job (objective sitter/ tarpit) 20 was really the right number to look at. You could buy 10 and sit them backfield of course - but it's only going to take 30-40 BWEQs to kill them. Still, I'm just using this to establish a model cost - you could still buy smaller units at the stated price.

Matthew David Townend
06-12-2013, 06:32 PM
I use Whirlwinds frequently, the incendiary shells are really good for clearing gribblies from cover.

Whirlwinds should be as cheap as chips really. How well do they shoot? As with any blast, they have the potential to miss entirely, something most other units will rarely do. If they hit, they are BWEQs when incendiary (ignores cover is nice), or a bit better if not. Clearly they are designed to be a GEQ killer and that's fine, but I do feel they should be nastier and more reliable in this role (remembering many hordes like Orks are T4).

I would change their strength to 6 (instagibbing GEQs) for the standard missile and 5 for incendiary (HF levels). And I would have some kind of rule whereby they had 4 missiles for a game (as per the model) - launched individually only 1D6 scatter, or more than one (or all 4) 2D6 scatter.

WHIRLWIND (in its current version)
1st - shoot - 70/100
surv - 0.8 (since they can stay backfield/ out of LOS)
55 (rounded off). Cheaper even than now. We should probably be able to buy these things in batteries of three - then they would be worthwhile uses of the HS slot.

DarkLink
06-12-2013, 07:12 PM
As with any blast, they have the potential to miss entirely, something most other units will rarely do.

WTF? You realize that BS4 misses 1/3 of the time? If you do the math, a small blast at BS4 hits directly 1/3 of the time, and of the other 2/3s it scatters 1" or less .44% of the time, so it's almost exactly as accurate at hitting the model you want as a normal BS4 shot. Except you can hit multiple models. And even if you scatter, you can still hit and kill stuff instead of completely missing like a normal shot. And if you're shooting at vehicles or large bases, you get much more accurate. And if you're shooting a large blast like the Whirlwind, you get even more accurate still. And if you're using a Barrage weapon, you have good odds of controlling where the wounds are allocated from. And you can still benefit from reroll to hit just like any other weapon.

So how are blasts less accurate than normal shooting?

Matthew David Townend
06-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Total Rethink: Unit Design and Balance – An Open Letter to Games Workshop Designers

Tactical Marines (10, no upgrades)

Primary: objective holders – 100/100 (yep, 10 marines in power armor and with ATSKNF is not bad at holding an objective)

Secondary: shoot – 30/50 (10 bolters does alright against preferred targets but it’s not an incredible output)

Survivability – 0.7 (yes, they’re reasonably survivable in these numbers and with the 3+)

oints: 90 points rounding off. Notice I didn’t even give them a melee tertiary because it really isn’t their purpose (if they’re doing it, they’re pretty much screwed). This is our first big points difference. I reckon a meltagun AND a missile launcher (all missile types included) should both cost no more than 5 points (what one gains in penetration it loses in range). That’s 100 points for a unit that can score and hurt most targets to some degree. It’s 9 points a marine, and mostly you are paying for the ability to sit on an objective. That looks really about right to me – they are not in practice going to be vastly more effective than the plague zombies in their primary role, but they do add some pew-pew.

I think Devastators are a prime example of this new design philosophy and where GW goes so wrong. Let's modify Devastators to actually be an effective shooting unit and then look at them.

DEVASTATORS (10, signum and 9 HB are included in base cost - yes 9)

Shoot - 130 - now putting out 27 S5 AP4 shots at 36" (similar to a fireblade enhanced FW squad) they can actually do what their name says

Surv - same as the tacs - 0.7

Points - 90 rounded off. The same as tacs. Insane? I don't think so. GW would just take the tac price and add on heavy weapons, but it's all about the role. Devastators don't take objectives. They are static - shooting is their one and only role and they need to do it well to deserve a look.

I've removed the terrible duality of HW and bolters (a bit non-fluffy but hey) and made them effective at their role - long range shooting. Upgrades to other HW should either be free (MM) or 5 (ML - with all missile types included, LC, PC). In fact I don't see any need for H weapons to go over 5 points here - every type has its fair pros and cons against the others, and we are not improving survivability only output. So a fully upgraded squad would be 135 points - for which you can have a good mix of HW (you are unlikely to want all the same, but if you want 9 lascannons - go ahead! Total overkill...).

This may look totally OP - but compare this to the new whirlwind price, or back against things like the Heldrake. Even 9 flak missiles is unlikely to bring down a drake in one go, but it is now a viable counter. Equally, a heldrake could take a serious chunk out of this squad if it gets a chance to. 9 lascannons are also by no means guaranteed to bring down a landraider (6 hits, 3 glances, 2 penetrates), but they should which is as it should be. Devastators are a HS choice. The landraider does a lot more than shoot, but devastators that's it - they must be good at it and be a threat the opponent needs to deal with.

What stops this getting totally out of balance is the Force Org. If you could have an army of devastators, well the enemy would never be able to leave home. Alpha strike would be king and turn one roll the only important roll in the game. But if every HS slot is viable I need to make a choice. And it may also be a trade off between more troops and more firepower. As it should be. And I could have vanguard vets for a similar price... decisions decisions.

If every unit is deadly in it's assigned role and not grossly over or undercosted (on both sides of the board) we have achieved balance (external and internal).

Matthew David Townend
06-12-2013, 07:30 PM
I think you have missed a couple of options that it could also do:

Linebreaker - 15/25, quicker than walking and certainly very durable.
Psychological - 25/25, how often have we seen games where this is the sole focus of fire during turn 1 & 2
Blocking - 20/25, one of the largest silouttes in the game

Which puts it at 205 which is better than perhaps the 165, I think the 10 TH/SS is a better example of it's short comings here (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?33098-A-New-Approach-to-Unit-Balance-and-Costing-an-Open-Letter-to-GW&p=315626&viewfull=1#post315626)

To balance the Land Raider after I mentioned it in the devastator post...

LAND RAIDER (Godhammer)

1st Transport - 100 (hell yeah)
2nd Shoot - 50 (with PotMSS - good)
3rd Blocking - 20 (it is big)
4th Enhance - 25 (assault grenades for termies, assault ramp - very good)
surv - 0.8 - 160 (controversial given that it's armor 14 - but one has to consider the ease with which this can be one-shotted, and the fact that it needs to run at the enemy to achieve its true purpose which is as an assault transport, putting itself into melta range).

I can't quite agree with Linebreaker status (it needs to be seriously durable for this - like a Riptide - or sneaky like Stealth suits), or bullet magnet (again, it's big but not so big and scary compared to the new 'titans' and it can be one-shotted easily enough at range).

A Landraider has a lot of utility, a lot of different roles, and these units tend to cause the most problems since it's so easy to overcost them. But discounting secondary roles and considering its true survivability brings us back to earth. I think 160 is reasonable. Again compare to the devastators with nine lascannons above. All these points might seem a little low against the current game but I'm rebalancing with a benchmark of 100 for an effective unit.

Matthew David Townend
06-12-2013, 07:35 PM
WTF? You realize that BS4 misses 1/3 of the time? If you do the math, a small blast at BS4 hits directly 1/3 of the time, and of the other 2/3s it scatters 1" or less .44% of the time, so it's almost exactly as accurate at hitting the model you want as a normal BS4 shot. Except you can hit multiple models. And even if you scatter, you can still hit and kill stuff instead of completely missing like a normal shot. And if you're shooting at vehicles or large bases, you get much more accurate. And if you're shooting a large blast like the Whirlwind, you get even more accurate still. And if you're using a Barrage weapon, you have good odds of controlling where the wounds are allocated from. And you can still benefit from reroll to hit just like any other weapon.

So how are blasts less accurate than normal shooting?

Fair enough. Maybe that's just my poor experience of whirlwinds. Remember they are likely to be fired indirectly to keep them out of LOS?

Blasts do have benefits no doubt, especially in 6th with the unfortunate barrage sniping. So how many models will one normally fit under a large blast template if the opponent has spread things out reasonably? 6? 7?

So perhaps the whirlwind should get its full shooting score of 100. Still I would stand by its adjusted price if it only had 4 missiles for the game...

Matthew David Townend
06-12-2013, 07:45 PM
I think you think only of usefulness transferring to table top effect. GW look at usefulness in a whole different way, because a unit that is cack on the tabletop may be very useful in creating a fluffy army or a cinematic game (think Warp Talons for a Night Lords Army, or Sentinel Power lifters in some scenario based thingy).

This tells me that you are Mr competitive and have ruled out the wider aspects that GW sees are key to the game (TMIR), thus you will miss out on understanding how they view balance.

Actually I am more of a fluff bunny believe it or not! But if fluff was all then every unit could be 100 points and balance be damned. For me, correctly balancing armies IS part of the enjoying the fluff. I want to see if three squads of devastators could gun down a yowling demon horde racing towards them or not. The points system becomes a tool with which to test out the hypotheses laid down in the fluff.

For me, fluff comes first. You tell me this unit can do X. Ok - now show me this in the rules. Never in the fluff is a unit totally ineffective at what it's supposed to do (though that would be funny if they were). Never do the bolter bearing devastators sit around moaning they have nothing to shoot at because they are out of range and have no HW. Never do predator commanders note that after a full fusillade of HB and AC they have only killed one enemy marine (an entirely possible outcome for dakka predators).

The fluff is innately balanced - no one army is an auto win. Let the rules reflect this.

Wolfshade
06-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Surviability

The suriviability is a nightmare to calculate, I was considering how this would be done and I was coming down on the surival against the average weapon, but with the weird effects it can be quite hard to do.

The other way would be to scour the net for loads of netlists and created a weighted average profile.

Perhaps there needs to be a dual score, survabilty vs shooting and vs melee.

Whirlwinds

I think they are a little pricey and I do tend to only include them when I cannot afford 2 vinidcators...
The old rules, 2nd ed, did have a missile count, but what would tend to happen would be the whirlwind would fire all at turn 1 then driver around blocking LOS so I am not sure that this would be best.
I think DL misses the issue that if the WW is out of LOS then it fires indirectly.
You are most likely (even if in LOS) to scatter away from your target by 3", with a large blast this doesn't mean that you would always hit your target but I would wager that most shots would be directed at the centre of a blob.

Devastators

I am not sure I agree with this one, at only 90pts 3 10 men squads would be 270 points and pushing out 729 shots of S5 36" goodness, which is a little crazy in my opinon, but may fit ok with the universal points reduction.
Lets not forget there was a time when paying 30pts per tactical marine was the norm and the halving of the price was seen as crazy.

Landraider

I think the 4HP and AV14 all round makes it one of the most durable tanks, but my illustraion was that it had more roles than just the ones the other poster posited.

Matthew David Townend
06-13-2013, 03:06 AM
Yes youre right about the whirlwind. Does become a bit useless. Even skyrays have markerlights. It possibly needs another function too, or a reloading mechanicism. A support vehicle?

Is that 729 a typo? 81 shots a turn right? 53 hits, 35 odd wounds vs t4. So no cover it could annihilate an ork boyz pack. Sounds ok to me... More important is the opportunity cost of three HS slots...

Wolfshade
06-13-2013, 03:18 AM
Oops, one to many powers of nine :$ not too bad then.

Matthew David Townend
06-13-2013, 05:19 AM
Oops, one to many powers of nine :$ not too bad then.

Ha no problem! 729 shots FTW! Should wipe the board clear nicely turn 1. For a moment though I thought you had calculated 7 turns worth...

SeekingOne
06-13-2013, 06:10 AM
@ Matthew David Townend

The overall approach to point costs that you suggested is great IMO. In fact, it's one of the best design concepts I ever saw, and I did see quite a few. In particular, I think that the simple and elegant way of calculating the efficiency scores first and then modifying them by the survivability ratio that you suggested is absolutely brilliant.

Also, I'd like to specifically highlight the following statement:

As long as every unit is functional in its fluff/tactical role and isn't overcosted for survivability - I doubt we would quibble.
This. I think this statement really sums up the alpha and omega of a proper unit design. Really, these indeed are the only two criteria that matter:
1) The unit should be reasonably effective at its intended role, AND
2) it should have a decent balance of durability vs point cost.

Having said that, I have to mention that in practice viability of such system would heavily depend on the proper estimations of basic capabilities of units. In this context I really like the way how you emphasised the use of intuition rather than mathhammer - I 100% agree that this is the way to go. However, this is precisely the thing that might undermine the whole approach, making it impossible to implement in practice. You see, in order to work properly such 'intellectual intuition' should be based on solid and broad experience of practical gaming, and probably that of several people. In other words, a team of, say, 3-5 experienced players could sit down and brainstorm the point costs for a new codex in a time frame of a few working days, a week at most. BUT those should be experienced players, with good knowledge of fluff and both friendly/casual gaming field (in stores and such) and tournament meta-game. And, honestly, this resource is what I really doubt GW design studio has at its disposal. I kind of suspect that the GW designers don't really get to play many games at all, and probably none of those is played in competitive environment (i.e. the environment that really highlights the balance issues). Thus, I sort of doubt that this system would really yield some good practical results even if GW were to actually adopt it.

The system itself is still great though, if only in the hands of experienced players :D

And one small suggestion to you, if I may: I think it would be much better to put the benchmark at 150 points for a unit rather than 100. This way the re-estimated point costs would be much closer to what we have now, and won't scare people off too much :)

Also, regarding the number of models in the estimated units - I really feel it would be much more practical to make a base estimation of all units at either minimum or maximum unit size. No in-between sizes and no comparing of 10 tac marines to 5 termies, for example - it just makes things too vague. Considering my previous suggestion, benchmark of 150 points looks ideal for a full-sized unit.

Matthew David Townend
06-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Seeking One you read my thoughts on the 150 benchmark. I had noticed that the 100 benchmark was producing lower points costs that what we are used to. It's just so damn convenient. Could go 150 for primary, 75 secondary then er... 40 for tertiary and 20 for 4th and 5th roles (I suppose could half down again to 10). But it's trickier to manage. 150 does seem to be an average points cost in 40K. I often mentally write lists just by saying I can probably take about 12 units in a 2000 points list - it usually works out well when I've costed it up.

I think playtesting basically just needs to examine what roles units can actually play on the battlefield. This does require some creativity and I don't think we've covered all possible roles yet. This is something the best community reviewers are good at, looking at and/or playtesting a unit and looking beyond its stated/ fluff use at what you can REALLY do with it on the table. Of course, there are limits. Should we cost Rhinos for their usefulness as LOS corridor providers for 'rhino sniping'? Perhaps not, but we can cost them a bit for blocking, since they really are useful as metal boxes that affect enemy movement. Someone will always find a use for the unit that the designer didn't think of, but hopefully it will be situational enough to not matter much to the usefulness (and thereby balance) of the unit.

A change in edition obviously screws these roles up as universal rules come and go. A change in meta less so, since a new army or unit should not totally invalidate the unit's original roles. A bit of planning ahead is necessary of course. A heldrake is a game-changing terror in a low AA environment so could easily cost 300+ points (3 heldrakes = death to most armies), but looking ahead the designers should know every army will have decent AA (like the Nephilim, or how it should have been - those missiles really should have been S7 and heat-seeking ie. always hit on the back armor) and so the heldrake gets a discount.

Once you know a unit's true role complement, and more or less how good they are in those roles (this doesn't need to be so so precise, but it is handy to measure it against units with similar roles), you have the true value of a unit - divide by durability. Arguably, this is a system that can be applied universally across all wargaming - only exact point allocation will differ. Whether my halfing and halfing again for secondary and tertiary roles is right (why not 75% or 33%?) is open to debate. It's just a mechanism to prevent price inflation.

Without wishing to call GW's current balance childish, I recall when I was a kid and creating my own EPIC units (I've been doing this...a while) I also used to simply add X points for this stat to Y points for that rule (consistent across units) and probably produced some monstrous points scores for units (eg. hellfire dreadnoughts) that wouldn't really do that much or last that long.

Usefulness
_________ = points cost = internal and external balance

Durability

I tell you it's the snizzle. Internal balance of course also requires that the unit does something another unit in the army can't (at least not in the same way).

I don't see the divide between fluff bunnies and competitive players is necessary. The fluff is balanced, all armies have their day, and every unit has its role in the history and stories - achieve balance in the rules and we will see fluffy diversified armies from competitive players. It's really not fair to blame competitive players for spamming out the same old units when to not do so would give them a serious disadvantage against someone who did. That is entirely the fault of poor internal (in particular) and external balance. The heldrake is not an option for chaos - it is necessary.

Poor balance, however, is not necessary.

Matthew David Townend
06-13-2013, 10:13 PM
@ Matthew David Townend
Also, regarding the number of models in the estimated units - I really feel it would be much more practical to make a base estimation of all units at either minimum or maximum unit size. No in-between sizes and no comparing of 10 tac marines to 5 termies, for example - it just makes things too vague. Considering my previous suggestion, benchmark of 150 points looks ideal for a full-sized unit.

I did wonder about this too. Can we compare 10 cultists to 10 TH/SS termies directly? Perhaps. However, we would then need to severely reduce the primary role score for the cultists. I'd prefer to keep that score at 100 (or 150) for every unit - basically because it forces the designers to make a unit that is effective at something - and units like cultists are only effective in large sizes. But let's try...

CULTISTS - 10
Melee - 20/100 - 3 attacks on the charge, S3..
Shoot - 10/100 - yeah, a bit
Surv - 0.1 - poo
3 points a man - it's probably ok. Strangely though I found this much harder to quantify - how good is their melee output? A 20 or a 10?

TERMINATORS SS/TH - 10
Melee - 200 - 30 S8 attacks on the charge - but where...200, 150, 300? hard to quantify
Psychological - 50 - it's a deathstar and can deepstrike - opponent will be affected
Block - 25 - large footprint on the board, not exactly a tarpit as you probably want to avoid being tarpitted, but it can serve as a kind of bubblewrap
surv - 1.0 - yeah, and could be higher
so call it 300 points, 30 a man. Not too bad. I feel TH/SS is currently overcosted for what it can really do on the field. Normal termies are quite appalling...

TERMINATORS - storm bolter/ pf - 10
Shoot - 90 - er - 20 S4 shots - it's okish I guess
Melee - 50 - strong, even if I1
Block - 25 - ibid
surv - 9.0
150 - 15 points a termie!!!! It was 9 points a tac. But really, their damage output is low! What else can they do? Sure stick some heavy weapons on them to increase the output (and cost), but stormbolters are severly limited. They just don't do their primary well enough to justify their high survivability score. Arguably, their primary should be melee or even block! I could have thrown in psychological in there I suppose - but is it really a deathstar?

So, yes it still works. But I found it harder because I lose the yardstick of 'what is enough to get the job done' (which is still subjective admittedly) and have to more carefully consider the damage output scores. When it comes to MCs or HQ units we will have to consider it man by man anyway, so although it's useful to consider units of the same size, it will inevitably not be possible.

I do like that the system forces us to make effective units to qualify for the 100 benchmark. 5 heavy infantry = 10 medium infantry = 20 light infantry might seem a bit arbitrary, and classing these could be tricky anyway, but its a starting point that should then be balanced out by the survival score. These categories may also help with design - arguably banshees fail because they sort of fit in light infantry but they really should be medium (I guess they do have a 4+ save now). It would take around 53 S4 BS4 shots to murder 10 cultists, about 160 to murder 10 termies TH/SS - so to this kind of firepower the termies are about 3 times as survivable. And yet I've given them a surv score and price factor of ten times the cultists. Of course we are considering leadership and the fact the the termies can survive deadlier forms of firepower the cultists cannot. A S6 blast could annihilate the cultists but cause only 1 dead termie - there's our factor of 10. But I digress...

Banshees. True glass cannons cause problems - and are probably bad design ultimately. What this system teaches us is that every unit needs to be able to survive to do its job - but there are many ways to get this score higher - numbers of men, armor, inv saves, delivery systems (costed on troops or their transports), stealth, infiltrate etc etc. One can create the illusion of a glass cannon for fluff purposes (eldar) without actually making the units overly soft.