PDA

View Full Version : How do older codexes handle flyers?

Whoop!
06-06-2013, 06:42 AM
Hi All,

I like to play my Space Wolves, but the flyers are killing me! Those damned flying demons can get right into hand to hand without being touched by my longfangs! and don't even get me started about the hell drakes. Has anybody figured out how to deal with these obstacles with armies with no skyfire capability? I really don't want to mothball my wolves even though my WarClowns(necrons) are crushing right now.

eldargal
06-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Quadguns.

Wolfshade
06-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Aegis defence line with quad gun.

This is the default response.

The flyers supplement may provide space wolves with options in terms of flyers storm raven / storm talon but you would need to check to see if they are included for SWs.

DrLove42
06-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Yep.

FLying MC's just shoot everything at them. Even if it can't wound them. A single hit causes a grounding test.

Flying vehicles....yeah. Quadguns. Ally with guard for Vendettas...

Tyrendian
06-06-2013, 07:51 AM
or go FW and get a Storm Eagle... 2 TL Lascannon and a TL Multimelta/ Typhoon Missile Launcher murder most any flyer... plus it's a brilliant transport, and a gorgeous model imo

Sly
06-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Allies are the best option.
Quad Gun is a given, but it's not enough by itself.
Twin-linked weapons such as Rifleman Dreads do better against Flyers than single-roll weapons such as Missile Launchers.
Try to have a Terminator Rune Priest AND a Terminator with a CML in each Long Fang squad, as much as you can... the Terminator armor will tank some of the hits from Heldrakes, and having Divination so that you can twin-link 7 Missile Launcher shots in each squad (and have some of them split fire) gives you more access to twin-linked firepower.
Join a Terminator Wolf Guard to every Grey Hunters squad so that you can try to put him where he will absorb some of the Heldrake hits.
Mech up. Heldrakes aren't as effective against armies in Rhinos as against foot armies.

Whoop!
06-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Try to have a Terminator Rune Priest AND a Terminator with a CML in each Long Fang squad, as much as you can... the Terminator armor will tank some of the hits from Heldrakes, and having Divination so that you can twin-link 7 Missile Launcher shots in each squad (and have some of them split fire) gives you more access to twin-linked firepower.

This is a strategy that I am currently using. it works ok, I just hate to waste so much firepower! That's 300 pts per unit firing at some stupid flyer or flying MC, and not doing much half the time. Unfortunately they get to dictate my target priority with their list building.

Thanks for the advice guys!

40kGamer
06-06-2013, 09:54 AM
or go FW and get a Storm Eagle... 2 TL Lascannon and a TL Multimelta/ Typhoon Missile Launcher murder most any flyer... plus it's a brilliant transport, and a gorgeous model imo

A beautiful model indeed! I've used a bit of everything to varying effect divination on Long Fangs, Quad gun and allied guard fliers. I am really tempted to get a storm eagle though... :-)

Anggul
06-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Also Hyperios Defence Launchers. Allied Imperial Guard are good too. No sense wasting good Space Marines flying aircraft when you have the Imperial Navy.

Ursus Maior
06-06-2013, 03:55 PM
The flyers supplement may provide space wolves with options in terms of flyers storm raven / storm talon but you would need to check to see if they are included for SWs.

No, the SW have ace pilots etc. in the book, but not even an icon to show next to flyers in the army list.

Demonus
06-07-2013, 09:55 AM
I think there is a neat FW Dreadnought that lets you intercept with its Assault Cannons if it stays stationary isnt it? Mortis or something like that.

G00dySmiley
06-07-2013, 03:35 PM
yea other than aegis... pretty much allies. a good ally for anti air is regular vanilla marinez, stormtalon in fast attack, storm raven in heavy support , add a small scout squad and cheap hq to taste. when I ally my eldar with marines I use master of the forge with convertion beamer, scouts, 2 dreds and a storm taln

Fueldrop
06-07-2013, 08:19 PM
I may be missing something, but aren't Flakk missiles available to anyone with missile launchers? If not, this should be in the next round of FAQs for the older codexes.

Chexmix282
06-08-2013, 08:49 AM
I may be missing something, but aren't Flakk missiles available to anyone with missile launchers? If not, this should be in the next round of FAQs for the older codexes.

Nope, only armies with Flakk Missiles listed as an option to purchase in their unit entry may take them. Chaos Havoks, DA Devastators, and Eldar War Walkers are an example. They usually cost an additional 10 points over the cost of a missile launcher.

My Space Wolves were having this same problem for the longest time. Then I allied in a small IG force with a squadron of 2 Vendettas. I no longer have trouble with flyers, excepting CronAir lists.

Whoop!
06-10-2013, 05:41 AM
I haven't run into Flakk missiles yet, what do they do?

G00dySmiley
06-10-2013, 06:56 AM
I haven't run into Flakk missiles yet, what do they do?

missile launcher with skyfire. i think the best option for it though pricey is dark reapers exarch with fast shot, 2 missiless hitting flyers on 2's and no jink saves allowed against reapers. the other dark reapers also shoot less intimidating 2 shots each str 5, but i take 5+ exarch so 10 shots1.6 hits, 5's or better for av10 ... 0.53 for another glance on av10, 1/4 chance on 11

Themaninthegreenhat
06-18-2013, 06:10 AM
That is a viable solution though, as someone in the same situation that struggles against a flying croissant eater, might i offer an alternative solution? If we're going FW, then why not the whole nine yards and get a hydra flak tank, or save some money and a defense wall, the quad cannon is a god send.

Allied Imps are my way of going though, saving up for a vendetta to fix this very problem.

rle68
06-21-2013, 11:30 AM
squadron of 3 war walkers with 2 scatter lasers and use guide on them youll bring down a flyer every turn...even if you do scatter shuriken youll get the same result of at least 1 down