PDA

View Full Version : Black Library Using Android

Fizzybubela
06-05-2013, 10:22 AM
I found this and thought people would be interested:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/digital-editions-preview.html

Wildeybeast
06-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Ooh, a double whammy of Android and Index Astartes making a return. That's one less thing for the GW haters to moan about then.

Fizzybubela
06-05-2013, 10:46 AM
I think it's a new version of Index Astartes as it is mentioned when it says "three new series".

Wildeybeast
06-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Could be, or revamp of the old one. Time will tell

Edit: It does say 'from the archives' in the blurb, so mostly likely the old one

Defenestratus
06-05-2013, 11:06 AM
You've always been able to view BL ebooks on android. You download the .mobi file from their website, save it to your Google Drive, and open it in the kindle app - its auto-synch basically.

Easy-Peasy.

The problem is the GW iCodices which do not have a "file format" other than iBooks.

There is actually interesting data not-yet-out there that suggests that GW isn't serving the majority of their customers by releasing iOS only.

Asymmetrical Xeno
06-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Well, this is good news :) I would definitly buy the index astartes thing if I can get it to work on my PC using something like adobe.

Defenestratus
06-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Well, this is good news :) I would definitly buy the index astartes thing if I can get it to work on my PC using something like adobe.

All digital BL works provide you with either a .mobi or .epub file. The .epub file is able to be viewed by several e-readers available on several platforms.

Asymmetrical Xeno
06-05-2013, 12:48 PM
All digital BL works provide you with either a .mobi or .epub file. The .epub file is able to be viewed by several e-readers available on several platforms.

Oh, awesome. Are any of those epub readers free?

Wildeybeast
06-05-2013, 12:53 PM
You've always been able to view BL ebooks on android. You download the .mobi file from their website, save it to your Google Drive, and open it in the kindle app - its auto-synch basically.

Easy-Peasy.

The problem is the GW iCodices which do not have a "file format" other than iBooks.

There is actually interesting data not-yet-out there that suggests that GW isn't serving the majority of their customers by releasing iOS only.

I think the difference is that they are specifically releasing on Android and Kindle now, rather than just iOS. If it is a success, I would expect rulebooks to become available on other formats before too long. Android and Kindle would give them a wider customer base so it makes sense, providing they reckon sales will cover the extra programming and support costs.

RGilbert26
06-05-2013, 03:52 PM
If the Index Astartes is just the old version gone digital, id rather just read books I own, all 4 of them (apparently one of them is really rare).

mysterex
06-06-2013, 03:00 AM

Yup, I use Aldiko which is available free from Google Play and it works fine. I had been using Kobo for a while (also free) but started having problems with it.

Fairly convenient having books on my cell phone as I commute by train and always have something to read.

Wolfshade
06-06-2013, 03:06 AM

I use EBookDroid on my mobe, (it is running Ice Cream Sandwich ). It is fine, I've had no problems with it.

Though to be fair i tend to use my kindle for digital readings.

Ayaxs
06-06-2013, 08:55 AM

I use Moon Reader on Google Play.

eldargal
06-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Proper digital codices and army books without having to buy an iAnything will be nice, but I'm much more excite about being able to get the extras like missions and paint articles and whatnot. But mostly I'm excited about Index Xenos and the Munitorum series' of thingies. Some detailed articles on xenos weapons will be great fun. I still have fond memories of a story in a very early WD where Inquisitor Kryptmann is examining a tyranid bioweapon and all hell breaks loose.

Neelam
06-07-2013, 02:37 AM
If they include the 'pop-out' sections and the hotlinks in the Android version like they have with the iOS version then I'd happily pay for these, but if they're essentially just tidy/official looking PDF's then colour me uninterested.

The whole being able tap the bold special rule (in a unit entry) and an explanation thing pops out or tap a unit and you get a 360 image of the model pop out really appealed to me (Just not enough to resort to buying an apple product).

AirHorse
06-07-2013, 08:09 AM
I think it's a new version of Index Astartes as it is mentioned when it says "three new series".

I think Index Astartes is the old version returning once more, it says this on the page:

"Over the coming months, you’ll be able to collect a wide variety of different digital publications; some from the forgotten archives of the past, and some venturing anew into the depths of the Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 universes."

legalsmash
06-07-2013, 01:05 PM
I found this and thought people would be interested:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/digital-editions-preview.html

This makes me happy. I have been reading the majority of my BL stuff via my phone (android) and am a PC user. I've been miffed by the sole support of Ipad, as I'd love digital codex, but do not want to pay for Apple or use Apple gear.

Hopefully this is the start of something good.

mysterex
06-08-2013, 02:40 AM
I downloaded the preview and tried reading it using Alkido on my Sony which runs Android 4.0.4. The text was fine but I could only see the top left corner of the images. I've never had this problem before so it doesn't bode well for reading their releases off a cell phone.