PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Battle Brothers - Best Combos

Vallen
06-02-2013, 09:23 AM
A few weeks ago I emerged from the hibernation that the abysmal Dark Angels codex put me into and I picked up the Tau dex in preparation for the Eldar release. After reading both dexs I started to think about where these two armies could best work together (something I'm sure many people are doing right now too :)

I thought I would share some of my ideas with the community and see what other people have thought up with how to combine Tau or Dark Eldar with the new Eldar.

The first and probably most obvious combo I see is using the Tau Commander that twin-links the unit and allows the unit to ignore cover and have him join a unit of Dark Reapers (One of the few wargear items in the Tau book that does not specify that the unit be from codex:tau)...These guys were nasty in 3rd ed and I think this combo will make them a very ugly unit to face off against again. I can't wait to test this :)

What other combos do you guys see out there?

Firecrest
06-02-2013, 07:31 PM
I played in a double tournies on saturday and a team were using DE and Eldar combo. Jain zar and Lelith in a squad, charged tyhpus and some tooled up nurgle termies. Jain zar did her -5 trick, lillith picked up a wad of extra attacks because of it, dead typhus + termie squad was the result.

Vallen
06-02-2013, 08:21 PM
I played in a double tournies on saturday and a team were using DE and Eldar combo. Jain zar and Lelith in a squad, charged tyhpus and some tooled up nurgle termies. Jain zar did her -5 trick, lillith picked up a wad of extra attacks because of it, dead typhus + termie squad was the result.

Lol Love it :) what unit were they paired with?

DarkLink
06-02-2013, 09:54 PM
The first and probably most obvious combo I see is using the Tau Commander that twin-links the unit and allows the unit to ignore cover and have him join a unit of Dark Reapers (One of the few wargear items in the Tau book that does not specify that the unit be from codex:tau)...These guys were nasty in 3rd ed and I think this combo will make them a very ugly unit to face off against again. I can't wait to test this :)

Plus he can tank wounds, since Dark Reapers are pretty fragile.

Take a bunch of Kroot, and some anti-air stuff, and everyone will hate you. And you'll deserve it.

Vallen
06-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Plus he can tank wounds, since Dark Reapers are pretty fragile.

Take a bunch of Kroot, and some anti-air stuff, and everyone will hate you. And you'll deserve it.

If he is tanking then use a spirit seer and hope for the renewal power so you can heal him :)

Everything works great until a helldrake shows up...hmmm should put them on a skysheild just in case :P

"The hate is growing in you now" - Emperor Palpatine :P

DarkLink
06-02-2013, 11:53 PM
And for Conceal, behind an Aegis line. And just kick anyone who plays the Heldrake and/or Tau in the ****. Which would be ironic, because you're also playing Tau.

Firecrest
06-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Lol Love it :) what unit were they paired with?

Wyches, though they could of been bloodbrides, I didn't ask.

Finnegan
06-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Until now I often played with Eldar Corsairs as allies (IA 11). After Craftworld Eldar price reduction and BS boost corsair units aren't so tempting as they were before, but they still have some interesting options.

For example Corsair Prince gives Deep Strike ability to up to three units in his army and corsairs may take Elite or FA units from eldar codex as their Elite choice. I've already tried deepstriking Fire Dragons (trick with dissapearing Landrider "now you see it - WOOSH! - now you don't" was much easier to perform :) ) but now I'm considering an idea of deepstriking unit of Wraithguards or Wraithblades...:cool:

After revamping Swooping Hawks, Warp Spiders and Shining Spears, the eldar FA slots are suprisingly good, so putting squadron of Hornets as Corsair FA choice leaves some space there (as well as taking Warp Hunter or Void Dragon as HS, instead of taking it from primary detachment list).

GodimusPryme
06-04-2013, 07:14 AM
I saw some talk over on thedarkcity about taking eldar With DE, and there was mention of grotesques and warriors, but I guess the question at this early point in the game is what does DE or Tau have in their mandatory slots (troop and HQ) that would do the job better than eldar's equivalent? I don't know DE at all so can't really suppose there, but with Tau I think Fire wariors would be good in place of say guardians in the back field as they outrange them by a bit... And a couple broadsides or stealth suits w/fusion blasters and skyfire would deal with flyers fairly well...

So what DE units would work well? incubi, warriors with a cannon or two?

cebalrai
06-04-2013, 07:19 AM
Until now I often played with Eldar Corsairs as allies (IA 11). After Craftworld Eldar price reduction and BS boost corsair units aren't so tempting as they were before, but they still have some interesting options.

For example Corsair Prince gives Deep Strike ability to up to three units in his army and corsairs may take Elite or FA units from eldar codex as their Elite choice. I've already tried deepstriking Fire Dragons (trick with dissapearing Landrider "now you see it - WOOSH! - now you don't" was much easier to perform :) ) but now I'm considering an idea of deepstriking unit of Wraithguards or Wraithblades...:cool:

After revamping Swooping Hawks, Warp Spiders and Shining Spears, the eldar FA slots are suprisingly good, so putting squadron of Hornets as Corsair FA choice leaves some space there (as well as taking Warp Hunter or Void Dragon as HS, instead of taking it from primary detachment list).

Corsairs are in need of a huge update now.

HERO
06-04-2013, 08:30 PM
The one thing I'm carefully eyeing is the Warp Hunter errata.

If the price lines up and the weapon profile is changed to large blast S10 AP2, we're in a very good place.

G00dySmiley
06-07-2013, 11:09 AM
I know htey are desprate allies, but i found orks allying well with eldar, warboss on bike w/ pk , makes a nob bike squad troops, gives you a fast assualt oriented easy to use squad that becomes a fire magnet. take 10 gretchin and a runt herd for a 40 point troop choice and some other cheap units is points allow (orks do cheap like nobody else... 35 points gets a rokkit buggy, tl rokkit launcher av10, t hull pooiints and who cares if it blow up it means they are not shooting at something else, 20 points buys a single kannon with 2 grot crew. toughness 7 with a 3+ armor . or a kff big mek, a few meganobz in a battlewagon w/ a dakka jet , cheap flier and reliable transportation for a big close combat threa which again eldar have a hard time fielding

Dave Mcturk
06-18-2013, 07:50 AM
the baron is an excellent ally HQ for my pointy ears, he brings litmus grenades, hit and run, stealth, penumbra saves and decent cc statline, for a measly 105 pts and 45 pts for his minimum support unit , an extra 'character' at any sub 2k points game ... i mostly play 1750 / 1850...

Sonikgav
06-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Waiting to see 3 Riptides + 1 Wraithknight.

Ive got a decent little Eldar Ally block thats just a Knight, a Spiritseer and a Unit of Wraithscythes in a Serpent. About 700 ish points but adds a great objective holder/clearer, a Transport with the Firepower if an MBT and a Jump Monstrous Creature. Kit the Knight for combat though, the Riptides can handle the Shooting and Blacksun filters means its Shield doesnt bother most of the Tau army.

Still plenty of points for SniperKroot and 3 Ion Riptides.

DarkLink
06-18-2013, 12:02 PM
The one thing I'm carefully eyeing is the Warp Hunter errata.

If the price lines up and the weapon profile is changed to large blast S10 AP2, we're in a very good place.

Hornets, too. They both overshadow Fire Prisms and Vypers, respectively. Too bad Phil Kelly didn't pay attention to either unit and at least improve Vypers a little more.

rle68
06-18-2013, 06:27 PM
I saw some talk over on thedarkcity about taking eldar With DE, and there was mention of grotesques and warriors, but I guess the question at this early point in the game is what does DE or Tau have in their mandatory slots (troop and HQ) that would do the job better than eldar's equivalent? I don't know DE at all so can't really suppose there, but with Tau I think Fire wariors would be good in place of say guardians in the back field as they outrange them by a bit... And a couple broadsides or stealth suits w/fusion blasters and skyfire would deal with flyers fairly well...

So what DE units would work well? incubi, warriors with a cannon or two?

de troops unit that does a better job? not sure youd say better but hellions are pretty good when paired with the baron who is no slouch on his own...and reaver jet bikes are wickedly awesome

Finnegan
06-20-2013, 03:32 AM
Too bad Phil Kelly didn't pay attention to either unit and at least improve Vypers a little more.
Yup. The Vypers are better now, but there is no point in taking them if you have access to FW stuff... If they had an option to take flakk missiles, they would be awesome :)

Sonikgav
06-20-2013, 05:44 AM
Commander Shadowsun leading Warp Spiders! Rediculously good to give those Spiders Stealth/Shrouded and what speed she loses them from Warp Jump and Battle Focus she almost gives back with her Warlord Trait

Throw in a command Drone for rerolling 1's and I think its pretty tasty.

DarkLink
06-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Yup. The Vypers are better now, but there is no point in taking them if you have access to FW stuff... If they had an option to take flakk missiles, they would be awesome :)

Also, War Walkers are pretty much better. You get more firepower for the same price, and Invulnerable save instead of a Cover save, and with Battle Focus you can jump in and out of cover, all for pretty much the same price.

rle68
06-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Also, War Walkers are pretty much better. You get more firepower for the same price, and Invulnerable save instead of a Cover save, and with Battle Focus you can jump in and out of cover, all for pretty much the same price.

battle focus for war walkers is what makes them a better take than vypers although the movement can be a big benefit