PDA

View Full Version : Eldar Hemlock Wraithfighter - Terrify ?

Mystery.Shadow
06-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Eldar Hemlock Wraithfighter: It has Terrify built-in. Bypasses Fearless! And successful tests need to be rerolled! This dang thing is dangerous!

Here's the problem. What about Synapse? Does this protect a Tyranid from it's effect? And if not, what if a Tyranid enters Synapse Range of another Synapse Creature?

Learn2Eel
06-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Synapse confers the Fearless special rule on to the unit. Terrify specifies that the unit "gets no benefit" from Fearless, so it wouldn't matter if the creature moved in and out of Synapse range.

Nabterayl
06-02-2013, 08:34 AM
I don't have a copy of the codex handy, but if it bypasses Fearless, it seems like there's your answer. Synapse simply says that the affected creature "is not subject to the Instinctive Behaviour rule ... and gains the Fearless rule as detailed in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook."

Vallen
06-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Be careful with the range of the abilities. Terrify I think is 24" where the reroll pod is only 12"...Also the reroll pod does not specify enemies so your own units will be affected.

Tynskel
06-02-2013, 08:47 AM
I don't have a copy of the codex handy, but if it bypasses Fearless, it seems like there's your answer. Synapse simply says that the affected creature "is not subject to the Instinctive Behaviour rule ... and gains the Fearless rule as detailed in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook."
Isnt terrify a main rulebook power?

Nabterayl
06-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Not as far as I can tell. Not under T in special rules, or under Fear.

Tynskel
06-02-2013, 09:00 AM

I thought it was a telepathy power.

Yeah, it is: #4

Vallen
06-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Terrify is in the Telepathy list of psychic powers

Tynskel
06-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Terrify is in the Telepathy list of psychic powers

I like that: GW's way of saying, hey you dolts! Use telepathy! There are good powers in there!

Combine with horrify= Sanguinary Guard running away!

Tyrendian
06-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Combine with horrify= Sanguinary Guard running away!

or even a Swarmlord or C'Tan... sillyness... :D

Tynskel
06-03-2013, 05:00 AM
or even a Swarmlord or C'Tan... sillyness... :D

A little bit more difficult to pull off a morale check. You would need a power that forces leadership checks.

Xenith
06-04-2013, 11:13 AM
A little bit more difficult to pull off a morale check. You would need a power that forces leadership checks.

Terrify removes the bonus from fearless, and immediately forces a morale check.

Apollinarius
06-04-2013, 11:20 AM
All MC's have built in Fear. You could literally have your Avatar chase their C'Tan off the board.

He could even get killed by a sweeping advance. That I10 will do wonders for sweeping advances.

Archon Charybdis
06-05-2013, 09:04 AM
All MC's have built in Fear. You could literally have your Avatar chase their C'Tan off the board.

He could even get killed by a sweeping advance. That I10 will do wonders for sweeping advances.

Fear would only make the C'tan WS1, but if the Avatar beats him in combat he could certainly kill him in a Sweeping Advance.

Apollinarius
06-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Fear would only make the C'tan WS1, but if the Avatar beats him in combat he could certainly kill him in a Sweeping Advance.

Fear would make it so much easier to win the combat. The reroll of a passed morale check would help ensure fear sticks.

The Hemlock seems like a great unit that would be incredibly fun to use, but its range is so short. With AV10 all around, it can literally be blown out of the sky by falling back infantry it scared away. If that's not irony, I don't know what is.

Just AV11 on one side is all it would have needed to be usable.

Nabterayl
06-05-2013, 10:37 AM
It can be, sure, but even though AV10 is technically vulnerable to S4 weapons, there's still only a 1/36 chance per shot of losing a hull point to an S4 weapon. I don't think the AV10 makes it unusable.

Demonus
06-05-2013, 12:09 PM
I really want to like this flier, but think it will not see much usefulness. It has 2 blast weapons, so it does nothing against fliers, and it is av 10, needing to jink to live, which means I cant fire those blast weapons. The terrify seems situation at best, with anyong getting DtWitch. Anyone think of a good use for it or should I just make the Hunter?

Anggul
06-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I really want to like this flier, but think it will not see much usefulness. It has 2 blast weapons, so it does nothing against fliers, and it is av 10, needing to jink to live, which means I cant fire those blast weapons. The terrify seems situation at best, with anyong getting DtWitch. Anyone think of a good use for it or should I just make the Hunter?

It works well with the various sources of Pinning and it's likely to make a defeated enemy unit flee. Pretty much what you would expect really.

They really could have done with the equivalent of DE Flickerfields though, AV10 with no natural saves is more often than not going to be shot down by a Quad-Gun or any Skyfire unit.

Asuryan
06-05-2013, 02:05 PM

This is exactly my thought process, I was originally going to make the hemlock but because of jink and having only blast's and only a 12 in range on the pod I just made the hunter instead.

Tynskel
06-05-2013, 02:43 PM
stripping fearless is nothing to sniffle at. The jet is exactly what is sounds like: a ground support unit.

Demonus
06-05-2013, 09:48 PM
so....185pts to strip fearless, IF you aren't shot down on sight, and IF you pass your LD test, and IF they don't Deny the Witch (on a 4+ if they have a ML2+ psyker) all with an 18inch range? like I said, seems awesome in theory, but I don't see it working well in practice. Guess we shall see as people start using them.

Tynskel
06-06-2013, 08:00 AM
so....185pts to strip fearless, IF you aren't shot down on sight, and IF you pass your LD test, and IF they don't Deny the Witch (on a 4+ if they have a ML2+ psyker) all with an 18inch range? like I said, seems awesome in theory, but I don't see it working well in practice. Guess we shall see as people start using them.

this is totally dumb.
Just about EVERYTHING in 40k can be destroyed on sight.

so you could say that statement, and just replace 'X' special rules with 'Y' special rules.

DrLove42
06-06-2013, 08:05 AM
this is totally dumb.
Just about EVERYTHING in 40k can be destroyed on sight.

so you could say that statement, and just replace 'X' special rules with 'Y' special rules.

There is a slight difference. Fliers can reliably be killed before they do anything (quad guns) wheras anything else you can deploy/reserve move etc to give it a chance

Demonus
06-06-2013, 09:37 AM
yep sorry to disagree oh mighty Tynskel, but dumping 185pts down toilet sounds about as effective as the wraithfighter. Which is a shame, cause the fluff for the model is pretty cool.
at least with the hunter, you can shoot your guns after jinking.

Xenith
06-11-2013, 12:11 PM
There is a slight difference. Fliers can reliably be killed before they do anything (quad guns) wheras anything else you can deploy/reserve move etc to give it a chance

And you have nothing in your army that can possibly remove a quad gun in turn 1?

Synergy, synergy, synergy.

Power Klawz
06-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Its a bomber...

Most of the 6th edition bombers have esoteric rules and are geared towards causing massive chaos on the turn they arrive. It's basically a 185pt suicide unit that can have a huge game impact if used appropriately on the right target, sort of like the Dark Angels bomber... hey!

Halfpast_Yellow
06-14-2013, 08:24 PM
The main weapon of the fighter forcing rerolls of Leadership tests within 18", and it has that effect immediately.

Quad guns are not an argument, they die turn one to Serpents and Rangers all the time every time.

Eldar have a LOT of pinning weapons on popular units - Waveserpents, Starshot missiles, Rangers, Vauls support platforms and Nightspinners - These are in almost all lists in multiples. For example, if I play with a Falcon, Nightspinner, Vauls support, a couple of ranger squads, and two serpents, that's 7 sources of pinning. There are some more estoric ones as well - Spinneret Spider exarchs, Eldritch Storm, and Harlequin Death Jesters.

When you start forcing rerolls on leadership, it makes a huge difference.
Pinning on Leadership 10 jumps from 1/12 to 1/6 which is 'don't fail that 2+ save' territory.
Pinning on Leadership 9 goes from 1/9 to 1/3 which is 'don't fail the 3+ save'
Against Leadership 8, every pinning check is slightly more likely to pin than not!

Tynskel
06-15-2013, 09:44 PM
The main weapon of the fighter forcing rerolls of Leadership tests within 18", and it has that effect immediately.

Quad guns are not an argument, they die turn one to Serpents and Rangers all the time every time.

Eldar have a LOT of pinning weapons on popular units - Waveserpents, Starshot missiles, Rangers, Vauls support platforms and Nightspinners - These are in almost all lists in multiples. For example, if I play with a Falcon, Nightspinner, Vauls support, a couple of ranger squads, and two serpents, that's 7 sources of pinning. There are some more estoric ones as well - Spinneret Spider exarchs, Eldritch Storm, and Harlequin Death Jesters.

When you start forcing rerolls on leadership, it makes a huge difference.
Pinning on Leadership 10 jumps from 1/12 to 1/6 which is 'don't fail that 2+ save' territory.
Pinning on Leadership 9 goes from 1/9 to 1/3 which is 'don't fail the 3+ save'
Against Leadership 8, every pinning check is slightly more likely to pin than not!

I am glad this guy understands that there is a perfectly good place for the bomber.

davel
06-16-2013, 02:50 AM
How badly is the hemlocks ability affected if it opts to evade?

The d scyth may be affected, but the pod and terrify are not guns at all.

Dave l