PDA

View Full Version : Moving the tanks

Kall3m0n
11-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Is it possible to move your tank(s) in a circle with a diameter of, let's say 7" and let it end up in the exact same place it was before it moved? E.g. It moves from point A to point A in a circle.

Follow-up-question: If it is a legal move, do I really have to make the effort of actually meassuring every inch in a circle, or can i just let it stand still and say that it has moved X inches?

Old_Paladin
11-08-2009, 06:53 PM
It is legal, but totally pointless.
It would only handicap yourself (able to shoot less weapons) and gain no advantages. The rules state that you have to finish X inches from where they start in order to gain advantages such as cover saves from moving flatout or being difficult to hit in melee.

DarkLink
11-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Short answer is no.

Here's the way I think it has to be played: your move counts as the distance your vehicle was displaced. If your vehicle is in the same place as last turn, then you haven't actually moved.

The only exception to this is when you move around stuff, like terrain and other models. Then, rather than measuring in a straight line for the displacement, you measure from where the vehicle started, then around the obsticle, then to the vehicle's final position, using the shortest, straightest distance possible. This is then how far the vehicle moved.

Kall3m0n
11-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Ah, ok.
Too bad.

I was actually thinking of just that cover save and hard to hit in melee.

Thanx.

Culven
11-09-2009, 10:00 AM
I was actually thinking of just that cover save and hard to hit in melee.

The rules for those effects should specifically forbid claiming that the Vehicle moved far enough when it has insufficient displacement to actually meet the criterium.

Duke
11-09-2009, 03:57 PM
I think this question is the exact reason they were so specific in the rule book.

Duke

DarkLink
11-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I'll also point out that in order to move your vehicle in a circle with a diameter of 7", the vehicle will have to move slightly less than 44" total to get back to its original position:p.

Culven
11-09-2009, 08:17 PM
I'll also point out that in order to move your vehicle in a circle with a diameter of 7", the vehicle will have to move slightly less than 44" total to get back to its original position:p.
I figure 22 inches (πd), assuming the tank moves within the circle. How are you getting 44 inches?

DarkLink
11-09-2009, 10:53 PM
I figure 22 inches (πd), assuming the tank moves within the circle. How are you getting 44 inches?

Oops, its 2(pi)r, with r being the radius, not the diameter. Meh, engineering equations only ever use the radius anyways...

SeattleDV8
11-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Displacement is only used when determining what a vehicle is hit on in assault and Turbo-boosting.
If you look on page 57 it tells us it a vehicle is allowed to move forward and then reverse as long as the maximun movement is not passed. Which is exactly the opposite of the vehicle assault rules on pg. 64.
Strangely enough you could move a skimmer 12" out and then back, giving the vehicle the 'flat-out' cover save, but still would be auto-hit in assault.