PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves in 6th: Vehicles or Drop Pods?

Cypher the Fallen
05-29-2013, 10:52 AM
So, I haven't really played in a long time, and I'm just coming back into the game and trying to get caught up with 6th edition. I'm a big Space Wolves fan, but it seems that they are in a bit of trouble because they don't have access to any flyers without allies. The Space wolf strength is to control the midfield, so logically you have to get them there. My question is, can the sons of Russ still rely on their vehicles, or since they are going to get glanced to death now, is it a good idea to pick up some Drop Pods? I think it provides a way to get them to the midfield quickly, although it of course leaves your units that aren't drop podding in vulnerable in the first one or two turns.

I mostly play for fun, but at the same time, I don't want to get massacred every game. I have seen some people use Drop Pods very effectively before, and Rhinos don't seem like a terribly practical option these days. And footslogging is pretty much outta the question, right?

Also, i'm definitely going to be running some thunderwolf calvary, and a lord on a thunderwolf, so I do want a distraction so they can get across the board without getting shot by everything every turn. Would drop Pods help with that, or would a Rhino line be more effective as a screen?

Any thoughts are welcome as long as you are constructive and polite about it.

Lost Vyper
05-29-2013, 11:30 AM
I face SW´s with my Eldar often and i am more afraid the Pod assault than fe. a Landraider. I have faced both options and fare better against the vehicles...

Tyrendian
05-29-2013, 12:21 PM
that might be due to you playing eldar, with Fire Dragons and lances... but generally I agree - Drop Pods pose bigger problems for many armies, especially shooty ones... Orks and Nids on the other hand will probably be glad that you come to them...
Also, Space Puppies do have two rather awesome fliers - the Storm Eagle and Caestus... I own one of the former, and it has yet to really fail me... the firepower alone is massive, and on top of that it's a flying assault transport for 20 models... doesn't come cheap though, neither in points nor cash, being FW...

Ursus Maior
06-04-2013, 09:36 AM
How do I get those into my army list? Were they FAQed or allies or IA from FW. Just asking, since I paused gaming for about 2 years and just returned.

G00dySmiley
06-07-2013, 03:42 PM
drop por wolves are pretty strong, but it does help alot to ally vanilla marines or another force like blood angels. vnailla marines as allies means you can take a storm raven and a storm talon