PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new game - 10-15 mm

mckoll
05-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Hey guys, I am looking to get into another game and I'm looking at the smaller scale games. I've played 40k for 10 yrs or so, and still love the fluff, but I want to broaden my horizons. I want to know what some of the options are and what people are playing that has good rules, models, and fluff. Also the less expensive the better haha. I had my eye on, but not limited to, dropzone commander, flames of war, and dystopian wars. if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it!

Daemonette666
05-31-2013, 03:32 AM
Most of the smaller scale 10 - 15mm games that are good are not sci-fi based. They revolve around WW I and WW II or ancient times (romans, celts, greeks), or they are musket and pike games (cromwell, american civil war, napoleonics). Most of the good Sci-Fi games are either based on 6mm (or smaller - 2mm) DZC and Classic Battletech, or are of a similar scale to 40K like dystopian legions, warmachine/hordes. Some are borderline sci-fi wargames, and would probably be classed as skirmish wargames. Infinity, Malifaux, even Warmhordes to a degree.

If you want to try a game that has the potential for small size games and battles, but can also be upsized to larger games and collecting. A game that is moderately easy to paint the miniatures with detail, and has miniatures that look good, then I have 4 to suggest. 3 of them are in the 6mm scale. Drop Zone commander, Dystopian Ward, and Classic Battletech (my first and preferred table top wargame). The last is more of a skirmish based game and is still in the 25 - 35 mm scale of 40K - Infinity.

If you are not picky about the genre, try flames of war. It is 15mm, and WWII based, but there are a lot of vehicles, infantry and you can build the armies as large as you need. Depending upon your location, most of the games are easily available to purchase, I would probably recommend you give a list of the sort of things you want from the game. I.E. complexity, squad up to battalion size, what period (timeline), and also what scale (which you have already said is 10mm - 15mm).

A word of advise - find others who also play the same gaming system in your area, make sure both you and they are likely to be in your area for some time, and also make sure the gaming system had some popularity. It is no good starting a collection, and then the supplier/ manufacturer goes bust, or drops the game.

Hope you find your gaming system.

Evil & Chaos
06-17-2013, 06:49 AM
I humbly suggest Timeline 300.

http://www.troublemakergames.co.uk/webstore-british.htm

James Jimbo Burrell
06-25-2013, 01:55 AM
I recommend Valkyrie and gruntz for 15mm Sci-fi , as the owner of ACPGames yes I recommend my own game. It's a free download on dropship horizon. Gruntz has a great yahoo group and community of players. Either way, good luck and happy gaming!

roadkizzle
08-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Hey guys, I am looking to get into another game and I'm looking at the smaller scale games. I've played 40k for 10 yrs or so, and still love the fluff, but I want to broaden my horizons. I want to know what some of the options are and what people are playing that has good rules, models, and fluff. Also the less expensive the better haha. I had my eye on, but not limited to, dropzone commander, flames of war, and dystopian wars. if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it!

I think that Heavy Gear Blitz would be another very good game for you to look into. Scalewise humans are approximately 12mm tall and there are infantry platoons available for each faction but the main focus is around mechs which are supposed to be around 15 feet tall, so are about 35mm tall in the game.

I've just really looking into it recently because I have some players in my area looking for a game to replace 40k but it appears to have a lot of tactical depth, while having more strategic possibilities than Battletech due to larger forces battling with many options such as fast recon units acting as spotters for indirect firing units and electronic warfare.