PDA

View Full Version : Necrons, Monoliths and Interceptor

Maelstorm
05-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Since the Monolith is a "Heavy Skimmer" - does this mean you can deep strike a Monolith, avoid landing on enemy units (skimmer deep strike rule), rotate the Monolith and position the portal to prevent the unit stepping through from reserve from getting plastered by Interceptor? Does a unit with Interceptor need LOS to a disembarking unit to shoot it?

Thoughts - Replace 4 Scythes with 2 Monoliths, Deep Striking Monoliths + C'tan. Expensive yet frightening!

DarkLink
05-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Interceptor is a shooting attack, and you need LOS for a shooting attack.

Straight JaKeT
05-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Also keep in mind you cannot disembark from a monolith the turn it deep strikes because the portal only works at the beginning of the movement phase.... Sad I know...

Ketharim
05-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Also keep in mind you cannot disembark from a monolith the turn it deep strikes because the portal only works at the beginning of the movement phase.... Sad I know...

Yes you can, take a look at the latest FAQ :cool:

Maelstorm
05-27-2013, 04:23 PM

In 1 turn, the latest FAQ allows you to:

A. Deep strike the Monolith using Skimmer rules.
B. Pull a unit of models through (anything except a vehicle)
C. Fire the main blast weapon (S8 AP3 Large Blast, Ordinance) as if it was stationary
D. Snap fire all 4 flayer arrays (4 each, S4 AP5 Heavy 3).

- Ward wrote it, what else would you expect?

No more worries about the deploying units getting hit with Interceptor fire and you can drop the big blast template down on the head of anything within 24". Only a 6 from Lascannon will more than glance AV14 as it deep strikes into their back lines and brings through a mob of shooty (Warriors, Immortals, Deathmarks + Cryptek) or killy (C'tan, Wraiths, Flayed Ones, Triarchs, etc...)

Pull through a the shard of the C'tan Nightbringer, protect it from fire with the Monolith, assault with the shard your next turn. Add the specialization that makes melta-weapons explode in the users hands for mad-scientist fun.

Occam
05-29-2013, 02:17 PM
In 1 turn, the latest FAQ allows you to:

C. Fire the main blast weapon (S8 AP3 Large Blast, Ordinance) as if it was stationary

- Ward wrote it, what else would you expect?

No more worries about the deploying units getting hit with Interceptor fire and you can drop the big blast template down on the head of anything within 24". Only a 6 from Lascannon will more than glance AV14 as it deep strikes into their back lines and brings through a mob of shooty (Warriors, Immortals, Deathmarks + Cryptek) or killy (C'tan, Wraiths, Flayed Ones, Triarchs, etc...)

Pull through a the shard of the C'tan Nightbringer, protect it from fire with the Monolith, assault with the shard your next turn. Add the specialization that makes melta-weapons explode in the users hands for mad-scientist fun.

This sounds totally awesome! Where in the FAQ of April 2013 is it? I'm just not seeing it and ctrl-f isn't finding the word monolith. As a necron player, i need to know where my cheese shopping is!

Maelstorm
05-29-2013, 04:36 PM
This sounds totally awesome! Where in the FAQ of April 2013 is it? I'm just not seeing it and ctrl-f isn't finding the word monolith. As a necron player, i need to know where my cheese shopping is!

.... From the Necron Codex, the Monolith is listed as a Heavy Skimmer - Skimmers auto-deviate if they land on a model. Living metal allows it a very good chance to ignore stunned/shaken if it lands on difficult/dangerous terrain.

.... From Page 1 of the Latest Necron FAQ:
"Monolith, Dimensional Corridor Add “Note that a Monolith can use its Dimensional Corridor on a turn that it deploys by Deep Strike.”

.... From the BRB FAQ page 7:
Q: Can a vehicle that has moved at Cruising Speed still fire an
Ordnance weapon? (p71) A: Yes, providing that the vehicle is not Snap Firing.
Heavy Vehicles - Always fire as if stationary, even if they move (from the BRB - I don't have it here at work)

.... Heavy Vehicles - Always fire as if stationary, even if they move (from the BRB - I don't have it here at work). The Gauss Flayers must snap-fire if the Monolith fires it's Ordinance weapon (from the Ordinance rules in the BRB).