PDA

View Full Version : Characters consolidating into coherency

entendre_entendre
11-06-2009, 03:24 PM
theoretical question: if an independent character charges into an assault containing a friendly unit, and together, they wipe out the enemy or force them to fall back. can the IC use their consolidation move to get into coherency with said friendly unit, or do they have to wait for their next movement phase? :confused: this would be used to prevent the IC getting shot at by the enemy in their turn.

example: if Kharn (by himself) assaults a target being attacked by my CSM's, if the enemy flees/is killed, could kharn join that CSM unit in the consolidation move to prevent him getting shot to pieces in the enemy turn? i'm thinking no due to the rule about IC's joining/leaving units is only in the movement phase, not the assault phase, but consolidation is a "move".
i'm looking for confirmation/other opinions here, also if i come across any rules lawyers stating the above, i want to know if they're right or not before i question them and start something unpleasant.

now, one could just put the IC behind the unit to get a cover save, but that won't help if they're getting shot at by a bunch of lasguns ;)

Nabterayl
11-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Joining is checked for only at the end of the Movement phase. See page 48. So in your example, Kharn would remain in his own unit until the end of the next Movement phase (unless he was within 2" of the assaulting CSM at the end of his Movement phase, and then made a very short assault move).

DarkLink
11-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Right, the only time IC's enter or leave unit coherency is at the end of the movement phase.

entendre_entendre
11-06-2009, 05:57 PM
ok just thought i would check, you can't be too careful these days...

mstingray
11-08-2009, 07:00 AM
if you consolidated behind the Chaos space marines anyway, you would get a cover save, which would protect him a bit