PDA

View Full Version : Cool army themes...

Mr Mystery
05-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Afternoon! So I've got one bubbling away up in my head, and fancied seeing what others have come up with!

In short, I'm thinking a non-classical Alpha Legion army done in a very classical way....

In short, a Chaos army featuring absolutely zero Chaos models. POUR QUOI?

Well. Alpha Legion. Sneaky. Dead sneaky infiltratory sneaky hush sneaks. Always have been. Always will be. Imperium. Massive. Powerful. Purposefully ignorant population, who kind of know about the Adeptus Astartes, but are infintessimally unlikely to ever see one.... So it's simple to mug some Loyalists, or de-chaosify your armour. Paint it a random heraldry (or even the original Alpha Legion colours) and just...sort of turn up. On a planet. Encourage the local PDF to rise up against their clearly chaotic naughty rebel scum leader.

Perfect subversion!

SotonShades
05-24-2013, 08:00 AM
I like the sound of that a lot. Very much along the themes of the Alpha legion, without over doing it.

On a similar note I have plans for a combined chaos army, primarily worshipping Slaanesh. Deamons, Chaos Marines and rebel guard all round. However for the marines, I want a core of veteran troops (along the lines of Noise marines, VotLW with mark of Slaanesh etc) and the rest made up of rebel marines, still in their original chapter colours but with imperial iconography/chapter symbols crossed out, scratched off and generally defiled.

Of course my other themed army that I'm currently working on (honest... I know it has been a while since I posted anything about them) is Da Koptaforce. Kopta mounted ork armies are funny. Terrible in competitive terms, but very funny :P

DrLove42
05-24-2013, 08:05 AM
I have a Word Bearers army. That uses a lot of deamon allies. And even more Cultists. I'm up to 96 now....and every one thats painted is individually painted...none of this batch painting nonsense!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-24-2013, 08:09 AM
My current Chaos force is an interesting one.
They are an Alpha Legion splinter group, and they are spies, assassins, and conspirators.

The theme of the army is the Web of Intrigue, the Widowmakers watch from afar then use the gathered information to destroy their enemies.
They are perfect at destroying fortresses, fortified positions, etc.

They have adopted the symbol of the Death Spider, which symbolises their poisonous and secretive nature. Never trust a Widowmaker to help you, he will only use it to blackmail or destroy you.

YorkNecromancer
05-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Encourage the local PDF to rise up against their clearly chaotic naughty rebel scum leader.

"Here. Wear our symbol of loyalty to the Imperium: this eight-pointed star. It's a sign of how the Emperor's love extends in ALL directions..."

Deadlift
05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
I always fancied doing an all Ogryn army "counts as deathwing" but alas my converting skills aren't up to it,

Dalleron
05-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Ive contemplated a samurai themed Sm army. It would for all intents and purposes be relic blade spam. I had the idea of meshing space marine helms and bloodletter heads for helmets. I thought the armour would be too much work to make like a samurai's was so that was out of the question. Never did get around to the army, though I found some cool katana-esque weapons on line, though they weren't curved at all.

Houghten
05-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Encourage the local PDF to rise up against their clearly chaotic naughty rebel scum leader.

I don't think "chaotic naughty" is a valid alignment...

chicop76
05-24-2013, 12:46 PM
I was thinking Thyme music. I always felt robotech music while playing Tau would fit so well. Again Macross might fit a bit more. I like the music for Macross Plus as well.

Mr Mystery
05-24-2013, 02:34 PM
"Here. Wear our symbol of loyalty to the Imperium: this eight-pointed star. It's a sign of how the Emperor's love extends in ALL directions..."

Quite possibly! Though thinking purely a background thing. Would look more like SM with Guard allies. The whole idea is to not give any chaotic clues. Just pure subversion and confusion.

Even if reinforcements show up, unless its another chapter of Marines, there is a good chance they'll be subverted as well. And should Marines show up, what's the chances they'd know about the Alpha Legion? HH is very hush hush. No telling how far that ignorance has penetrated! Keep Daemony stuff to a bare minimum, and go with Heresy era tank models....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Ive contemplated a samurai themed Sm army. It would for all intents and purposes be relic blade spam. I had the idea of meshing space marine helms and bloodletter heads for helmets. I thought the armour would be too much work to make like a samurai's was so that was out of the question. Never did get around to the army, though I found some cool katana-esque weapons on line, though they weren't curved at all.

You want dis (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Rising_Sons)

Asymmetrical Xeno
05-24-2013, 03:00 PM
They have adopted the symbol of the Death Spider, which symbolises their poisonous and secretive nature. Never trust a Widowmaker to help you, he will only use it to blackmail or destroy you.

I'd say I'd lend you Helga as a counts-as Helbrute, but you'd be hard pressed to use her during the movement phase when she has already gone to sleep.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Hahahaha thanks for the offer, but it is just a symbol. :p

daboarder
05-24-2013, 04:17 PM
well I've got a nurgle army I'm wrapping up that is fallen blood angels.

I'm also about to start a slaaneshi CSM army that is led by miriael sabathiel. I'm also thinking making them slaaneshi ultramarines would be cool.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-24-2013, 04:48 PM
well I've got a nurgle army I'm wrapping up that is fallen blood angels.
Based on the Dornian Heresy?

Wolfshade
05-24-2013, 04:48 PM
A friend of mine is painting up his guardsmen as the current British army

daboarder
05-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Based on the Dornian Heresy?

Thats where the original idea came from yes, but its evolved a bit since then.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-25-2013, 02:28 AM
Nice.

daboarder
05-25-2013, 03:34 AM
Nice.

Cheers mate, they're down in the modelling forum if you want to check em out, I think they are page two at the moment.

Denzark
05-25-2013, 04:13 AM
I've got the parts for a Squad of Raptors that will be Alpha Legion. It will be vanilla, un-mutated marine parts, UM shoulder pads etc. However there will be a few clues. All the weapons will be chaos ie meltas, BP with belt ammo etc. If I do any bare heads they will be the chaos top knots etc. Also, the other shoulder pad will be AL. From on far it will look like a smurf jump squad, up close when its too late, it will be Alpha legion...

gregtheslacker
05-25-2013, 07:10 PM
I've always wanted to do a White Scars army as a scroungy biker gang instead of Mongols.

Drunkencorgimaster
05-28-2013, 05:09 PM
I think it is brilliant. The hobby needs more fluffy creativity of that sort.

Mr Mystery
05-29-2013, 02:46 PM
Indeed! I find on the interwebs, gaming over takes modelling in the public eye.

Just chatting my local GW and former Manager about our respective Heresy armies. I intend to dual field my Emperor's Children for 30k and 40k as loyalists. After all, lost in the warp doesn't necessarily mean you're dead or indeed gone. This lot (a small strike force) were spat out into the 41st Millenium! It means ensuring the majority meets Codex Space Marines for all comers, but with enough Crusade elements to offer my opponents a bit of straight up Heresy action if they fancy it. Cool story, extra variety and way more bang for my buck :)

Popsical
05-29-2013, 03:00 PM
As with mystery, im making my astral claws a viable force for various lists.
I can make tyrants legion, codex space marine, seige assault vangaurd and hh legion (with the latter its a case of what could have been had huron's ambition been fullfilled).

Brakkart
05-29-2013, 03:01 PM
I've started on painting up a small force of Angry Marines to use as Allies for my Imperial Fists. I quite like the Angry Marines but they are a little too OTT for me, so have toned them down a little bit and I'm using the Blood Angels codex to represent them as a Counts-as Flesh Tearers force.

The story behind them is that due to their massively aggressive ways they (like the actual Flesh Tearers) have a bit of a recruitment problem in that their losses far exceed their intake of new recruits. Unlike the Tearers though who have elected to go out in a blaze of very bloody glory, the Angry Marines leader has decided that what they need is a chapter Homeworld, somewhere suitably nasty that breeds people of a hardy and take no s*** from anyone nature. Catachan would be perfect, but sadly already spoken for. To this extent they approached the Imperial Fists with an offer: "We'll work alongside you and give you an elite assault force to complement all the artillery and heavy weaponry you like to use, in return after a suitable length of time, say 100 years or so, you'll put in a good word for us with the High Lords of Terra with regard to us being awarded a suitably nasty homeworld, as frankly you are in much better standing with them than we are".

To make this more palatable, they have toned down the graffiti they habitually cover their armour in, though they still adorn it with words like Rage, Hate, Pain etc.

Mr Mystery
05-29-2013, 03:04 PM
On the Alpha Legion idea, I should be able to do various 'counts as' to include the more Chaotic elements.

As an opponent, would you appreciate a 'who's who and what's what' crib sheet for the game? Can knock up a laminated one dead easily.

Pendragon38
05-29-2013, 08:58 PM
I've made an army of mercenary Tech marine that are hired out for lost tech/stc. There are a lot of machines in my army. And all my Sgt.'s are aspiring tech marines with servo-arms on there backpacks.

Perry

Ankhalagon
05-30-2013, 04:36 AM
I have an Adeptus Mechanicus Force. Based on the Tempus Fugitives fandex.

Mr Mystery
05-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Not familiar with that one!

Now, WYSIWYG within a 'counts as' army.... could be a bone of contention.

For instance, so I don't miss out on the Daemonic goodness in the CSM Codex, I'm thinking of using Contemptor Dreadnoughts in place of Forgefiends. Kheres in place of Hades, Plasma in place of Ecto Plasma. All down on the cheat sheet so my opponent can see what's up.

But is that enough? They certainly match the Forgefiend in height, but not so much in bulk. So I was thinking as I'd be using the oval base anyway (correct size for Forgefiend), I'd be left with a decent amount of room, which I can use to make a diorama of scenery, loosely matching the dimensions of a Forgefiend?

jellostairway
06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
I've got two army themes I'm working on now, with a third to come before too long...

First is my Dark Angels. The entire army is robed and I'm working on fluff for a successor chapter called the Angels of Silence, where none of them are allowed to speak save for their Master of Chaplains, who will titled the Voice of Silence. It's not super original, but I like the idea and an entirely robed space marine army looks awesome on the table top.

Second is my Khorne Daemons. I'm going an odd direction with this one, but it's working out nicely. Basically the theme is a returned ghost army. The whole army will be painted a kind of ethereal green with shadow blades and chains (the hobby link chain from GF9) wrapped around their chests. My centerpiece will be a Soul Grinder on a base painted like a portal, and I'm going to use bloodletter bits on the base and have them hanging off it and trying to hold it down with the same chains. I'm really looking forward to this one being completed because I feel like it's unique and will look really awesome.

My third one I want to work on in the future is gentleman Orks. Fluff-wise, some Warboss has gotten it into his head that he's going to be sophisticated, so he puts on a tuxedo (and promptly rips it to shreds) and a top hat with a monocle and maybe a cane, not sure. Anyway, since he's decided to be sophisticated, he's forcing all his boyz and other assorted ork buddies to do the same, so they'll all be running around with top hats with assorted other fancy bits thrown in. I'm not sure how this will turn out, but I think it'll be a ton of fun to model and will be an interesting story if nothing else.

Anyway, that's all I got.

Asymmetrical Xeno
06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
I themed all of my armies :

Enslavers (alien race from Rogue Trader, anti-chaos, lovecraftian warp xenos)
Ulumeathic League (Survivors of the Tyranid hive fleet that nearly wiped them out to extinction)
Quantum Chevrons Space Marines (A chapter of space marines that deal specifically with unknown alien threats)
Admech (They are a secret cult that worship a Shard of the C'tan Void Dragon on one of the Admech's Forgeworlds)

dirkspair
06-09-2013, 09:40 AM
my current CSM army is is a Black Legion force based on the events that happened after "STORM OF IRON".
Abaddon got his hands on a bunch of gene seed with which he made a huge load of new chaos marines, so all the basic marine and havoc squads are cheap marines. squads of chosen have been disbanded to provide the squads with leaders, each force has been assigned leaders (usually a chaos lord and a sorcerer) and beefed up with some veterans and support vehicles and they are sent out to test their mettle, weed out the weak and foolish and when they are battle hardened and properly indoctrinated they will form the core of a new black crusade.

Learn2Eel
06-09-2013, 11:42 PM
I think, in light of the new Man of Steel move, I may do a Swooping Hawk themed force down the track - maybe in a few years. I can't quite put my finger on it, but to me, the idea of a hero that radiates with the sun's brilliance both inspires me and, oddly, fills me with tears of joy. I guess the whole paragon/belief thing really resonates with me.

To that end, I want to have a Hawk themed force with Baharroth, three full squads of Swooping Hawks, converted Windrider Jetbikes with Swooping Hawks aesthetics and maybe Fire Prisms converted to fit the theme, maybe with hawk wings around the turret or main gun. And of course, they would all be painted red and blue.

This is probably the list I would use at 1500;

HQ
Baharroth

Troops
Windrider Jetbikes (9) w/ three shuriken cannons x3

Fast Attack
Swooping Hawks (10) x3

Heavy Support
Fire Prism w/ shuriken cannon x2

It would be ridiculously expensive though, at $959 AUD before adding in conversion stuff for the Jetbikes and Fire Prisms, hence why it would be a long term project.

St.Germaine
08-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Indeed! I find on the interwebs, gaming over takes modelling in the public eye.

Just chatting my local GW and former Manager about our respective Heresy armies. I intend to dual field my Emperor's Children for 30k and 40k as loyalists. After all, lost in the warp doesn't necessarily mean you're dead or indeed gone. This lot (a small strike force) were spat out into the 41st Millenium! It means ensuring the majority meets Codex Space Marines for all comers, but with enough Crusade elements to offer my opponents a bit of straight up Heresy action if they fancy it. Cool story, extra variety and way more bang for my buck :)

Love this idea. I've been playing a Loyalist remnant of the EC since 3rd Ed. Fair warning however. While this army has been very popular with my local groups, there are a substantial number of people online who will prove to be (I'll be polite and extremely generous here) extremely insensitive and and quite adamant that you are wrong that this army can exist in the 40K universe. To be fair, over the years I have had a few people who think this is a great idea and have supported this army on those occasions I've discussed it online. Don't get me wrong, obviously I think this is a GREAT concept that GW completely missed the bus on. The fluff possibilities they missed... (sigh) There aren't another group of marines with a higher angst level - never being completely trusted by even those who've "accepted" that not all EC turned coat. Fighting to reclaim their soiled honor. It's the best story in the 40K universe. And it doesn't exist.

Have a thick skin and enjoy. If you want to discuss this concept further, shoot me a PM.

Ravingbantha
08-03-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm slowly converting my eldar army to a haunted army, the Craftworld is Called Dae en’ Coia, which is Elven for 'Shadow of Life'. For my Warlocks I'm removing the heads and weapons, adding Skulls from the VC line and molding hoods over them, and replacing the weapons with scrths from the zombie sprus. Using mantic zombie bits to convert my guardians into zombie guardians. I've got 3 warwalkers converted using Nurgle plauge done wings and legs. A wraithlord has been converted to look as if a tree had grown up and through the armor plates. 1 Unit of wraithguard, using Necron bodies with Wraithguard heads, guns, and fins. 1 Unit of Banshees converted from Dryads. The Wraithguard and Wraithlord have orange heads with pumpkin like faces.

I plan another unit of Banshess to convert to look like weeping Angels, I'm going with a bat swarm for Warp Spiders. I want to use hexwraith bodies and weapons for my shinning spears, Wraithblades will have Necron heads and dryad branches. My Autarch my include a kit bash from the VC Wight King. I plan to merge my wave serpents with Corpse carts. For my fire Prism I plan to remove the turret and creat sort of hanging crystal alter on top instead. May do a walking skull for another unit of warwalkers. Considered converting lizardmen with some parts to be fire dragons. Still trying to come up with some ideas for other peices like my scorpions. thinking of converting Feugan to a Lord Soth like character, may do a Baharroth/the crow crossover and possibly a Karahandras/jason or freddy crossover.

Cactus
08-03-2013, 05:47 PM
I've always wanted to do an Aqua Marine army. SCUBA based marines... especially with the cool water effects that are now available.

GallandroX
11-20-2013, 03:43 PM
Absolutely feel for you, the enjoyment I get out of 40k is the freedom the lore gives you t8 create alternate story lines and sub plots etc the universe is a big place, how can there not be room for 30k EC in 40k? The warp does strange and unique things. Stico with the guys who love the fluff , I get bored of being told that because its not been written in a codex then it cant happen. Its your hobby, do ehat feels good!