PDA

View Full Version : Assassins

PostWarFolk
11-05-2009, 03:35 PM
If I was going to take one of the four demonhunter assassins. Which one is my best bet? I was thinking the Vindicare since my IG is already a sit back and shoot army. Plus I like the model.

Javin
11-05-2009, 03:42 PM
First play what you like.

Second look at each assassin and see what they bring to the army.

Third try them all out, see if your friends will allow you to proxy a few games so you can get a feel for them.

mstingray
11-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I agree with Javin, but personally I don't like the vindicare, as its is still a weapon that wounds on 4+, so he will only do an average or 2-3 wounds per battle (not counting the special ammunition). I quite like the psychic one (can't remember the name) as it reduces the leadership of all the squads around it, and against spells like JOTWW or Lash, it can counter them quite easily.

eagleboy7259
11-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Eversor's good for the points, since you can easily lock him into close combat on turn one. Caldius is my other favorite one, easy to tie up an enemy's dev squad for a turn or two, or keep an assault unit from reaching you.

DarkLink
11-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Don't bother with the anti-psyker one, unless you either face multiple units of psykers, or want to spam his pistol (the pistol gets extra shots for each psyker within a certain range, so with Psyker Battle Squads you can get a Str5 AP2 Assault 20 gun, for example). Frankly, I doubt this guy is worth it.

The eversor is a beast in CC. He always wounds on a 4+ with his power weapon, and gets an extra d6 attacks on the charge. He easily has the potential to kill the Nightbringer or a Carnifex on the charge. Plus, he gets a 12" charge, and infiltrate. Meaning you can hide him behind a wall 12" away from someone, and get a first turn charge, potentially.

The vindicare is tricky. He probably won't make his points back, but used carefully can turn the tide of the game. He only gets one shot of each of his ammo type, and between the number of turns and only wounding on a 4+, he'll only cause 2-3 wounds the whole game. But if you can take out enemy powerfists and other easy kills, the tide of battle could potentially turn.

I'm not too sure about the Callidus. She lets you move one enemy unit 6" after they deploy, which can be nice, but a little gimmicky. She gets a sword that ignores armor and invulnerable saves, but isn't too buff in CC otherwise.

Note: None of them have frag grenades. They also only have 2 wounds and a 4+ save, so they won't stand up to a whole lot of fire, even if the save is Invulnerable.

Polaris
11-05-2009, 07:56 PM
If you have a "sit back shooty army", put a calludis assassin in your list.

"A word in your ear" Lets you move a unit 6". You can use it to move a unit into range/sights of your big guns!

"polymorphine" is another great one. Allowing you to appear ANYWHERE on the map will always keep your opponent guessing.

My 2 cents

Aegis
11-05-2009, 11:01 PM
I have to weigh in on the use of the Culexus. I used to think he was a point sink too, but I have been giving him a lot of play time recently, and I have come to the decision that is actually quite effective!

Mind you, I do not take him because of his anti-psyker abilities, while they do provide an awesome bonus, but rather his soulless ability. Makes those panic tests when you shoot away 25% of the enemy unit far more devastating, especially if they have a lower leadership to begin.

Great example, playing a game of planet strike the other day, coming on the flank next the enemy stronghold, my buddy had a unit of Harlies behind 4+ cover. Combine this with their super shrouding, I was have a hard time taking them. However, they were within 12" of my Culexus, and I managed to wound enough of them to force the panic test. Suddenly, a unit that could have caused my sisters an immense amount of trouble was not so confident about sticking around, and they ran like the Xenos cowards that they are.

Of course, having said that, it really does depend on what sort of game you are playing, and who your opponent is. The Callidus does make frequent appearances in my list, as she can devastate heavy weapon teams, by moving them out of position, or by popping up next to them and charging them.

bonedale
11-06-2009, 07:56 AM
It's hard not to take the Callidus.

Her ability to appear anywhere and assault is huge. Every other assassin may not get a chance to do anything, but she is always guaranteed. Hit a leadership 8 or 9 squad with that template and assault the survivors. Great for devastator squads, lone tact squads trying to sneak an objective, etc.