PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions

mstingray
11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
I was reading the Chaos Space marine codex and came up with two questions.

The assault vehicle rule on the land raider says "models disembarking from a chaos land raider may assault on the same turn, so does this mean that a unit of terminators can run and then assault? As the rulebook says the codex is in preference of the Rulebook.

The other question is about psychic powers, because it says that models with mark of tzeentch can "attempt to use two psychic powers per turn (but not two powers that both count as firing a weapon, as models can only fire one weapon per shooting phase)", so does this mean that I can do a psychic power and force weapon or just the force weapon (depending if it counts as a power).

Nabterayl
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM

The assault vehicle rule on the land raider says "models disembarking from a chaos land raider may assault on the same turn, so does this mean that a unit of terminators can run and then assault? As the rulebook says the codex is in preference of the Rulebook.

That's actually a pretty ingenious argument. Strictly speaking I think you have found a loophole, but I'd certainly squawk if you tried it. I think most people read Assault Vehicle as actually saying, "Models disembarking from a Chaos Land Raider ignore the restrictions on assaulting out of a transport vehicle."

The other question is about psychic powers, because it says that models with mark of tzeentch can "attempt to use two psychic powers per turn (but not two powers that both count as firing a weapon, as models can only fire one weapon per shooting phase)", so does this mean that I can do a psychic power and force weapon or just the force weapon (depending if it counts as a power).
A force weapon does count as a power, and it does not count as a psychic shooting attack. So you can absolutely, say, use Doombolt (which does count as a psychic shooting attack) and then use the force weapon power in the same turn.

Tyrsday
11-05-2009, 03:17 PM

1) Short answer, no. They don't have fleet so they can't assault the same turn they run. The assault vehicle rule just means you can jet the LR forward, dump them out, then assault getting about a 20" assault range. (12" for LR cruising, 2"deployment buffer, 6" assault=20") Still that's pretty cool and better then running them IMO.

2) Yes and yes. You can do one shooting power and one non-shooting power a turn. (I.e. Bolt of Change + Force weapon)

mstingray
11-05-2009, 03:20 PM
thanks for clearing those up, another thing. Does the Chaos Land Raider count as a dedicated transport, i.e. take up a selection slot, as the rhino is specifically mentioned to be one. But in the Chaos terminator entry, it says they "may have a chaos land raider as a dedicated transport".

I was just wondering as I do iron warriors, so the more tanks I can fit in the better

chromedog
11-05-2009, 03:35 PM
If they may take one and do, then yes, it counts as a dedicated transport (and only the unit it is purchased for may start the game deployed in it). This way you can have x squads with dedicated land raiders and still have three heavy support raiders.

If it's just a heavy support choice, then it is undedicated and any unit may start deployed in it.

Culven
11-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Others have answered your question, but I would like to suggest something that this permits. Select a Tzeentch Sorcerer with Wind of Chaos and Warptime. On your turn, move up, use Wind of Chaos then Assault. On yor opponent's turn, you can use Warptime and still use the Force Weapon ability.

DarkLink
11-05-2009, 07:05 PM
The wording could be better, but I think you are still barred from assaulting after running.

1. There are restrictions on assaulting after disembarking.
2. The assault ramp rule removes those restrictions with a general statement, but does not explicitly deal with other restrictions.
3. Running has its own restriction, which is not covered by the assault ramp rule.

However, it could be argued either way quite effectively. The difference lies in point 2.

2. The assault ramp rule allows disembarkers to always assault after disembarking. There are no explicit limits placed on this allowance, and as such it additionally overrides the restriction on assaulting resulting from a Run move.

It depends on which point 2 you believe.

When it comes to Force Weapons, think of them like this: it is a power weapon. In addition, you get a "free" psychic power that inflicts Instant Death on one enemy model that you wounded that assault phase.