PDA

View Full Version : Was buying the collectors edition of a codex worth the price?

Bitrider
05-22-2013, 10:41 AM
For those of you that bought the CE of a codex do you think it was worth the price you paid? I am thinking of getting the Eldar CE but wanted to see what other thought of their own CE purchase.

Kyban
05-22-2013, 11:44 AM
I am also interested, did it come with anything extra or was it just "fancy"?

Sainhann
05-22-2013, 02:17 PM

Probably just more old time fluff and fancy.

I would pass on it.

Mrchilidog
05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Having bought the CE of Dark Angels & Tau, I would say not really. I'm pretty sure the only reason I bought them was that I have GW collector's disease. They could put out a limited edition turd and for some reason I would feel compelled to buy it.

Kevlarshark
05-22-2013, 03:22 PM
I thought they only had a slightly more bling cover...do they have any additional content or free bits and bobs?

daboarder
05-22-2013, 05:00 PM
I've bought every collectors edition so far, and will continue too.

1) because I am loving 6th edition, enough that I want to invest the money into making this edition something special to me.

2) because I like the limited printing, the covers and the product.

3) because I have relatives in the UK I am able to order the limited edition codex for the price of the regular codex if I am willing to wait a couple of weeks postage.

darthslowe
05-22-2013, 06:01 PM

It doesn't come with anything extra, it is just fancy. I bought the Dark Angels Limited Edition Codex and standard codex, there is NO difference in content. The limited edition codex comes with a fancy dust jacket and a card telling you which number you purchased. Other than that, nothing.

Kamin_Majere
05-22-2013, 06:02 PM
The only difference in the normal run of a codex and the collectors edition run is the cover art... So basically if the different picture is worth the doubling of price to you then it's worth it, if the different picture is just a picture to you then no it's not worth it

daboarder
05-22-2013, 07:26 PM
It doesn't come with anything extra, it is just fancy. I bought the Dark Angels Limited Edition Codex and standard codex, there is NO difference in content. The limited edition codex comes with a fancy dust jacket and a card telling you which number you purchased. Other than that, nothing.

The Covering and presentation are completely different. Aside from the dust jacket the lmtd DA codex also features a fabric cover with imprinted DW and RW symbols on either side, it contains the tassle marker. and the edging on the pages is black finishing.

Demonus
05-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Do you want a fancy cover and do you feel justified in spending an extra $40 or whatever it is for said fancy cover? If the answer is yes to this question, then buy the LE codex. If the answer is "that's all I get is a fancy cover?" then use said $40 to pay for half of almost half a Wraith Knight...

chicop76
05-23-2013, 07:58 AM
I think the Tau one was the best so far.

1. They get a dust cover. Tau got like a box to slide the book in that was transparent and blended with the book cover art. The Tau cover was basically the art of the differant suits front and back.

2. You get a bookmark like the main book.

3. You get a letter saying what #sequence the book was printed within let's say 1k copies. The Tau one was written in Tau.

Out of the ones I seen I can see paying an extra 25 dollars for the books. The Tau one looked like they actually took the time to make it special, while the other 3 I would had a sence of being ripped off. I wouldn't mind the Tau one, even if I still think it's not worth it.

If it's like the others I would say no. If the put the effort they did Tau and if you really like Eldar than go for it.

Houghten
05-23-2013, 11:04 AM
My Tau sleeve was cracked on arrival :(

chicop76
05-23-2013, 11:37 AM
My Tau sleeve was cracked on arrival :(

Disapointed! For 50 dollars that sleeve should be industructable.

AnEnemy
05-24-2013, 11:08 AM
You're really looking to pay more than the already overproduced/overpriced regular editions?

I wish they'd just put out soft covers again. At least you could spiralize those without completely losing your ***.

Hardcovers are just about the most inconvenient way you could produce books meant for gameplay.

Alethian
05-24-2013, 07:19 PM
The only thing different about the CEs is the cover and slipcase, and obviously the limited factor. But having said that, I've bought every CE codex and the CE rulebook. Because I want to. Cough.

I don't regret it. Just placed my order for CE eldar.

calamitycal
05-24-2013, 10:01 PM
You're really looking to pay more than the already overproduced/overpriced regular editions?

I wish they'd just put out soft covers again. At least you could spiralize those without completely losing your ***.

Hardcovers are just about the most inconvenient way you could produce books meant for gameplay.

Right. They've not giving any real value for the LE codex. They're just banking that enough people are hardcore fans to buy it anyway just to have it. I loves me some Eldar, but I'd rather spend the $50 on more models than on a book that has nothing different about it. I'd feel silly every time I looked at it.

Deadlift
05-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Not worth it, extra £30 for a green cover ? **** that.

Kamin_Majere
05-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Yeah in all honesty my special edition codex (we'll call it the K_M Special Edition) has a limited run of just one copy and will still be less than the GW limited edition

It will include such features as
Spiral Binding
Hard cover with the Eldar Soul Drinker Rune (my personal favorite rune)
Extra Pages printed on High quality gloss paper to include: Quick Reference Points chart, Quick Reference Special Rules Section, and any other quick steps I can figure out so I don't have to flip back and forth in the book a hundred times

All of this can be yours too for the special cost of buying the normal book and then taking it to a print shop with some word print outs of what you want the extra pages to contain, and paying them to professionally print the extra pages and spiral bind the book
:p

eldargal
05-25-2013, 02:30 AM
I bought the LE Eldar codex 'cos it's pretty. So unless it arrives with the cover scraped off it will be worth it to me.

Houghten
05-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I couldn't resist either in the end, even though I don't play 'em and after what happened to my Tau codex...

I start to wonder if I might have a problem.

Uncle Nutsy
05-25-2013, 02:11 PM

Well, I don't know about that.

Nothing says 'your behaviour is unacceptable' like a good hard WHACK on the table delivered by hardcover. :)

Cpt Codpiece
05-25-2013, 04:23 PM
i know its been mentioned, but people are forgetting the gilt edging on the pages.

yes it is not gold leaf (old school!), but still a nice touch to add a little more durability to the pages.
they are supposed to be better quality paper and stuff too.