PDA

View Full Version : Arjac / Grimnar's Champion

VulkansApprentice
11-04-2009, 04:48 PM
One wording choice I noticed that was rather interesting. (No, I do not want to open another
chapter of whether the TH shooting attack affects initiative or not) This is regarding
the wording for Grimnar's Champion.

"Despite his modesty, not even Arjac can deny that he has a rare gift for crushing the
mightiest of foes. Arjac must allocate his attacks towards an IC if possible.

Such is his skill at duelling that Arjac may re-roll all failed rolls To Hit against
an enemy with the IC/MC rule."

While the first section does not specifically mention CC (outside the fluff statements),
it states he must "direct his attacks" at IC. By "direct his attacks" this is clearly
regarding CC, however, since shots are not considered attacks.

But the second section is what interests me. For one, if it was directly connected to the prior statement I don't think they would have started a new paragraph. Again, aside from the fluff statement about "skill at duelling", it simply says re-roll To Hit, not starting with "in close combat" like Wolftooth Necklace.

Does this mean he can re-roll his Foehammer shot at MC/IC? Given, an IC is rarely a valid
shooting target, and he only needs 2+, but I and everyone else have had plenty of instances
of rolling a 1 on 2+. A re-roll of a S10 AP1 shot on a MC can be a big deal.

Culven
11-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Assuming that your rule quote is accurate, it would appear that by RaW, he could re-roll to hits when shooting against MCs and ICs who foolishly roam about the battlefield by themselves.

Purple
11-04-2009, 06:40 PM
i'd have to agree that Arjac has to target IC/MC and gets a reroll to hit though i think RAI may jsut be in close combat

DarkLink
11-04-2009, 07:35 PM
He doesn't have to target IC/MCs (it says allocate attacks, not "must always target", so it only applies during CC), but it seems you are correct about the reroll to hit when "shooting".

Purple
11-04-2009, 07:45 PM
He doesn't have to target IC/MCs (it says allocate attacks, not "must always target", so it only applies during CC), but it seems you are correct about the reroll to hit when "shooting".

Is there a difference when it says allocate attacks, not "must always target" Arjac must allocate all his shooting attacks against IC/MCs

Culven
11-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Allocating attacks can only occour in close combat. Thus, the implication is that his attacks must be allocated to them; though, if the MC were in a unit (such as a Tomb Spider or Hive Tyrant with Bodyguard), it still wouldn't matter. In addition, one cannot allocate shooting against a unit to a particular model within that unit, so the rule wouldn't work even if it applied to shooting. The only way that your claim that shooting must be directed toward IC/MCs would work would be if he was required to target IC and MC units. The rules don't actually refer to shooting, so we are again left with allocating attacks, which is done in combat.

BuFFo
11-04-2009, 11:40 PM
"Such is his skill at DUELING that Arjac may re-roll all failed rolls To Hit against
an enemy with the IC/MC rule."

There is your magic word... Its in close combat only.

DarkLink
11-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Is there a difference when it says allocate attacks, not "must always target" Arjac must allocate all his shooting attacks against IC/MCs

You don't "allocate attacks" during the shooting phase. You just shoot a target. The only time you "allocate" is during CC.

And Buffo, you never know if Arjac's dueling style opens with him throwing his hammer in his opponent's face, crushing the life out of his opponent before he gets to attack back;).

BuFFo
11-05-2009, 12:40 AM
We all know what Dueling means.

Don't pretend its for shooting.

This isn't 1750's America, and I don't see Arjac and his IC/MC opponent walking away from each other for 20 paces .... :)

I know you are just messing with me :)

AirHorse
11-05-2009, 06:43 AM
It might say dueling but that doesnt actually restrict his reroll to hit because it doesnt hold any limitations on the next part of the sentence. I dont think this is too huge a deal overall anyway, but as its written he should get that reroll for his thunderhammer to face attack as well.

PhoenixFlame
11-05-2009, 06:57 AM
We all know what Dueling means.

Don't pretend its for shooting.

This isn't 1750's America, and I don't see Arjac and his IC/MC opponent walking away from each other for 20 paces .... :)

I know you are just messing with me :)

That would be cool tho eh? ;) Seeing Arjac and a Bloodthirster counting off paces before ripping into each other at range ... they both can have ranged attacks after all :rolleyes:

VulkansApprentice
11-06-2009, 09:45 AM
That would be cool tho eh? ;) Seeing Arjac and a Bloodthirster counting off paces before ripping into each other at range ... they both can have ranged attacks after all :rolleyes:

Yes it would, but unfortunatelythe bloodthirster would be flying/running away because that's what Khorne told him to do if they ever met. Khorne checks under his bed for Arjac. :D
(Sorry, another thread I started turned into Arjac as Chuck Norris for 3 pages, couldn't resist)