PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Marine Raptors and Lord

Eberk
05-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm was busy scribbling down some characters/units to expand my army. I came upon this nice unit and lord configuration but... (and here it comes) find it rather point consuming for a 1500 point army.

It's not for a tournament army, so it doesn't need to be 'perfect' in point allocation but on the other hand I don't want to spend an absurd amount of points on things that don't go together (like an expensive melee weapon for a devastator sergeant and things like that)

So here goes...

-Chaos Lord with Jump Pack, 2 Lightning Claws, Aura of Dark Glory & VotLW

-8 Raptors with Meltagun, Flamer, Plasma pistol, champion with power sword & melta bombs and VotLW

This amounts to a little bit more than 340 points
(PS: I don't want Marks for this unit/lord, so please don't mention them as 'need to have')

Is this to much for a 1500pts army, are there options that are not worth their points ? or... (and this would surprise me :) ) is this a great unit/lord configuration.

Thoughts, comments, ...

DWest
05-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Looks like a decent start, but couple of recommendations:
-Drop Vet from the Raptors themselves. You don't need the Ld buff with the Lord being Fearless (and if he gets creamed, the Raptors are probably in trouble in CC anyway), and the Hatred buff on non-powered weapons won't do a lot either.
-Drop the plasma pistol and go double Melta to open transports so you can maul the guys inside.
-Go with Sigil of Corruption on the Lord, it's 10 more points for 4++, and since he's the only invuln in the squad, it will definitely earn its' keep.

I know you don't want to use Marks, but I would still suggest considering Mark of Slannesh on the Lord, because that bumps him up to I6, which attacks first vs. a lot of scary units.

GrauGeist
05-21-2013, 02:42 PM
I have fielded Veteran Lord of Khorne with the JP & Axe, backing dual-flamer Raptors of Slaanesh with PW. The Khornate Daemon Weapon is pure gold against MEQ infantry, and I5 Raptors are amazing.

Not taking marks is a mistake, but if you don't care, that's fine, too.

Demonus
05-21-2013, 03:40 PM
So not in the same unit, just acting as a sort of baby sitter, joining same combats and such from 3" away?

Eberk
05-22-2013, 12:28 AM
Strange that every Chaos Marine conversation includes lots of tactics with the different marks or even combinations between them. It seems there are no more 'markless' chaos armies around anymore.

Anyway. This unit and lord are Iron Warriors so fluffwise I don't want a mark (it's no mistake, it is a deliberate choice ;) )

-double melta was something I had considered but dropped in favor of a flamer (to make them more all round). but double melta is something I am going to consider.

-plasma pistol was indeed something that was bugging me. There are 3 plasma pistols included in the raptor box so I took one... but am going to drop it

-sigil or aura will be decided based upon how many points I have left (there are other units i'm looking at for the expansion to 1500pts ;-) )

@demonus: I don't really understand your reply. could you please explain a bit more ?

Thanks for all the input so far.

GrauGeist
05-22-2013, 02:05 AM
The current Chaos book really does not encourage unmarked armies, compared to prior editions. No Chaos Undivided, no unmarked Daemon Princes.

It would have been helpful to have noted Iron Warriors for Fluff reasons in the first post... ;)

If you're going Iron Warriors then you should let Fluff guide you toward Veterans, etc.

Good luck!

Denzark
05-22-2013, 02:39 AM
I see what you are doing with fluff so approve of your motive for not marking. Howevr, some fluff considerations - Jump Assault troops doesn't seem very Iron Warriors to me. The marks could be looked at as not him worshipping a given god (although I am not aware of anything that says never, ever in 10000 years since the heresy did any of the Iron Warriors legion of tens of thousands, worship the Chaos Gods) but the fact he is very rage-ey (MoK) very quick with his weapons (MoS) or very toguh (MoN).

Also be aware that a jump lord is very vulnerable to ID.

I agree go double melta.

Hope this works out,

Anggul
05-22-2013, 04:19 AM
I have fielded Veteran Lord of Khorne with the JP & Axe, backing dual-flamer Raptors of Slaanesh with PW. The Khornate Daemon Weapon is pure gold against MEQ infantry, and I5 Raptors are amazing.

Not taking marks is a mistake, but if you don't care, that's fine, too.

An IC can't join a unit with a different mark from the one he has.

Eberk
05-22-2013, 04:44 AM
Jump Assault troops doesn't seem very Iron Warriors to me.

I'm currently reading the Siege of Castellax and there are at least 2 Iron Warrior Raptor squads with Captains.

And according to the Iron Warriors fluff in the Index Astartes:
"This had an unfortunate effect on the character of their Legion. By their nature, sieges are the most grinding and demoralising type of warfare: long periods of tedium and unspectacular labour, broken by episodes of merciless, close-quarters brutality. The Iron Warriors saw the storming of the breach as an escape from the tedium, and developed into ferocious close quarters fighters. They even came to prefer for enemy strongholds not to surrender, thus justifying the slaughter of everyone within once the fortresses were taken."

Probably a side of the Iron warriors not many people know off ;-)

The marks could be looked at as not him worshipping a given god (although I am not aware of anything that says never, ever in 10000 years since the heresy did any of the Iron Warriors legion of tens of thousands, worship the Chaos Gods) but the fact he is very rage-ey (MoK) very quick with his weapons (MoS) or very toguh (MoN).

Granted... and you could describe it like that but still I don't want to use marks on this unit. ;-)

Double melta it will be... but are the melta bombs needed then ??

GrauGeist
05-22-2013, 11:51 AM
An IC can't join a unit with a different mark from the one he has.

MoK Lord doesn't have to join, he simply needs to simul-assault the same target as the MoS Raptors.