PDA

View Full Version : Codex Supplements, the future ?

Deadlift
05-19-2013, 11:05 AM
So for those who have seen the leaked pictures of GWs next release "Eldar" you can't help but notice the additional supplement for Iyanden. I personally hope this is a new trend for that we will see more of in the future, with the endless possibilities I think GW have hit on something big here.

As an example, could the Black Templars have a supplement with the release of the next Space Marines codex, Maybe Iron Hands as they differ in many ways than a normal chapter. Orks maybe a proper speed freak supplement. Blood Angels, maybe a proper brutal Flesh Tearers supplement. Maybe this is where the future of Kroot is hiding, in a Tau supplement.

The possibilities are endless and don't have to mean just one supplement per codex either. I am sure you guys have plenty of ideas for a codex supplement for your own favourite armies.
Go on have some fun and share your "wish list" or predictions for future codex supplements. You never know GW may have eyes and ears listening.

Over to you BoLs chums.

Mr Mystery
05-19-2013, 11:14 AM
They will follow demand I'd imagine.

Though in 3rd Ed they got roundly slagged off for doing appendex's (appendex, my word. I made it up. Just now. You're welcome)....

Guess it means they can really concentrate on balancing the main force, and then worry about restructuring for specific background separately.

Bitrider
05-19-2013, 11:21 AM
It comes down to price vs. content for me. Look at the Sisters update in WD. Would you have paid more than the price of the WD for that content?

Deadlift
05-19-2013, 11:29 AM
It comes down to price vs. content for me. Look at the Sisters update in WD. Would you have paid more than the price of the WD for that content?

Forget about GW and prices for the moment :) what supplement would you like to see for your army ?

How many times have people on here said they wish the marine codex were condensed. Maybe this is the answer ? Buy the main codex and then choose your supplement. It would give much more longevity to each codex release and would it actually cheaper to update. Supplements could be made for Dark Angels, Space Wolves and Blood Angels as examples. You would buy your main codex and add your chosen supplement for the flavour you want. It could easily be a way for GW keep armies up to date more frequently. And for the xeno players maybe you see more emphasise on your armies as not every other release would have to be marines.

Mr Mystery
05-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Just a though from my Brians.....

Could this be the reason for the frankly break neck pace of Codex releases in 6th?

Work on the overall core of the army/race, then as and when, and with no real necessity to do all variants, pop out an Appendex (there's that word again!) to refresh or give more toys!

matgc
05-19-2013, 11:51 AM
Just a though from my Brians.....

Could this be the reason for the frankly break neck pace of Codex releases in 6th?

Work on the overall core of the army/race, then as and when, and with no real necessity to do all variants, pop out an Appendex (there's that word again!) to refresh or give more toys!

But then again, why would they have released the DA before the new Space Marines? Though it would be a great idea, I don`t see GW going with base codexes + supplements for all armies.

Mr Mystery
05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Will depend upon how much they deviate from template.

DA are not just dark green marines. They have enough oddities and variance where an Appendex (this will become common vernacular!) would be a disservice. Black Templars? Not so much. At least at present, who knows what we'll see in the future.

Besides, it doesn't necessarily all variants will be have to be Appendex's. Some may still really require a separate Codex overall.

Denzark
05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
SW, DA, BA - too big for supplement. BT, IH, RG, IF - could be done. The Smurfs are Codex Astartes. oh yeah - Black Templar players - all 5 of you -don't rant at me - we already have a thread where I have shown you have some 5 or so different units on the table tp, to the space wolves 15+. This low number of variance units is why you don't merit a codex (I would be pleased for you if you got one though, I'm not all bad.)

spaceman91
05-19-2013, 12:25 PM
SW, DA, BA - too big for supplement. BT, IH, RG, IF - could be done. The Smurfs are Codex Astartes. oh yeah - Black Templar players - all 5 of you -don't rant at me - we already have a thread where I have shown you have some 5 or so different units on the table tp, to the space wolves 15+. This low number of variance units is why you don't merit a codex (I would be pleased for you if you got one though, I'm not all bad.)

i agree completely. This is how the SM's need to be done.

energongoodie
05-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Maybe Iron Hands as they differ in many ways than a normal chapter.

Hallelujah Bols chum! :)

OrksOrksOrks
05-19-2013, 01:23 PM
I think you're reading too much into that that supplement is, its a set of history and stories about a specific faction, doesn't say that it contains anything rules wise apart from scenarios, looks more like the Heraldry books for Fantasy Battle

Deadlift
05-19-2013, 01:27 PM
I think you're reading too much into that that supplement is, its a set of history and stories about a specific faction, doesn't say that it contains anything rules wise apart from scenarios, looks more like the Heraldry books for Fantasy Battle

True, you could be right. But one supplement just on the history of Iyanden, when they have the chance to sell new walker toys in quantity ?
And it does say additional rules.

Koremu
05-19-2013, 02:53 PM
I think I prefer supplemental Codices to "you only get Chapter Tactic with this one guy, who is over-costed"

miteyheroes
05-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Third Ed did this. I think it worked well. BA, DA, etc were thin little supplements to the main Marine Dex. There was an "Eldar Craftworlds" supplement to the main Eldar dex as well, giving each of the big craftworlds a unique unit and a change in FOC layout.

oni
05-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Seems like a gimmick to me. It's potentially an easy way for GW to include less content in the codex and then sell you a supplement.

Codex $50.00 + Supplement $30.00 = "better than selling you just a $50.00 codex"

sangrail777
05-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Well I think it will finally be a chance to do a supplement for all the chaos legions.
Commander Farsight Enclave supplement
Flesh Tearer Supplement
Death Watch Supplement

just to name a few cool ideas

spaceman91
05-20-2013, 02:42 AM
I still have the old catachan book upstairs. I would like to see something like that for the SM's. All those little chapters could be done. I do think it would have to be direct only though. I have talked to my local manager lots of time about more codex(s) on the shelve and he has told me that GW are happy with the amount on the shelf.

OrksOrksOrks
05-20-2013, 05:54 AM
The old suplementry codexs were stopped because people wanted more fluff and the supplements only had about 4 pages of it, they were terrible, I still have most of them here.

bfmusashi
05-20-2013, 06:38 AM
It sounds like it's more in line with the book that had rules for fighting in a wych arena and what not. I'm kind of curious what they'll have in there.

eldargal
05-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Seems like a gimmick to me. It's potentially an easy way for GW to include less content in the codex and then sell you a supplement.

Codex $50.00 + Supplement $30.00 = "better than selling you just a $50.00 codex"
No. The codex stays the same, same number of pages, same amount of content. Then you get the supplement.

They can't be any worse than the 3rd edition supplements an with any luck they may be considerably better. GW are doing well with 6th books so far, let's hope they put a decent amount of effort into the mini-books.

olberon
05-20-2013, 06:42 AM
dont forget there is a good chance the supplements will be ipad only ..........

Kirsten
05-20-2013, 06:43 AM
I think the supplement book is very exciting personally. I shall be curious to see how large it is, I am surprised it is just Iyanden and not like the old craftworld supplement, but it is still a fantastic opportunity and bodes very well for the future.

DrLove42
05-20-2013, 06:45 AM
dont forget there is a good chance the supplements will be ipad only ..........

This is what worries me. I don't have an iPad have no intention of getting one anytime soon (nor can afford it) but I want this content

Kirsten
05-20-2013, 06:50 AM
is there any actual evidence it will be ipad only? I would find that unlikely

eldargal
05-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Nope, only that it is pictured on the Digital Products page of White Dwarf. As is the codex. But as we know the codex will be getting a print copy people are just ignoring that and assuming the supplement will be digital only. Of course we have no evidence that it won't be iPad only either.

Mr Mystery
05-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Purely anecdotal at the moment....

Direct Only? Yes, that I can see. But Digital Only? Not convinced.

Deadlift
05-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Yep, I think GW are doing fantastic things with 40k at the moment. No rumours about these supplements either so this has me pleasantly surprised. Unless this is where the rumours of the "mini allies codex" sprang from ?
Either way I'm really enjoying my hobby and surprises like this keep sparking my interest.

Mr Mystery
05-20-2013, 07:15 AM
I'd agree with that.

And yeah, odd that this wasn't directly rumoured.

Denzark
05-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Did we not hear 'Lost and damned minidex, Stealer Cult minidex' or is my imagination just wishlisting? I thought when I saw Iyanden, that this might be the tip of the iceberg of what we were talking about a while back, but i might have made it up.

bfmusashi
05-20-2013, 07:33 AM
I can not be the only one hoping the scenarios include rules for fighting on a craftworld. It's an enclosed artificial environment one faction has absolute control over. Everything's on the table!

Mr Mystery
05-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Did we not hear 'Lost and damned minidex, Stealer Cult minidex' or is my imagination just wishlisting? I thought when I saw Iyanden, that this might be the tip of the iceberg of what we were talking about a while back, but i might have made it up.

Think I've heard that as well. Or it could be rumours from years ago!

Asymmetrical Xeno
05-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Really like the idea myself, and more backround is always good - if theres a physical version I may even get it as I have always been curious about Iyanden. Would love something like this for one of the Necron Dynasties especially.

Charistoph
05-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Space Wolves is probably correct, too much is moved around stat-wise, but the unique units wouldn't take much. Templars... would seem a lot like the Armageddon book, but a lot really depends on how they did the next Codex: Space Marines.

But the Angels too big? Seriously? They have a few unique units, but otherwise, most of their codices could easily be copied and pasted from Codex: Smurfs (or vice versa).

Wildeybeast
05-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Purely anecdotal at the moment....

Direct Only? Yes, that I can see. But Digital Only? Not convinced.

I can. BL have been doing a few single format releases for a while, specifically digital ones like ebooks and MP3's. In fact they released one only today (Wolf Hunt).

Dalleron
05-20-2013, 03:55 PM
I would support the idea of supplements for specific chapters. A supplement wouldn't be too big to carry around. You wouldn't the big Codex space marine either as pretty much everyone knows what SM gear does what. I'd venture that even SW could be made into a supplement and still work.

But I really don' see GW taking away anyone's codex now. It would be liking admitting a mistake of sorts.

Deadlift
05-20-2013, 04:09 PM
I can. BL have been doing a few single format releases for a while, specifically digital ones like ebooks and MP3's. In fact they released one only today (Wolf Hunt).

Whilst the price list recently posted on the wraithknight thread points to a hard back version of the supplement being available, I am a little shocked to see its the same price as the main codex.

jgebi
05-20-2013, 04:30 PM
this week is the best one of my life so far :D now for what I want... I think I'll make a list
1. Ordo malleus
2. Ordo Xenos
3. Ordo hereticus
4. Sisters of battle, now as much as I want a full dex it just couldn't happen
5. death watch
6. Iron Hands
7. one for the necrons, theirs so much potential their so I'd be happy with about 1000 pages
8. Nids, rules for their human counter parts
9. space orks/ ork pirates. it's the same thing
10.The allies of the tau empire, so kroot and humans ect
11.the tainith first and only, and some other smaller armies
12. A book on special requisitions for the guard, so you take some special chick and your whole army could take chainswords or something the such
13. primitive eldar, and some other craft worlds that aren't so well known
14. night lords, alpha legion, iron warriors, thousand sons
15. Mechanicum, but this might be better as a dex release
16. grey knights, ***** all you want but if you took out the inquistors what would you have?

I could go on but I think I might stop here

Sainhann
05-20-2013, 07:21 PM
So for those who have seen the leaked pictures of GWs next release "Eldar" you can't help but notice the additional supplement for Iyanden. I personally hope this is a new trend for that we will see more of in the future, with the endless possibilities I think GW have hit on something big here.

Not at the same cost of the main Codex.

The new Eldar Codex is $50+, the additional Iyanden Codex another $50+.

Yeah GW hit on something alright another way to get money from their Fanboyz.

I didn't buy the Dark Angels Codez because of it price and I am not likely to buy the Eldar one either.

They have raised the price to the level that I am not willing to pay.

eldargal
05-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Yep, physical Iyaden supplement confirmed. No page count yet. Codex price better equal codex size as far as I'm concerned. Before all the usual whiners chime in with 'this is GW' the smaller WFB heraldry supplements )72p) are 33% cheaper than the army books. So same price implies simiilar/same size.

jgebi
05-21-2013, 03:59 AM
they might do a deal so you get both for like 10% cheaper, who am I kidding they'd never do that

Wolfshade
05-21-2013, 04:10 AM
I am very interested to see how this supplement works out. I recall the hideous Codex Blood Angels from 3rd ed, with was a codex space marine add-on. Or near as damn it. Certainly, it was much cheaper than the parent codex, so what I am hoping is, as has been mentioned, that the similiar price means similiar size.

As for the price, yes it is a bit of money, but then when you consider that you use it every game, and quite often either side of that, using it to read, plan lists, check rules etc. the price per use comes way down.

A congent paradigm would be that the codex/rulebook is a console/pc/whichever and the units are games/software etc.

If you buy console X for game Y it is crazy when you consider it in pure £££, but you don't, you buy console X for game Y and A though ZZ+.

Charistoph
05-21-2013, 09:55 AM
A congent paradigm would be that the codex/rulebook is a console/pc/whichever and the units are games/software etc.

If you buy console X for game Y it is crazy when you consider it in pure £££, but you don't, you buy console X for game Y and A though ZZ+.

Probably a better analogy is that the rulebook is the console, the codex is the game, and the supplement is the DLC (DownLoadable Content).