PDA

View Full Version : Tank Shock: compulsory move = "model has moved"?

Akkon Sek
11-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I’ve generally had good success tracking down answers to rules question by RTFM’ing, but I haven’t had any luck with this one. Either that, or it’s so esoteric that no one besides me even cares…

Does a model which has been ‘shortest distance’ moved due to Tank Shock count as having moved for purposes of firing (Heavy/Rapid Fire/etc)?

I imagine the only time this would apply would be if the Tank Shock-er were fortunate enough to have performed the act prior to his opponent’s shooting phase (in that turn)?

Is my inquiry completely nonsensical? Is this (admittedly, very specific) instance detailed somewhere and I simply missed it?

Thanks in Advance.

-A

(edit: if only I could have squeezed more parentheticals into this post...)

Aldramelech
11-03-2009, 01:29 PM
I would say no, as this takes place in your turn. They then move on to their turn, and providing they don't move in their movement phase, they haven't moved.

Akkon Sek
11-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Makes perfect sense, when you lay it out like that.

Damn you and your logic sir.

(Thanks!)

Parenthetical +1

Aldramelech
11-03-2009, 01:40 PM
No probs.

Vindur
11-04-2009, 03:29 AM
The rule book doesnt specifically mention the movement phase.
Can an ork vehicle rolling kareen! on the ramshackle chart move models? I personally cant remember, but if so that might be able to stop heavy weapons firing

Akkon Sek
11-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Nope. A Trukk which suffers a 'Kareen!' result stops one inch from enemy models (or terrain) if it encounters them.

Good thought though.

Interestingly enough, it was a Trukk that started this whole line of questioning. Tank Shock'd a Trukk full of 'Ard Boyz into a Multi-Melta to try to put it out of commission. Hence the whole "Hmm... he stepped out of the way. Does that he mean he's moved and cannot fire? I hope?! ".

-A

jason
11-04-2009, 10:03 AM
It should be noted that if you do force the enemy unit to move in their turn, somehow, then they count as having moved, regardless of how it came about.

DarkLink
11-04-2009, 11:20 AM
It should be noted that if you do force the enemy unit to move in their turn, somehow, then they count as having moved, regardless of how it came about.

I can't think of anything in the normal 40k that lets you force your opponent to move in his movement phase, though.

Aldramelech
11-04-2009, 11:22 AM

I'm not doubting your knowledge, but I haven't seen that, can you quote a page number?

Culven
11-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I don't recall such a rule either. The closest that I can think of are the rules which govern a player's own turn (Fall Back, Moving, planning to Assault, and so on). I also cannot think of any way to force an enemy unit to move during their turn, so the issue is merely hypothetical.

Nabterayl
11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm not doubting your knowledge, but I haven't seen that, can you quote a page number?

I think he's thinking of the following:

Page 28:

If the unit has not moved, models armed with rapid fire weapons may instead fire one shot at targets over 12" away, up to the weapons' maximum range.

Page 29:

If a unit moves then it cannot shoot heavy weapons - they either move or shoot, but not both.

Neither of these rules specify the Movement phase - they just say "moved." However, look at page 27:

All weapons are classified as either Rapid Fire, Pistol, Assault, Heavy or Ordnance. These rules (found overleaf) are a measure of the weapon's portability and affect the way it can be fired in relation to the model's movement during that turn's Movement phase (emphasis added).

So the rulebook does specifically mention the Movement phase, even though the way you get there is a little convoluted.

Duke
11-04-2009, 03:53 PM
@Nab - Spoken like a true Attorney. Case closed, you can shoot.

Duke

Aldramelech
11-04-2009, 05:04 PM
I think he's thinking of the following:

Page 28:

If the unit has not moved, models armed with rapid fire weapons may instead fire one shot at targets over 12" away, up to the weapons' maximum range.

Page 29:

If a unit moves then it cannot shoot heavy weapons - they either move or shoot, but not both.

Neither of these rules specify the Movement phase - they just say "moved." However, look at page 27:

All weapons are classified as either Rapid Fire, Pistol, Assault, Heavy or Ordnance. These rules (found overleaf) are a measure of the weapon's portability and affect the way it can be fired in relation to the model's movement during that turn's Movement phase (emphasis added).

So the rulebook does specifically mention the Movement phase, even though the way you get there is a little convoluted.

Good skills, thanks for that.

lobster-overlord
11-04-2009, 09:11 PM
I can't think of anything in the normal 40k that lets you force your opponent to move in his movement phase, though.

=I= vs Blood Angels. Use a Vindicare to Kill the Chaplain that is attached to Death Company. The DC then has to move in their next movement phase towards the nearest enemy.

No directly related to the thread, but it provides you with a thought to go over...

Culven
11-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I can see your point, but it is a slightly different situation. In your example, it is the unit special rule which requires movement, not direct intervention by the opposing player. Not that it matters, Death company can't have any heavy weapons, so forcing them to move in order to prevent the heavy weapons from firing isn't really an issue.