PDA

View Full Version : Forge World kits???

rusty84
05-14-2013, 03:16 AM
Hey guys,

i'm currently working on a Chimera to carry my Inquisitor and his retinue. I've gone for the classic black and red colour scheme and am toying with the idea of investing in the Inquisition doors and symbols kits from Forgeworld.
I was just wondering what the general opinion on these kits is, are they worth it to enhance the model or just an expensive indulgence?

Cheers

Mr Mystery
05-14-2013, 03:21 AM
That's about the most subjectively subjective question!

I like them. Forgeworld stuff is there to be primarily pretty, rather than functional.

If your budget can stretch, then I saw why the devil not? But if not, do without.

Wolfshade
05-14-2013, 03:24 AM
I have had the exact debate myself.
I do love the kits and I think that they give the models that extra little "pow" and stand out.

My current thinking is limiting the usage of such things to highlight special vehicles, like HQ's transport, or Platoon Command Squads. etc.

rusty84
05-14-2013, 03:36 AM
Yeah, good points and not a bad plan to just use them on HQ vehicles etc
To be honest the only Forgeworld kit i have to date is the Chaplain Dreadnought which is an awesome stand alone model! The rest of my army so far (apart from the above) is all standard GW kits and I dont want there to be an obvious inbalance between them and FW enhanced models, so the HQ call is a good one, and I suppose an Inquisitor isnt going to be driving round in a guard issue Chimera!

Wolfshade
05-14-2013, 03:41 AM
My only forgeworld is Hector Rex, which a friend brought me when I invited her round for dinner. I should do that more often...

Brakkart
05-14-2013, 03:46 AM
I bought Forge World Imperial Fist Rhino doors and used them on my Razorbacks to help set them more apart from bulk standard Rhino's. They are very good quality and really do improve the look of the models considerably.

Word of warning, if you are ordering Land Raider doors, be sure you get the right ones as they come in regular and MkIIb variety and while the Assault Ramp door will fit either type of Raider, the side doors of the MkIIb sort are too small to fit a regular Raider's door slots. I made that mistake!

Psychosplodge
05-14-2013, 03:50 AM
They certainly add more than a transfer ever will...

jgebi
05-14-2013, 04:15 AM
I like to pimp out my HQ stuff just because it is a HQ and I like them as they normally are a ***** to kill and did I mention they are a HQ

Mr.Pickelz
05-14-2013, 08:14 AM
I use FW on my Land Raiders for my GK's as well as the Dreadnoughts because the way the look, is more (in my opinion) awesome then GW's dreads in GK color scheme.
The one thing i do regret ordering though is the Psycannon vehicle upgrade, its just the two cannons and not a complete turret.

lobster-overlord
05-14-2013, 09:08 AM
an expensive indulgence?

Doesn't that sum up the entire GW line as well?

Mr Mystery
05-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Kind of applies to all hobbies skip.

Denzark
05-14-2013, 11:59 AM
My only forgeworld is Hector Rex, which a friend brought me when I invited her round for dinner. I should do that more often...

Christ Wolfie that's not normally what is expected for a good dinner...

pgarfunkle
05-14-2013, 02:18 PM
I got the Blood Angels and Death Company Rhino doors, great for making units stand out. It does tend to turn them into fire magnets however

gensu11
05-14-2013, 03:36 PM
I have kitted out four Chimeras with the forgeworld doors and emblems. I have found the back ramp to be an awesome addition to the Chimera, totally worth it. On the other hand, the little Inquisitor symbols meant for the Chimera sides are too bulky in my opinion, they aren't as flat as I wish they were. That being said, if you budget can handle it, I think the best upgrades for the Chimera would be the forgeworld back ramp, and then etched brass emblems for the sides and top of the vehicle.

nathaneal246
05-14-2013, 04:07 PM
I highly rate FW and think the stuff ive purchased from them has improved the look of my SW, IG and NL armies and im intending on using some of the kits in my BT army I am currently working on. Only problem I have experienced is some of the items can be a bit pants where the mould hasn't worked properly but FW usually replace without question! I think if you care how your army looks and want to improve it FW would be the answer your looking for!

Wolfshade
05-15-2013, 01:47 AM
Blimey Wolfie that's not normally what is expected for a good dinner...

There was also wine and chocolates. Apparently, she contemplated getting a GK Dreadnought but didn't know which options I would like.

I think her gifts cost more than the meal did, suffice to say I was suitably embarrased.

Defenestratus
05-15-2013, 06:38 AM
Almost all of my blood angels vehicles have the FW doors. My Storm Ravens use the rhino doors when they're not sporting 'cane bolters.

rusty84
05-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the input guys, I have placed my order with Forgeworld and am looking forward to seeing how the Chimera looks once its finished!