PDA

View Full Version : need recomnedation for airbrush paint

Grenndal
05-13-2013, 07:06 AM
I have peen painting up my suits and infantry up but now I need to paint my vehicles. Usually I can find a matching color in army painter but no one makes an orange spray paint. The one I found at my hobby shop turned out to light and doesn't match the rest of my army. I have thought about getting into airbrushing my guys but before I start sinking money into that is there a matching airbrush paint to the old citadel macharius solar orange.

I am sorry if this is not the right place for the question but I didn't see a painting forum. the only one I saw was for finished work.

Thanks for your help.

Mr Mystery
05-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Solved simply with the GW Spray Gun. Uses exactly the same paint as a brush job. Cheap and cheerful too.

OrksOrksOrks
05-13-2013, 08:35 AM
Citadel paints when thinned work very well through an airbrush, I like to use Tamiya x-20A thinner and water, 1 part thinner to 4 parts water to 5 parts paint, depends on the pressure you like to use in the airbrush though.

The spray gun is great for batch undercoating models, but, for the price of the cans of compressed air, you're better off buying a compressor with a tank and a couple of cheap airbrushes, you'll be saving money within a year easily! a £75 from ebay will allow you to do everything the spray gun can do an a whole, whole lot more. An airbrush is probably the second best time-saving investment you can make for painting (after a hair dryer)

Defenestratus
05-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Ugh

Citadel paints through an airbrush are horrible... simply heinous.

If you're using a nice quality dual-action airbrush then you need to be using the right paint for it. If you're using citadel paint, don't use water to thin it out, and don't use windex. Go get some acrylic thinner that is purpose made to thin your paint yet dry quickly.

As for what kind of paint to get, The Badger Miniature line of paints is the best.
http://www.spikeybits.com/servlet/the-Badger-Airbrushes-%26-Paints-cln-Minitaire-Airbrush-Paints/Categories

blakbuzzrd
05-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Ugh

As for what kind of paint to get, The Badger Miniature line of paints is the best.

I recently picked up a set of these; I'm having trouble figuring out a good thinning ratio. I tried straight out of the bottle, as I had been given to understand the Minitaire paints were airbrush-ready. That did not work.

How do you thin yours (if you do)?

Iceman
05-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm with OrksOrksOrks. Citadel paint (in fact virtually any decent paint, Tamiya, Vallejo, etc.) have worked fine through an airbrush for the 10 years I've been using them.

Mr Mystery
05-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Also, get your kit right!!!

Citadel Spray Gun isn't an airbrush. It's a base coating tool, nothing more. Main advantage is that it holds a decent amount of paint. Ace in the right situation, predominantly basecoating large models, or large groups of models. Anything else? Yeah not so much!

OrksOrksOrks
05-13-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm with OrksOrksOrks. Citadel paint (in fact virtually any decent paint, Tamiya, Vallejo, etc.) have worked fine through an airbrush for the 10 years I've been using them.

Yup, this, when you thin properly, almost any paint made for the hobby will go through fine, just need to keep everything clean. Hell if you're careful craft acrylics will go through too