PDA

View Full Version : Locator Beacon on a Storm Raven

Camael
05-12-2013, 06:36 AM
So, the Storm Raven rules say when diembarking I deploy via deepstrike. Does this mean that if I put a locator beacon on the SR I won't scatter?

Caitsidhe
05-12-2013, 07:38 AM
So, the Storm Raven rules say when diembarking I deploy via deepstrike. Does this mean that if I put a locator beacon on the SR I won't scatter?

I don't have your book, but that would seem to make perfect sense to me. :D

Tynskel
05-12-2013, 08:12 AM
as long as you are in range.

Caitsidhe
05-12-2013, 08:28 AM
as long as you are in range.

Of course he is in range... he is talking about jumping out of the Storm Raven itself. I think, in that light, the purchase of a Homing Beacon for the SR is almost a mandatory buy.

Defenestratus
05-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Of course he is in range... he is talking about jumping out of the Storm Raven itself. I think, in that light, the purchase of a Homing Beacon for the SR is almost a mandatory buy.

I don't see why not.

The next question is, can vanguard vets use heroic intervention to assault after this?

I don't have the codex handy but if it says "when the unit arrives via deepstrike" or some such thing then I wouldn't see why they couldn't.

(This could also be old hat rules discussion)

DWest
05-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Only downside is the Beacon has to be on the table from the beginning of the turn, so you can't use the Raven's beacon the turn it flies on.

Tynskel
05-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Not always. You can jump out along the path of the stormraven, but you would only benefit from the locator beacon if you jump out within 6" of the Stormraven.

as for vanguard: no. The vanguard may not assault after jumping out of a stormraven. it isn't 'high' enough...

Tynskel
05-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Not always. You can jump out along the path of the stormraven, but you would only benefit from the locator beacon if you jump out within 6" of the Stormraven.

as for vanguard: no. The vanguard may not assault after jumping out of a stormraven. it isn't 'high' enough...

Nabterayl
05-12-2013, 10:46 AM
That is to say, Heroic Intervention requires that the squad "arrives from deep strike," and Skies of Fury is different from deep strike, even though it shares some deep strike-like aspects. Also, it says, "Models that disembark using the Skies of Fury special rule cannot charge in the turn that they do so."

Tynskel
05-12-2013, 10:51 AM
I wish Heroic Intervention just allowed you to deepstrike onto your opponent. I have just always viewed it as the guys landing on their opponents. Or at least grant Impact Hits and Fleet that round.

Magpie
05-12-2013, 03:33 PM
That is to say, Heroic Intervention requires that the squad "arrives from deep strike," and Skies of Fury is different from deep strike

I'd go with that, the operative word being "from" indicating Deep Strike Reserve to me, rather than "via" which would point towards any method that uses the Deep Strike rules.

Just as an aside, can the GK Stormraven take a Locator Beacon?
The DftS rules seem to say they can but the GK Codex has no rules for the Locator Beacon.

Tynskel
05-12-2013, 03:40 PM
I'd go with that, the operative word being "from" indicating Deep Strike Reserve to me, rather than "via" which would point towards any method that uses the Deep Strike rules.

Just as an aside, can the GK Stormraven take a Locator Beacon?
The DftS rules seem to say they can but the GK Codex has no rules for the Locator Beacon.

You are supposed to use the rules from Skies of Death. They have the same army list selections, except the Grey Knights states that they must: 1) the selection is Fast Attack, 2) Replace Stormstrike Missiles with Mindstrike Missiles, 3) They have Aegis, Psychic Pilot, and Fortitude for +5 Points. Additionally, they may take the options available in Grey Knights.

Magpie
05-12-2013, 03:54 PM
You are supposed to use the rules from Skies of Death. They have the same army list selections, except the Grey Knights states that they must: 1) the selection is Fast Attack, 2) Replace Stormstrike Missiles with Mindstrike Missiles, 3) They have Aegis, Psychic Pilot, and Fortitude for +5 Points. Additionally, they may take the options available in Grey Knights.

Are the rules for the Locator Beacon in DftS ? I couldn't find them anywhere but then again I only had a quick flick through a shop copy.

Tynskel
05-12-2013, 03:56 PM
they are in my iPad copy.

Magpie
05-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Hmmm in the DftS book it just refers you to "the rulebook or the relevant Codex" which is my concern, given that the relevant Codex for GK doesn't have the locator beacon in it.

Tynskel
05-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I guess the relevant codex in this case would be Space Marines or Blood Angels.