PDA

View Full Version : The Sigillite audio drama

Jmaximum
05-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Just arrived in the mail two days ago.
Was really excited to give it a listen...

******************************************SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS****************************************** ************************************************** **

First and foremost, I'm glad it was on sale, and that I didn't pay full price.

It's way shorter than any of the Garro dramas, only lasting 9 tracks, just a few minutes over a hour long.
And it really does not push the Heresy story further, other than giving an insight into "A Day in the Life of Malcador".
There are some very, very thin references to the creation of the primarchs, but we know most of that from the books, and laughable (almost an afterthought) reference to II and XI.
There is also some discontinuity with the beliefs and ideals of the time: at the beginning of the heresy, little (if any at all) is known about souls, spirits, gods, etc. But Malcador uses this terminology rather frequently. Yeah, I get it, he's the Emp's right hand other guy, but one would think there was an edict on letting that information get out, and Malcador speaks of these things casually with a mere mortal.

I almost feel cheated by this audio drama, and the coer art is a complete and utter tease: Malcador sitting upon a throne (hinted at being the Golden Throne) with the armrests framed with two skulls: one marked with a II and one with XI. One would think this audio drama would have delved more into the fate of the II and XI legions. Sadly, that is not to be the case.

pgarfunkle
05-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Yeah I got it a while ago and while I enjoyed the story the artwork on the cover was a bit misleading. Having said that I think it's the supposed to be the start of a series of stories concerning Malcador so hopefully we will get some more depth to this.

inquisitormack
05-11-2013, 10:53 AM
I thought it interesting that the Sigillite refers to himself as a member of the Sigillites, as if "us" refers to a group or position similar to the Cyphers of DAs.

The idea of a greater war occurring beyond the doors to the Labyrinthine Dimension makes we wonder if the Black Library authors will ever deal with that in detail. While we know most of what the battle for Terra will entail, we know nothing about the secret war within the Webway.

Jmaximum
05-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Mack - I caught that too, that Malcador is just one of many in a greater order. Funny that we have never heard of any other Sigillites before.
I do like the scene where they are standing outside the entrance to the ORIGINAL primarch lab underneath the Palace.

And I THINK the battle sounds they hear coming from behind the Eternity Gate (the gate leading to the Emperor's Throne Room, I might have the name wrong), coincides with what happens in A Thousand Sons, where Magnus inadvertently destroys the barrier the Emp had erected over the webway/warp portal, and the sounds are the Emp's efforts to close it off again.

energongoodie
05-11-2013, 03:21 PM
And I THINK the battle sounds they hear coming from behind the Eternity Gate (the gate leading to the Emperor's Throne Room, I might have the name wrong), coincides with what happens in A Thousand Sons, where Magnus inadvertently destroys the barrier the Emp had erected over the webway/warp portal, and the sounds are the Emp's efforts to close it off again.

I believe aaron dembski-bowden's next book is concerned with the battle in the web way behind the eternity gate.

Jmaximum
05-12-2013, 05:13 AM
Freakin sweet!

Finally, the Emp will be front and center!

Bowman
06-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Au contraire: Based on previous novels, it seems to me the Big E will spend most of his time sitting moodily on the golden throne concentrating really hard on stopping an uncontrolled warp rifts from ripping the earth a new fundament, while a plucky, but until now unknown character ( probably a human soldier of some type) undertakes a vital mission to prevent the forces of chaos from carrying out a dastardly plan that would turn the battle against the Emperor. Along the way he encounters arrogant, but valiant Custodes, ( who are horribly massacred by Daemons, buying just enough time for the hero to escape), silent sisters of silence, (who kill lots of Daemons, but then have their anti psyker brains fried by mega Daemons, and die horribly, buying just enough time for the hero to escape to escape, some odd mechanicus folk, left over from the web way project, (who die horribly etc etc) before the hero dies horribly, but nobly, sacrificing himself to save the emperors cause.

And yes I will buy it.....

Jmaximum
06-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Au contraire: Based on previous novels, it seems to me the Big E will spend most of his time sitting moodily on the golden throne concentrating really hard on stopping an uncontrolled warp rifts from ripping the earth a new fundament, while a plucky, but until now unknown character ( probably a human soldier of some type) undertakes a vital mission to prevent the forces of chaos from carrying out a dastardly plan that would turn the battle against the Emperor. Along the way he encounters arrogant, but valiant Custodes, ( who are horribly massacred by Daemons, buying just enough time for the hero to escape), silent sisters of silence, (who kill lots of Daemons, but then have their anti psyker brains fried by mega Daemons, and die horribly, buying just enough time for the hero to escape to escape, some odd mechanicus folk, left over from the web way project, (who die horribly etc etc) before the hero dies horribly, but nobly, sacrificing himself to save the emperors cause.

And yes I will buy it.....

The Sigillite audio drama made it sound like the Emp was in the throne room himself, battling to close the warp rift that Magnus had torn open.
But I hear ya: heroes tend to die more often than not, and no matter what the story is, I, too, shall buy it with a smile.