PDA

View Full Version : 40K undead codex?

droozy
05-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Hello everybody, I had a quick question; is there an undead codex for undead armies in warhammer 40k? I saw a listing on Ebay for one but it turned out to be for fantasy. Still I googled it and found a link to a list of characters for an undead 40k army tho I wasn't able to verify it. Has anybody come across anything like this? If it does exist are there any thoughts on it? I'm thinking this is a case of mistaken identity with fantasy but I wanted to make sure. Thanks in advance

Mr Mystery
05-10-2013, 12:28 AM
Nope. Undead theme is covered by Necrons. Though plague zombies can be found in CSM armies that field Typhus.

ElectricPaladin
05-10-2013, 12:46 AM
The Tau had an undead codex, but then they updated us :p.

Charistoph
05-10-2013, 12:50 AM
The Tau had an undead codex, but then they updated us :p.

I thought that was Sisters...

ElectricPaladin
05-10-2013, 12:53 AM
I thought that was Sisters...

He's asking about undead codices. Not the bonafide dead ones.

droozy
05-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Thanks guys, thats what I thought. The link threw me for a loop. Here's the culprit, not sure what it's about; http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/psychox/udcodex.html

OrksOrksOrks
05-10-2013, 04:40 AM
that looks like a fan-made codex (normally called a fandex) for undead, and its for 2nd Edition 40K, if you want to play with undead in 40K, you can always bash your own fandex together and try it out with friends.

ElectricPaladin
05-10-2013, 07:29 AM
that looks like a fan-made codex (normally called a fandex) for undead, and its for 2nd Edition 40K, if you want to play with undead in 40K, you can always bash your own fandex together and try it out with friends.

The thing is, the Necron codex does a pretty good job. Powerful leaders with strange "magic," goons that are hard to kill because they rise from the dirt... why bother?

Charistoph
05-10-2013, 10:08 AM
He's asking about undead codices. Not the bonafide dead ones.

I know at least one person, locally, who runs them. So, not bonafide dead.

The thing is, the Necron codex does a pretty good job. Powerful leaders with strange "magic," goons that are hard to kill because they rise from the dirt... why bother?

Robotic Undead... Bla...*glitch*...ah!

ElectricPaladin
05-10-2013, 10:13 AM
I know at least one person, locally, who runs them. So, not bonafide dead.

I run Sisters (mostly as allies to my Blood Angels, but it's pretty inevitable that they'll develop into a full force, or show up as my army in a small game once in while). I was just being smarmy.

OrksOrksOrks
05-13-2013, 02:28 AM

I don't think the Necron codex allows for the more "horde" feel that people want from the undead, its a start though

Koremu
05-13-2013, 05:14 AM
I don't think the Necron codex allows for the more "horde" feel that people want from the undead, its a start though

Well if you want a horde of mindless beings whose cohesion as an army lasts only as long as their creator is actively directing them and otherwise devolve into animalistic behaviours, then you want Tyranids.

ElectricPaladin
05-13-2013, 07:47 AM

I thought you could still do massive blobs of Necron Warriors and Immortals (and so on) slowly advancing across the field and relying on their resiliency to survive. That's not so?

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
05-13-2013, 02:49 PM
As well as the aforementioned Typhus and Necrons, Dark Eldar could do a decent Undead-feeling list, with hordes of Wracks acting as zombies, grotesques/talos/cronos being weird flesh-constructs, haemonculi as Liches and such. Ally in some Farseers and Guardians for Necromancers and cultists.

Kawauso
05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
You absolutely can still do that.

Warriors and Immortals are 13 and 17 points apiece, respectively, and you can back them up with res. orbs or Ghost Arks (for the warriors) to enhance their reanimation capabilities.
Warriors are the best bet because they're cheaper and can go in blobs of 20, and you can use a couple strategically-placed Ghost Arks to support a few squads - and the Ghost Ark's repair ability is something completely different from the resurrection orb's enhancement of reanimation protocols, so the abilities stack to make the units even more resilient.

Combined with all gauss weaponry auto-glancing vehicles on a 6, there's no reason that strategy isn't viable if it's something you really want to go for.