PDA

View Full Version : Heralds of chaos

undone
05-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I have just bought myself a copy of Codex: Chaos daemons. I am trying to make sense of the rules regarding heralds. In the box a the top of their army list entry it says that:

Each primary detachment in your army may include up to four Heralds of Chans.

My question is simply can I include any Heralds in a secondary detachment or in an allied detachment? Or are Heralds limited to primary detachments only? The rules imply that Heralds are primary only.

DWest
05-09-2013, 03:47 PM
My personal suspicion is that the point they're trying to make is that you can only buy the 4-for-1 cram in a Primary Detachment. The logic I am following is: "Here is an option which breaks the basic rules (i.e. more than 2 HQ units), and this is the specific situation in which you may do so." This reading, however, relies on GW having a logical reason for doing what they did. You may feel free to wager on the likelyhood of that being true.

Lord Krungharr
05-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Since a Herald is a legitimate HQ choice, the way we play it is you can choose a single Herald for an Allied HQ slot. The 4 in 1 can only be taken in a Primary Detachment.

Otherwise all you could take in a Allied Daemons detachment is the Masque or the Changeling (or was it Blue Scribes?). Those kinda suck.

undone
05-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks. I guess that a reasonable interpretation of the rules is that you can bring one herald in your allied detachment.

Nabterayl
05-10-2013, 01:20 AM
I agree. The presence of an army list entry under the HQ section of the army list is itself authorization to spend one HQ slot to get one herald. An allied detachment can take advantage of that.

droozy
05-13-2013, 03:01 AM
Yeah. I thought you could take it in an allied detachment but I just re-read the rule and its pretty clear. Primary detachments only.

Magpie
05-13-2013, 05:34 AM
My question is simply can I include any Heralds in a secondary detachment or in an allied detachment? Or are Heralds limited to primary detachments only? The rules imply that Heralds are primary only.

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as a Secondary Detachment, you can however have an additional Primary detachment at 2k+

So two over 2k and you can potentially have 8 heralds.

undone
05-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Isn't the primary detachment the one with your warlord? It just doesn't make any sense that they both are called primary (but I haven't got my rules book with me so ...).

What would your interpetation of the rules be - one or zero heralds in an allied detachment?

DWest
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
The "Primary" Detachment tag is just to differentiate from an "Allied" Detachment. For every full 2k points in your army, you may buy 1 Primary Detachment and 1 Allied Detachment, each following their respective rules for filling FOCs.

Heralds are an HQ choice for Chaos Daemons; in addition, a specific call-out in the unit listings says you may take a gang of up to 4 Heralds in exchange for 1 HQ slot in a Primary Detachment. It's most similar, rules-wise, to the Blood Angels Sanguinary Priest and Chaplains- you can use one FOC slot to buy X number of these guys, but each one is a separate kill point and can be told off to join any permissible squad.

Nabterayl
05-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Isn't the primary detachment the one with your warlord? It just doesn't make any sense that they both are called primary (but I haven't got my rules book with me so ...).
Strictly speaking, "primary" is simply a type of detachment (specifically, one which must include one HQ choice and two Troops choices, and may include up to one additional HQ choice, four additional Troops choices, three Elites choices, three Fast Attack choices, and three Heavy Support choices; cf. page 109), and among the eligibility requirements for being nominated warlord is that the nominated model be from one of your primary detachments. See page 110: "Your warlord must be from either of the primary detachments in your army."

Tynskel
05-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Oh noes! The dreaded CF!!!!

Magpie
05-14-2013, 06:42 PM
What would your interpetation of the rules be - one or zero heralds in an allied detachment?

You could read it either way but my gut feel is that you can take 1 as a HQ choice.

undone
05-15-2013, 03:30 AM
Thanks everyone. I really need to open up that rules book from time to time. :)