PDA

View Full Version : Citadel Colour Conversion Question...

Denzark
05-07-2013, 01:35 PM
What, if anything, is the old equivalent of 'bloodletter' glaze - wondered if it was the old red ink?

Cheers out.

DeadPanda
05-07-2013, 02:15 PM
The glaze is nowhere near as strong as the old red inks. I find my use of the glazes sees a much finer gradient of shade. The inks tended to stain the models and gave a less subtle finish.
I'm experimenting with candy paints at the moment and am finding them to be quite similar to the old inks.

Denzark
05-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Cheers Deady - so maybe Red Ink with a touch of Nuln Oil?

DeadPanda
05-07-2013, 03:16 PM
What are you planning with it Den ?

OrksOrksOrks
05-07-2013, 03:25 PM
There isn't really an equivalent, a glaze is very different to any of the older paints, a very watered down but still very strong red colour, that can be used to bring a colour to a whole aread, you won't replicate what a glaze does with washes, you'd have more luck using a thinning medium with a bold red paint.

Denzark
05-07-2013, 03:40 PM
I am trying an all wash technique from WD a couple of months back, which they did on Plaguebearers and I am recreating on Plague Marines. The red guts and stuff, they washed with this bloodletter glaze. I ain't got any and can't be arsed to wait until the weekend!

So trying to recreate with what I have - impatient!

vharing
05-07-2013, 04:48 PM
I used the same recipe for painting my plague bearers but I used purple on the guts instead. It makes them stand out more I think.

DeadPanda
05-08-2013, 01:17 AM
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/a9a1d24f2512a8f956c366ca10594711.jpg

These were done using Minitaire ghost paints, blue and red. Mixed a little to get various shades of blood to get some old and some new pumping stuff. Thinned them a little with some water.
The guts themselves were painted a pale flesh colour, which I think allowed the ghost tints to stain them in a more realistic way. The red one is called "Ghost tint" "Fresh Blood"

OrksOrksOrks
05-08-2013, 05:23 AM
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab3/joenortonjones/a9a1d24f2512a8f956c366ca10594711.jpg

These were done using Minitaire ghost paints, blue and red. Mixed a little to get various shades of blood to get some old and some new pumping stuff. Thinned them a little with some water.
The guts themselves were painted a pale flesh colour, which I think allowed the ghost tints to stain them in a more realistic way. The red one is called "Ghost tint" "Fresh Blood"

If he can't he bothered to get Bloodletter red, what are the chances he's going to want to try and find a decent source for Minitaire? I can't even find anyone that looks remotely trustworthy to buy those from.

If we were doing to suggest alternatives, then Tamiya Clear Red is pretty much perfect for what he wants to do, and mixed with dark browns makes a great blood effect as its glossy and thick

DeadPanda
05-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Here in the UK (not sure where your from) they can be found on eBay easy enough as there is only one stockist. I have used them multiple times and they have excellent service. Stevep146 is the name of the guy who sells them on eBay. Postage isn't cheap but he does combine. Last order he refunded me £40 in postage on a multiple purchase.

OrksOrksOrks
05-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Yeah, thats Steve of Barwell Bodyworks, just emailed him this morning about something actually, putting an order in with him now