PDA

View Full Version : Paint Pens (For Eyes, Windows on Ships, and Such)

ElectricPaladin
05-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm looking for paint pens, the kind suitable for painting extremely small details on minis. I'm looking for a couple of colors (white and blue, to be specific). Can anyone point me in the direction of a good brand (links preferred).

DeadPanda
05-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Tamiya do some paint pens I believe, never used them myself. I use a 000 series 7 brush for fine detail with paint thinned with a drying retarder.

ElectricPaladin
05-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Tamiya do some paint pens I believe, never used them myself. I use a 000 series 7 brush for fine detail with paint thinned with a drying retarder.

Tamiya's a great brand, but a pain in the butt to find. No website of their own, which makes it hard to compare and contrast brands.

As for why I want to try paint pens, it's really for the windows on ships. I'm starting Firestorm Armada and I want to go back and improve my BFG. Look at the windows on a Star Trek external shot; I've found it really hard to get that squared-off look with a brush. My windows end up looking too rounded.

I'll dig around and see if I can't find somewhere that sells Tamiya near me/online. Anyone got any other recommendations?

ElectricPaladin
05-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Scratch that, I was able to find Tamiya's US website (derp). I have a new problem now. Their paint pens aren't there. Maybe they don't exist anymore?

ElectricPaladin
05-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Ok... eBay has come to the rescue. Or has it?

I was able to find this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Paint-Marker-X-2-Gloss-White-89002-/400452629476) and this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAMIYA-COLOR-Mini-4WD-Permanent-Paint-Marker-89203-MP-3-Blue-MODEL-KIT-TOOLS-NEW-/271003572947?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3f19125ad3), but I can't tell if the tips are tiny enough for my purposes. Am I going in the right direction here?

DeadPanda
05-07-2013, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure, but the description says gloss, it also states its good for general painting of wood, metal etc. I think the nibs on these will be far too big.
Have you tried using modellers masking tape to get the hard edge you want ? Again tamiya I know do it, I use it all the time.

ElectricPaladin
05-07-2013, 10:31 AM
I've got some of that stuff. The trouble is, I think getting a good mask on such a tiny surface would be really hard.

How about these guys (http://www.idgsupply.com/item-detail/04861596876_markal_paint_markers_fineline_precisio n_color_green_markalproline?c1=GAW_SE_NW&source=PLA_USA&kw=IACF1J4CDS3R04861596876&cr6=pla&utm_source=GAW_SE_NWPLA_USA&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=all_products&cr4=eCommerce__-__PLAs__-__All_Products&mm_campaign=2d1af69afdb99cb3d6ff512fc3dcc96b&keyword=all_products)? They promise 1mm and 2mm tips available.

Iceman
05-07-2013, 10:50 AM
What about using Sharpie permanent markers. They make them in various colors with tips as small as .005 (I use them for eyes and small writing for my 40K models).

DeadPanda
05-07-2013, 10:56 AM
I reackon they are worth a go, not too expensive either. Just keep the nib clean as I would think that at that size they could clog quite easily. Icemans sharpie idea is a good one too.

Deathscythe91
05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
You can try Gundam Markers. I have used several efficiently. Lots of colors to choose from.
http://robot4less.com/modeling-supplies/gundam-marker

StarWarsDoug
05-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Find a true Art Supply store near you. They will carry multiple colors of paint pens down to .005 at least. In Texas, Texas Art Supply has them. Worse case you might be able to find their website and order from them. I am using a red gloss micron pen on lenses to get a shiny look. And plan tonuse them on my Eldar gems as well.

Lunar Camel
05-07-2013, 02:22 PM
I use Pigma Micron pens from Sakura Color Products (Japan). You can find them at any art store. The ones I use are the Micron 01 size. The pens have a really fine point (draws a line that is 0.25mm wide)and are almost like a sharpie and come in a lot of colors (I usually use black, brown, and red). They are usually used for scrapbooking, art, and the like. They are archival ink that is waterproof and fade proof.

A tip when using them. If you are not happy with the line, dot, etc, just wipe it off and try again. With that said, if you are happy with the line, dot, ect don't touch it until it dries completely or it will wipe off or worse, smudge. This includes painting over it as it will bleed or smudge. But once its dry, you can't get rid of it.

ElectricPaladin
05-07-2013, 02:28 PM
I use Pigma Micron pens from Sakura Color Products (Japan). You can find them at any art store. The ones I use are the Micron 01 size. The pens have a really fine point (draws a line that is 0.25mm wide)and are almost like a sharpie and come in a lot of colors (I usually use black, brown, and red). They are usually used for scrapbooking, art, and the like. They are archival ink that is waterproof and fade proof.

A tip when using them. If you are not happy with the line, dot, etc, just wipe it off and try again. With that said, if you are happy with the line, dot, ect don't touch it until it dries completely or it will wipe off or worse, smudge. This includes painting over it as it will bleed or smudge. But once its dry, you can't get rid of it.

Damn, but that's a tiny-@ss pen. I'll have to pick up some of those.

PalinMoonstride
05-07-2013, 10:17 PM

QFT

I couldn't make an eye look right until i got one of these pens. Now i just lay down a little white and go in with the pen straight on.

scarylion
05-09-2013, 10:32 AM
as has been said, Micron pens for teh win

StraightSilver
05-16-2013, 03:17 AM
I use Rotring Rapidograph pens for fine lines, script etc.

However these aren't technically paint pens and I don't think (could be wrong) they do them in white but they are very good for fine detail.

Chuck Williams
05-28-2013, 03:45 PM

+1. Best $4 I ever spent. They even come in white!