PDA

View Full Version : Baby names

Warp dust
05-04-2013, 03:22 PM
So I need some help picking out boy names for a baby we have on the way. I want something 40k related. She wants something different but not too far gone. Any suggestions?

DeadPanda
05-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Logan for a boy, its a great name for many reasons. Logan Grimnar, Logan (Wolverine) and Logan's run the movie.
I tried to go with an alternative name for my boy but the wife said no, she didn't like Zdrunas Savikas or Marnius too much. In hindsight I think she may have been right :)
Congratulations to you and your better half.

White Tiger88
05-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Oh this is easy.

Loken. Enough said.

phoenix01
05-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Ibram

gwensdad
05-04-2013, 07:10 PM
Ciaphas (HERO OF THE IMPERIUM)

FireHazard
05-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Leman or Russ

Lilith

Alizbeth

I used to work with a guy called Dante.

Chris Copeland
05-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Bethor! No... scratch that... everyone would call him "Beth."

bfmusashi
05-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Whatever first name you choose I recommend Action for the middle name.

Pssyche
05-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Jervis...

Chris Copeland
05-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Matt Ward! Yes, I win!

sangrail777
05-05-2013, 02:25 AM
I got away with Gabriel Angelos (Dawn of War)
I recomend Loken as well, or Angron

Mr Mystery
05-05-2013, 02:31 AM
Horus. What could possibly go wrong?.

Or, from the wisdom of the Great Cornholio.... You call call him Julio. Julio Bungholio. He shall be an albino. And a gringo.

eldargal
05-05-2013, 02:35 AM
Horus (think I'll pick this for a boy if I ever get knocked up)
Roboute
Lionel
Eldrad
Asurman
Fuegan

Lelith/Lilith
Drusilla
Jain
Qsandra

Popsical
05-05-2013, 03:19 AM
Tarik.
Magnus.
Lorgar.
Lugft.

Daemonette666
05-05-2013, 03:24 AM
Fter hearing all the names, and also thinking of some other Sci-Fi genre programs and games, I think Logan and Cassandra are good.

Cassandra is a nice Sisters of battle name from the novels, as well as being used in the old 2000AD comics (Necromunda comic strip where she was the wife of the chief Inquisitor who was purging aliens). She is also the name of one of the best Mega City One Psi-Judges about.

ilan.inglis
05-05-2013, 03:28 AM
the Idea seems so weird to me- I wouldn't even try to suggest something like this to ant future wife I might have. you sir are a brave man.

Popsical
05-05-2013, 03:30 AM
Logan is very popular with young chav girls for their benefit sprogs these days.
Makes me cringe hearing "lowwwgaaaan" screeched in those awful wannabe sowf lundun tones. Uuugh.

DrLove42
05-05-2013, 03:42 AM
As someone with an unusual name, that no one ever pronounces right when theyread it, and frequently assign to lists of girls not boys, let me advise three hings.

If its unusual make sure its easy to pronounce
Dont make one that has horrible ways of shortening it
And make sure its clear which gender it belongs to!

Also your child may well resent your choice if its truely awkward. Give them a generic middle name they can choose to use in later life

Certs
05-05-2013, 04:01 AM
A friend named his kid Konrad.

Lost Vyper
05-05-2013, 04:08 AM
I named my son (after my dead friend) Juha (traditional finnish first name) and his middle name is Julius (after Caesar :) ). We call him Julius and he likes the name (he´s six), but if he doesn´t want to use that name when he´s older, he can go by his first name. If your wife doesn´t like the names you come up with, try to squeeze it in as a middle name, it works :)

PalinMoonstride
05-05-2013, 05:55 AM
So I need some help picking out boy names for a baby we have on the way. I want something 40k related. She wants something different but not too far gone. Any suggestions?

My boy is named Titus. My wife actually suggested it too.
When the game Space Marine came out it quickly became Captain Titus. Whenever Captain Titus did something awesome I said " That's my boy!"

I know 4 people who named their kid Logan. It's totally been overdone in my opinion.

bfmusashi
05-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Y'know, no one can stop you from just naming the kid Emperor.

Shas'O Alohcry
05-05-2013, 06:47 AM
I wanted to call my son Konrad but my wife hates the name. I'm not a massive fan of most 40k names as they are very unusual (or Greek/roman) and I know that in my area he would be murdered by other kids. But as I have a stupidly common and boring name I don't want him to be in that situation either.

Having said that, the 40k girls names are much better (if fewer).

I think if you want a 40k name that's not too out there:
Konrad
Cain (as in Ciaphas)
Gideon (not too bad)
Horus
Loken
Garro (bit like Garry)
Davien (Thule from DOW + DOW2)

Kirsten
05-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Loken, Ibram, Tarik.

also Kharn, because then you can dramatically shout it across the park

gwensdad
05-05-2013, 07:38 AM
You know, I did forget to do something important: CONGRATS ON HAVING A BABY

Anyway, how about Gregor (Eisenhorn)?

Mr Mystery
05-05-2013, 08:03 AM
also Kharn, because then you can dramatically shout it across the park

This is also the reason my dog, when I can afford one (including dog walker fees) shall be called Spazz. Though definitely not a name for a kid....

Gotthammer
05-05-2013, 08:49 AM
There's an Aussie comedian named Tommy Dean (well, he's American but he lives here) who's got a daughter named Zara because he's a big Blood Bowl player (he may have also slightly lied to his wife at the time).

DeadPanda
05-05-2013, 11:27 AM
This is also the reason my dog, when I can afford one (including dog walker fees) shall be called Spazz. Though definitely not a name for a kid....

I often get my kids names mixed up with the dogs, shouting "here boy" at my 3 year old son, whilst patting my leg at the same time doesn't impress the mrs much.

Mr Mystery
05-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Meh. Dogs over kids any day for me! They don't answer back, or get a bad report or owt!

lobster-overlord
05-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Be all crimson fisty on her...

Call him Pedro

scadugenga
05-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Congrats!

And welcome to the sleepless club :)

Personally...pick a name that will not get him beat up in school. EG: (not our favorite forum lass, but rather the grammatical term) naming a 5'2" skinny kid "Imperator Rex" will not end well. ;)

Oh, and avoid Kharn. You'll just be asking for calls from the pricnipal's office.

Wildeybeast
05-06-2013, 03:08 AM
Seconded. (Some) Children are mean, vicious and insular and will look for even the slightest difference to prey upon. If you give yours a stupid nerdy name you might as well go the whole hog and tattoo kick me on their forehead. Just imagine that child trying to explain where their name comes from 'Well my dad plays Warhammer...' Remember, the name you choose for your child says a lot about you as a parent (http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/01/new-zealand-reveals-new-list-of-banned-names-for-babies-3709255/).

Mr Mystery
05-06-2013, 03:17 AM
Which is why you enrol them in Karate or similar from a young age. Keeps them fit, but most important of all, gives them confidence. A confident kid is rarely a bullied kid. And what they say is true, ultimately bullies are cowards, seeking to prove their dominance by singling out those least able to defend themselves. Especially if they're a bit shorter and don't have much in the way of back up....

Wildeybeast
05-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Yes, but you shouldn't need to enrol them in karate because you've given them a dumb name. Besides, most bullying isn't physical these days.

Mr Mystery
05-06-2013, 03:31 AM
I'd enrol them in Karate or similar regardless.

As whether physical, verbal or online, bullying tends not to work on a confident kid. They go for the weak points. Whilst confidence doesn't mean they aren't there, it does make them that much harder to spot.

Necron2.0
05-06-2013, 01:10 PM
I tried to convince my wife on the name "Gustavus Adolphus" before we found out we were having a girl.

Yeah ... she vetoed my choice for a girl's name too.

Edit: True story, my friend's kid's name is "Gabriel Casanova". "Casanova" is the wife's maiden name. She vetoed giving the boy two middle names, "Casanova Romeo".