PDA

View Full Version : Ruins bottom floor, 4+ or 5+?

CRoof93
05-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Recently a friend and I were discussing if the bottom floor of a ruin with a base is a 5+ save (for being area terrain, which the BRB says is a 5+ pg.91) or is it considered Wreckage/Rubble from the Battlefield Debris section (pg.105) which would make it a 4+? Any thoughts on how other people interpret this would be appreciated.

GordPotts
05-04-2013, 06:23 AM
I'd say that since the rulebook references the ground floor of a building/ruin with a base being 5+ as you said, then that rule applies. Battlefield debris is closer to wrecked tanks etc.

Archon Charybdis
05-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Yes the cover save conferred by simply standing in area terrain is 5+, you would need to be obscured by the actual ruined parts of the building to benefit from the 4+.

Nabterayl
05-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Yes the cover save conferred by simply standing in area terrain is 5+, you would need to be obscured by the actual ruined parts of the building to benefit from the 4+.
Precisely. Remember that the base of the ruin could just be a piece of MDF with painted sand on it, or even just a piece of MDF. Even just standing on that gives you a 5+ cover save, or a 3+ if you go to ground. If the base also happens to contain some chunks of roof or wall, fallen girders, or the like, and the model in question is sheltering behind one of those physical bits of debris on the base, it would receive a 4+ cover save, or a 2+ if it went to ground.

IronZOGZ
05-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Unless they changed the rules for Going to Ground in 6th, isn't the bonus to cover saves only +1?

Nabterayl
05-07-2013, 09:27 AM
isn't the bonus to cover saves only +1?
In general, yes. In area terrain, though (such as the ground floor of a ruin that is modeled on a base), the bonus is +2, per page 91: "Models that Go to Ground in area terrain receive +2 to their cover save, rather than +1."

Wolfshade
05-08-2013, 02:04 AM
In general, yes. In area terrain, though (such as the ground floor of a ruin that is modeled on a base), the bonus is +2, per page 91: "Models that Go to Ground in area terrain receive +2 to their cover save, rather than +1."

I hadn't realised that...