PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Charge Criteria

IronZOGZ
05-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Hello BoLS -

I'm struggling to understand multi-charging in this (6th) edition. As I read it, it seems to imply that you can only multi-charge (that is, hit a secondary unit) if your assaulting unit cannot reach base-to-base contact with an unengaged models of the primary unit first.

The rule:

"...a charging model is not permitted to move into base to base contact with a model from a secondary target, unless it cannot move into base to base contact with a model in the primary target." (Rulebook, Pg. 27)

What happens if I have a Dreadknight trying to charge 2 units? I know he loses his charging +1, but, though he could touch two units close together, is he not allowed to at all? That's what it looks like RAW.

Just trying to figure out Order of Operations for this from someone who knows what they're talking about (or can have a good discussion!). It's confusing in the rulebook.

These rules are found under "Disorganized Charge" on pages 27 and 28 of the main rulebook.

Nabterayl
05-02-2013, 11:05 AM
I promise not to make a habit out of posting rules questions with no page references. I'm at work with no rulebook!
A time-honored time to post rules questions, in my opinion :)

As I read the rules, a single model can make a multiple charge, but it is extremely unlikely to happen. The process for a multiple charge is this:

Step 1 is declare a multiple charge (see page 27: "We break a multiple charge declaration into two different categories: the primary target, and secondary targets;" "If a unit declares that it is charging multiple units;" "If a unit declares a charge against two or more target units," emphasis mine). At this stage, note that you may have to do some measuring, since "a unit cannot declare a charge against a unit it cannot reach or cannot see" (27 again). Remember that we have not rolled charge distance at this point, but if the secondary target is beyond the unit's maximum charge range or out of LOS (even if it would come into LOS during the course of the charge move) it is not a valid secondary target. Once we're sure that the secondary target(s) are valid, we move to step 2.

Step 2 is to resolve Overwatch. See page 27: "If a unit declares a charge against two or more target units, all of the target units can fire Overwatch! Resolve each unit's Overwatch shots separately in an order determined by the target units' controlling player." As with a single target charge, we resolve Overwatch before rolling charge distance, so it is entirely possible for a unit to receive Overwatch fire from a secondary target it will not actually be able to reach, or not be able to reach any of the declared targets.

Step 3 is to roll charge distance. Nothing new here.

Step 4 is to move the initial charger. As page 28 says, "Once Overwatch is resolved, find the initial charger for the primary assault (the model in the charging unit closest to the primary target) and attempt to move it into base contact with the primary target, just as you would against a single target." Note that, just as an initial charger must move "into contact with the nearest enemy model in the unit being charged, using the shortest possible
route (page 21, emphasis mine), the initial charger in a multiple charge must do the same. He must get into base contact with the nearest model in the primary target, and he must get there by the shortest possible route. This means that he cannot even pick which side of the enemy's base to be in contact with - he moves by the shortest possible route, and then his movement is over.

Step 5 is to move remaining models. As page 28 says, "If the initial charger successfully moves into base contact with the primary target, remaining models can charge models belonging to either the primary or secondary target units, as long as they follow the rules for moving charging models." Unlike with the initial charger, subsequent chargers do not have to move by the shortest possible route. However, they must attempt to get into base contact with models from the primary target first. Only if an individual model cannot get into base contact with a primary target model is he allowed to get into base contact with a secondary target model. As page 28 goes on to say, "a charging model is not permitted to move into base contact with a model in a secondary target, unless it cannot move into base contact with an unengaged model in the primary target." As with normal charges, the charging unit must also remain in coherency, which page 21 clarifies means remaining in coherency after each subsequent charger. Thus, although the attacking player can move subsequent chargers in any order he wishes, for each subsequent charger, the attacking player has to ask, (i) whether that individual model can get into base contact with a primary target model, (ii) if not, whether that individual model can get into base contact with a secondary target model, and (iii) whether doing so would leave that individual model in unit coherency without needing any other models in its unit to move. Thus, the second model to move can only end up 2" away from the initial charger in any case (4" if we're talking about a charging unit of vehicles), the model after that has to end up no more than 2" [or 4"] away from one of those two, and so forth.

What happens if I have a Dreadknight trying to charge 2 units? I know he loses his charging +1, but, though he could touch two units close together, is he not allowed to? Confused.
It's technically possible, but very difficult. Remember that, as the dreadknight will always be the initial charger, he has to get into base contact with the nearest model in the primary target by the shortest possible route. That means he must get into base contact with the nearest point on the base of the nearest model. He has to make a straight beeline for that guy. This might bring him into contact with a secondary target model, but it's pretty unlikely.

Suppose a dreadknight has 8" of charge distance. He needs to spend 4" of movement to get into base contact with the nearest primary target model by the shortest possible route, which he can easily do. Let's say this puts him at 12 o'clock on that model's base. If the dreadknight were instead at 2 o'clock on the target model's base, it would shift him just enough to tag a secondary target with his massive oval base. He cannot do this. Even though he has plenty of charge movement left over, and even though he would still be in base contact with the nearest model in the primary target, he would no longer be moving by the shortest possible route. If a straight beeline to the closest point on the base of the closest primary target model doesn't get the dreadknight into contact with the secondary target, too bad.

I had a unit of Thunderwolves charge some Tau and their Devilfish last week. I could easily make it to both units. I tied up most of the Fire Warriors and could slide a wolf over to hit the Devilfish easily (the unit and their transport were very close together). Was I not allowed to do that if the wolf could have tried to reach unengaged Fire Warriors?
No, you were not allowed to do that if the wolf could have reached an unengaged fire warrior (assuming the fire warriors were the primary target).

IronZOGZ
05-02-2013, 11:33 AM
So the only thing left to question is the proximity of enemy units I don't intend to charge /slash am not sure if I want to (but really, a Dreadknight should charge everything, because badass).

In a theoretical battle scenario between a Guard player and a GK player, he sets up two platoons of Guardsmen single-file about 1" apart and parallel to my Dreadknight and each other.

Because his base is an oval and he must charge by the shortest route (and assuming I'm an idiot and can't set up an attack angle that would permit it) the Dreadknight will be unable to contact the point man (B) in the second unit if he is directly touching the point man (A) of the primary unit, by geometry. He would, however, be within 1" of that point man B that he can't quite touch using the "shortest route" method.

1) Does being within 1" of an enemy I'm not charging (because I can't, by RAW) prevent me from charging at all?

2) If I declare Point Man B as my target unit, but would collide with Point Man A first (by geometry - attacking on the diagonal to pick up both units instead of attacking straight and missing Point Man B by a 1/2") - can I not declare a charge if I would hit my secondary target first?

I know this is a ridiculous line of inquiry - I'm just trying to make sure I understand the whole picture of this rule.

Nabterayl
05-02-2013, 11:47 AM
1) Does being within 1" of an enemy I'm not charging (because I can't, by RAW) prevent me from charging at all?
No, it does not. Remember that the prohibition on being within 1" of an enemy model contains a built-in exception for charge moves: "A model cannot move within 1" of an enemy model unless they
are charging into close combat in the Assault phase" (page 10). So long as you are charging, you're allowed to move within 1" of an enemy model. Note that once your dreadknight had charged to within 1" of Point Man B, both the dreadknight and B could stay within 1" of each other, although if B himself wanted to move he would have to reestablish the 1" distance.

2) If I declare Point Man B as my target unit, but would collide with Point Man A first (by geometry - attacking on the diagonal to pick up both units instead of attacking straight and missing Point Man B by a 1/2") - can I not declare a charge if I would hit my secondary target first?
Yes. Although you could pass within 1" of B, you could not move through him. I note, though, that if your dreadknight was using a personal teleporter in the Assault phase, he could jump over B.

Sly
05-02-2013, 01:41 PM
The only real way for a unit of 1 model to assault 2 units is if you declare your primary charge against a unit that is visible but behind a transport's corner. In some situations, your shortest path is to move the assaulting model to the transport's corner, and then into the unit, and if the unit is close enough to the transport, that means sliding along the transport until you reach the unit. At this point, you're touching both the unit that you declared against, and the transport, and have effectively multi-charged both. The same might be done by sliding along a large base. Theoretically, you could even do it against 2 units with small infantry bases, if they are set up just right, but it's going to be a very rare situation.

Basically, you move your assaulting unit in the Movement phase to a location where a string pulled from the target unit towards your assaulter is running along the base of another unit, and that other unit has its base so close to the target unit's nearest model that as you move your attacker along the string towards the target, the string is still touching the 2nd unit when you make contact. It's possible, but it takes some specific opponent placement, some specific assaulter movement, and usually a decent charge roll (though not always).

Denzark
05-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Jeez this is clearly on of those surprising rules that I had never considered. It would appear that, if you charged a big unit with a small unit that was close in, therefore ensuring there are sufficient bases the small charging unit can get to, then they can't multi charge.

I never clicked this - I thought it was merely a matter of calling it and losing a dice for charging becuase of disordered.

I would hate to spring this on a new opponent, espcially during tournament - I bet this is not wildly understood and would therefore take some discussion.

Yet another nerf to hth it would seem.

Nabterayl
05-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Jeez this is clearly on of those surprising rules that I had never considered. It would appear that, if you charged a big unit with a small unit that was close in, therefore ensuring there are sufficient bases the small charging unit can get to, then they can't multi charge.
That's very possible, yeah - and I agree with you that it's probably not well understood. It seems to follow GW's aesthetic of the assault phase being an incredibly chaotic, unplanned thing - even a space marine charge (on the tabletop, at least) is more a matter of, "Everybody follow that guy!" than anything else.

Wolfshade
05-03-2013, 02:28 AM
As always Nab a lovely concise answer.

I imagine to maximise the chance of a multi-charge, you'll need to almost conga line your assaulting troops and assault a unit slightly further away, so the first models take up the nearest models and block them off from the rest of the unit, allowing the remainder to spill over to the closet enemy from the alternative squad.

Magpie
05-03-2013, 02:48 AM
"(i) whether that individual model can get into base contact with a primary target model,"

On that tho', the rule says that a charging model can charge the secondary if it cannot get into base contact with an UNENGAGED enemy model.

What that means to me is the once the initial charger has got into base contact the nearest enemy, that enemy model and all enemy models within 2" of that enemy model are now engaged and therefore would not stop the next charger from going for the secondary.

Multi-combats might be a bit easier to generate because of that ?

Wolfshade
05-03-2013, 02:58 AM
That would make it easier, especially when larger squads assault smaller ones (or at least that present a limited file)

Nabterayl
05-03-2013, 11:44 AM
I believe that's a correct ... er, correction. Thanks, Magpie.

Dave Mcturk
05-09-2013, 02:52 AM
by my reckoning the rule mechanic is only going to 'work' [if the attacker truly wants to multi-charge] if in general the primary target is further away than the secondary target and the 'random charge distance dice roll total' is a favourable number mathematically [ie not so high a number as to take all charging figures past the secondary target] - ideally a secondary target will be 'blocking' [usually unintentionally] some or most of the route to the primary target

by my understanding there is no way a charging unit can 'run past' a primary target onto a secondary one... so in order to make the 'furthest away' target a 'primary target' any pre-charge firing must be made on that target...

i think the rule mechanic was designed to prevent excessive use of screening units as a 'screen' unit can now be charged even if they are wholly or almost wholly blocking the line of approach to a 'primary target' but the charging player could still have elected to use firepower against the primary target and not have to 'waste' it on a screen unit...