PDA

View Full Version : Boware?

Psychosplodge
05-01-2013, 02:58 AM
Just found this on Tumblr (http://skubtastic.tumblr.com/post/49314818634/according-to-a-reliable-source-within-bioware-i)

According to a reliable source within Bioware, I have been told that as of Monday, Bioware is now the proud owner of the Space Marines : 40k Franchise after THQ went under and sold off its IPs due to finical troubles earlier this year.

The source, who shall remain unnamed told me about several features that might make themselves a reality in 2014, the projected date of the games release. Originally Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium was to be a MMORPG based on the Games Workshop table top game, but THQ decided to make it into a 3rd person shooter with online elements. It seems that Bioware is going to keep with this formula. The only solid feature I could drag out of the source was that the campaign is going to be fluid and will feature a 1st founding chapter of Space Marines.I tried to glean more information from him but all he could tell me was that the main playable chapter for the Space Marines might have very very dark skin (The Salamanders?). He also went on to say Orks, Imperial Guard and The Tao might might an appearance as playable races. This is yet to be set into stone but here’s hoping!

Although the details are scarce, this is a nice pick me up for the fans of THQ’s Space Marine and 40k fans in general. Hopefully as the situation develops a bit more I will be able to bring more information your way. But right now it’ll be a waiting game. It’s just nice to know that a company like Bioware, who’s known to drive a game with great narrative has picked up the project and will hopefully bring it to the next level!

— http://bitbybitgaming.blogspot.pt/2013/04/bioware-has-acquired-space-marine-ip.html

That's my 40k gaming over if I'm going to have to have origin.

DrLove42
05-01-2013, 03:01 AM
Love Bioware games. So this is good news for me!

Psychosplodge
05-01-2013, 03:05 AM
I did before Electronic mAss productions ruined them...

plus I wanted Space Marine : Total War

jgebi
05-01-2013, 03:21 AM
This could be good I really do love their stuff so very happy tonight when I go to bed I'm all warm and fuzzy

Minibem
05-01-2013, 03:28 AM
Being interesting to see what comes of it and what they will use origin, steam, etc to run it but sounds like good news so far!

Right back to making the office look clean before the big big boss comes in

eldargal
05-01-2013, 03:49 AM
Oh my.

I'll be in my bunk.

Psychosplodge
05-01-2013, 03:54 AM
Cleaning isn't that exciting...

Gir
05-01-2013, 03:58 AM
Being interesting to see what comes of it and what they will use origin, steam, etc to run it but sounds like good news so far!

Right back to making the office look clean before the big big boss comes in

It' an EA game, so it will be Origin exclusive.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
05-01-2013, 04:29 AM
Yus! Bioware rule!

OrksOrksOrks
05-01-2013, 04:31 AM
This is bunk, the lisence reverted to GW once THQ went under, thats why there were doubts about another DoW game, they could not have aquired the IP from THQ as THQ never owned the IP, they lisenced it from GW, in the event THQ goes under, the lisence ends.

Psychosplodge
05-01-2013, 04:36 AM
I hope it is, I still want a 40k total war game...

eldargal
05-01-2013, 04:36 AM
This is bunk,

And I'm in it.

/wit

Gotthammer
05-01-2013, 04:40 AM
At least we know if there's ever a sudden battle of wits you're always half prepared...

I'm hopeful, but as Multi-Ork pointed out it does sound odd that the licence got sold rather than reverting. But not knowing the specifics of the THQ agreement it's hard to say at this time.

eldargal
05-01-2013, 04:41 AM
The mere prospect of BW working on a 40k game is bunk worthy (the good kind) in my book. I agree it is likely nonsense though.

Dlatrex
05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I think EG just set the record for number of times "bunk" was used in the first 2 pages of a thread.

Now all of the IP and licensing news has been a little hard to follow: after the implosion of THQ I can remember SEGA being featured prominently as picking something (someone?) up. Was this just Relic, and not necessarily the games they produced in turn? I have a hard time just following what role each of the many companies plays, when it comes to game production, distribution, or ownership....

Power Klawz
05-01-2013, 09:34 AM
Bioware 40k would probably be a pretty great thing to have. Not sure if it actually will be a thing though. The wise man inside me is glad to hear news of the 40k franchise being dropped out of the MMO market, but the fanboy in me will forever lament that I never got to play as an ork nob in a free-roaming MMO game wherein I could decapitate ultrasmurfs for hours on end.

DeadPanda
05-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Personally think the best way to make a 40k game would be to have it similar to Xcom. The only thing missing from that game is the marines. Hell you could have a squad of any race you like and it would work.

Power Klawz
05-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Also "Boware"

lulz

Mr Mystery
05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
This is bunk, the lisence reverted to GW once THQ went under, thats why there were doubts about another DoW game, they could not have aquired the IP from THQ as THQ never owned the IP, they lisenced it from GW, in the event THQ goes under, the lisence ends.

Depends. Misreport can be misreport, and in fact Bioware have procured the license from GW.

darthpuyang
05-01-2013, 09:53 AM
here's my question, when a company license their IP, do they only license to one dev at a time or can they license multiple devs?

Mr Mystery
05-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Single developer I believe, or you risk diluting the value of the license, and making less cashmonies.

Not 100% though.

Defenestratus
05-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Hot commentary in regarding potential Bioware GW game:

<Lexington> Oh, man, I can't wait to go mack on weird alien transexuals in a Space Marine game.

RGilbert26
05-01-2013, 10:19 AM
We're getting Warhammer Total War not 40k.

A 40k RPG done by Bioware would be really cool.

Psychosplodge
05-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Also "Boware"

lulz

The keyboard on the work laptop is shocking, the 4 has something like a 99% failure rate till you hammer it...

We're getting Warhammer Total War not 40k.

A 40k RPG done by Bioware would be really cool.

Yes but I want 40K toatal war :p

Failing that I'd rather had an Inquistion or Necromunda game by Bethasda? In the fallout 3 style...

bfmusashi
05-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Timmy the shlub during the End Times of his planet would be fun too. Dodging gangs, Inquisitors, whatever doom your planet attracted, would be fun. 40k is such a malleable license you can make any kind of game with it and respect the property.

Power Klawz
05-01-2013, 11:21 AM
A survival horror game set in a hive city on a planet under siege would be amazing. You're just average joe-not-totally-mutated running around scrounging for weapons and running away from everything in hopes you can hitch a ride on the first transport off planet. Everything would be out to get you, as we all know space marines are not your friend and would sooner crush your skull with ceramite jackboots than look at you. Imagine dodging genestealer cults or chaos warbands as you traverse the untold layers of the underhive, only to reach the surface and have to flee for your life when the local commissar notices you aren't in uniform with a lasgun in your hand.

Would be rather brilliant in my estimation.

magickbk
05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
here's my question, when a company license their IP, do they only license to one dev at a time or can they license multiple devs?

That generally depends on how specific the licensing agreement is. A company can license someone to make video games in their universe, or they could license one company to produce an MMO in the universe, and someone different to produce games for mobile devices, etc.

Nabterayl
05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
Either way. It is totally fine to grant an exclusive license to one company, or an exclusive license to one company per platform, or a non-exclusive license to a bunch of companies at once, or even a non-exclusive license to one company that reserves the right to grant another non-exclusive license to other companies later on. The IP owner is in complete control of what rights they license, and that includes exclusivity.

Of course, whether other companies will pay for anything other than an exclusive license is another matter. Just because you're allowed to sell it doesn't mean somebody wants to buy it. In general, as I understand it, companies are not interested in non-exclusive licenses.

Wildeybeast
05-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Personally think the best way to make a 40k game would be to have it similar to Xcom. The only thing missing from that game is the marines. Hell you could have a squad of any race you like and it would work.

So you want DoW 2 but turn based? I can't see that making DoW2 any less boring.

Godless Zealot
05-01-2013, 01:17 PM
The keyboard on the work laptop is shocking, the 4 has something like a 99% failure rate till you hammer it...

You could of passed it off as a play on words crossing Bioware with Beware considering your trepidation of the news?

DarkLink
05-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Time for an Eldar/Sister of Battle slashfic to set the stage?

Mr Mystery
05-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Whatever we get......

1) I'll appreciate it
2) Though I really hope it's not an attempt to computerise the table top game...

Psychosplodge
05-01-2013, 02:52 PM
You could of passed it off as a play on words crossing Bioware with Beware considering your trepidation of the news?

Yes I mean it was that :D

RGilbert26
05-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Id want an epic Inquisitor RPG with several planets, 30+ hours of core gameplay with at least another 10+ hours of side quests, and a ton of other stuff i cant think of :p

eldargal
05-01-2013, 05:44 PM
There haven't been any transexual aliens in Bioware games...

Kirsten
05-01-2013, 05:57 PM
or maybe they have :eek:

Lexington
05-01-2013, 06:20 PM
There haven't been any transexual aliens in Bioware games...
Huh. Sounds like an opening...

<this joke space intentionally left blank for audience participation>

Defenestratus
05-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Huh. Sounds like an opening...

<this joke space intentionally left blank for audience participation>

Don't look at me - I purposely replayed the whole damn 2nd one just so I could get with Miranda in the engine room.

Yeah... totally worth it.

Havik110
05-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Love Bioware games. So this is good news for me!

i like bioware...my problem with them since their inception is that every game has the same story...

PC comes from mysterious origins, has help from a group of people, each very different from one another, eventually 1 of them turns to the dark side (not so much in mass effect), you have the choice to redeem that person or kill them, ?????, save the world...

they do make good games but that is the template they follow..

so for 40k....
New scout comes from a village where everyone is dead but him and no one knows how he survives so he must be a bad@$$ sent by the emperor to become a space marine.
He Meets new and exciting characters, like the berserker from the flesh tearers, the wise sage like chappy that hates witches and aliens from the black templar, the goofy tech marine from the iron hands who always manages to mess up the team's thunderhawk in some way but makes it work when it counts, the longfang with a drinking issue who has much knowledge but it is garbled as he is always drunk...it will need a love interest, so we have the half naked sister repentia who cant forgive herself for not doing something unimportant that no one can remember...

also on the 1st day the game comes out you will be able to download 2 DLC characters with stories that dont affect the game at all...probobly the waaaagh loving ork that just wants to waaaagh and follows you because where you go waaaagh will follow... the 2nd is an eldar wearing striking scorpion armor who never speaks to atone for the fact that he was a 3rd edition Dark eldar incubus and never owned a glaive...

Power Klawz
05-02-2013, 09:22 AM
I'd pay 5 bucks for the waaagh loving ork to be honest.

Havik110
05-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I'd pay 5 bucks for the waaagh loving ork to be honest.

you actually get him for free if you preorder from gamestop...

RGilbert26
05-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Apparently what they bought was the Space Marine and Dark Millennium Licences, so looks like we'll get Space Marine 2 and Dark Millennium actually released.