PDA

View Full Version : Lord Volstagg's Crusade: Alamo GT (1850 CSM) List

Caitsidhe
04-30-2013, 12:57 PM
The Alamo GT in San Antonio is just around the corner and I've finally tuned my list about as much as possible. I like to think it is both "fluffy" and a competitive "all comer" kind of list. See below:

THE BACKSTORY:
Baron Volstagg was promoted to commander (Warlord) when his previous commander was elevated to Daemohood. Lord Krampus garnered Nurgle's attention and favor by recovering both the fabled "Black Mace" and "Burning Brand of Skalathrax" for his God. He is now a Daemon Prince and while he continues to fight alongside the army he helped build, his mind no longer appreciates the subtle aspects of tactics. He lives now only to destroy at the forfront of the army. Thus, Lord Volstagg became Baron Volstagg and commands the army with Krampus his right hand Daemon Prince and mentor. The core of the army is Plague Marines under the command of Lord Eran and Lord Vinny (who was promoted in turn when Lord Volstagg moved up). There are also applicants to join, i.e. the so-called Dregs who are nothing more than Chaos Space marines who have not yet garnered the mark of Nurgle but hope for blessing. These are assigned to man the defensive perimeter walls and man the gun emplacements. A small squad of Terminators, callsign "The Damned" are afforded room and board in return for their services on suicidal missions. Baron Volstagg bolsters his small strike force by paying other minions of Chaos in blood and battle. Obliterators who have gained the favor of Nurgle provide his heavy support, and Helldrakes that are allowed to leech off his naval transport provide air support.

HQ:
(Warlord) Baron Volstagg- Mark of Nurgle Chaos Lord w/Burning Brand, Sigil of Corrpution, and Power Axe (150pts)
Krampus - Daemon Prince of Nurge w/Wings, Power Armor, Black Mace, and a Combat Familiar (280pts)

TROOPS:
Eran's Puss - (7) Plague Marines w/2 Melta, Champion Power Axe, and Dedicated Rhino w/Dirge Caster (243pts)
Vinny's Virus - (7) Plague Marines w/2 Melta, Champion Power Axe, and Dedicated Rhino w/Dirge Caster (243pts)
The Dregs - (5) Chaos Space Marines w/Champion sporting Combi-Bolter (78pts)

FORTIFICATION:
Point of No Return - Aegis Defense Lines w/Quad Gun (100pts)

ELITE:
The Damned (3) Terminators w/3 Power Axes and 3 Combi-Melta (112pts)

FAST ATTACK:
Smaug - Helldrake w/Baleflamer (170pts)
Ancalagon - Helldrake w/Baleflamer (170pts)

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Gothmog's Malice - (2) Mark of Nurgle Obliterators (152pts)
Gothmog's Curse - (1) Mark of Nurgle Obliterator (76pts)
Gothmog's Fury - (1) Mark of Nurgle Obliterator (76pts)

TOTAL: 1850

*I've posted this list before, or at least a close iteration of it. This is my final tune w/fluff. It has tested well against nearly every kind of list I have put it up against. I have not gotten but a couple of games against the new Tau (sadly) so I am not prepared to say how well it does yet. I won both of those games but it was still tricky. They have excellent tools to fight my threats.

Corbarvius
05-01-2013, 03:49 PM
I like the basic build but have a few issues:

1). Single Obliterators are easy Ist Kills and Kill Points. They would be better as 2x2.

2). I don't like just 3 Terminators, again feeling that they are easy points. Their points might be better used as a 5th Obliterator and some extra CSMs including adding a Plasmagun to the squad. I assume 'The Dregs' man the Quad Gun, and as they are your only 'rearguard' are currently really underpowered.

Also are the Dirge Casters really worth it? Could their points also be used for the CSMs?

Caitsidhe
05-01-2013, 04:32 PM
I like the basic build but have a few issues:

1). Single Obliterators are easy Ist Kills and Kill Points. They would be better as 2x2.

I haven't lost one yet that way. :) Remember that in most cases the single Obliterator units are in reserve and coming in as Drop & Pop. I usually start the two man units on the board.

2). I don't like just 3 Terminators, again feeling that they are easy points. Their points might be better used as a 5th Obliterator and some extra CSMs including adding a Plasmagun to the squad. I assume 'The Dregs' man the Quad Gun, and as they are your only 'rearguard' are currently really underpowered.

The Termicide unit has several specific roles depending on the opponent. The Dregs don't need any power. Their job is to hold an objective and/or fire the Quad Gun. You guessed rightly there. Why would they need a Plasma Gun? They will never be near combat.

Also are the Dirge Casters really worth it? Could their points also be used for the CSMs?

Yes. I could go into a lengthy explanation but the answer to your question is yes. They are most certainly worth it to me. I plan on being in combat in most cases by Turn-2, or by my 1st Turn if I go second. The ability to rush these things forward 12, another 6 for going flat out... put me 30" in and affecting up to 36" forward with my Dirge Casters in shutting down Overwatch.