PDA

View Full Version : Using Primarchs in Vanilla 40K Games

The Sovereign
04-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi, guys. I was wondering if anyone was planning on using primarchs in non-HH games, and if that was expressly illegal under the rules. Of course, they'll eat up about 300-500 points of your army, and they'll be pretty OP against armies without primarchs, but I think it can still be do-able.

What should armies with primarchs look like? It would probably have to be near Apocalypse in points scale, maybe at least 2K-2500 points. For instance, I play Wolves, and it's safe to say that when the rules for Russ come out, he'll be in the neighborhood of 400 points. For troops, tack on 3 grey hunter squads and a squad of blood claws, all with upgrades, and you're already nearing 1500 points. Throw on a 10 man squad of WG termies, half CC and half shooty (plus Arjac), and you've busted 2K. Throw in a land raider crusader with multi melta and a squad of long fangs and you're just over 2500. Granted, other Wolves players, especially the more competitive ones, would build their list very differently than I would.

Has anyone else put thought into using primarchs in their 40K list?

Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer
04-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Well, the Primarchs take up a special FOC slot which they share with some superheavies. If you want to use them in a balanced vanilla game, let your opponent take one of the smaller superheavies in their army, if they want.

Dragonlv8
04-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Local tournament I played in at 2000 points recently one guy used the heresy army list and used Angron. He ranked 16/24. Although I heard he had some great moments, it's not an auto win button.

sangrail777
04-28-2013, 12:21 AM
Be nice when the rules for Sanguinius come out, I'll be fielding all the Sang. Gaurd I got (35), Several Assault SQ's and if I remember to than some tac's and Termies and maybe a squad of Devastaters. Course anything without a jump pack will be coming in on storm ravens and thunderhawks. Yeah, I guess I'm thinking APOC. For smaller games I would Sanguinius with his gaurd and assault squads.

jgebi
04-28-2013, 01:29 AM
as much of a lore head as I am and I can see ways to balance this with other races I don't think I would take one my self in anything under 2k just dosen't seem right

OrksOrksOrks
04-29-2013, 01:54 AM
As they are supposed to use a Lords of War slot on the FoC, that would help balance them and mean they are only used in big battles, throw enough bullets at them and they'd die, except for Horus

Mr Mystery
04-29-2013, 06:16 AM
As they are supposed to use a Lords of War slot on the FoC, that would help balance them and mean they are only used in big battles, throw enough bullets at them and they'd die, except for Horus

Actually, from the current bunch, it's Mortarion people will struggle to drop! So. Frikking. Tough! Re-rolls 'It Will Not Die' as well. And I think he refuses to pop his clogs on a better roll too. 'Orrible!

The Sovereign
04-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Yeah, Mortarion is gross. Rerolling It Will Not Die is huge!

Sigmaril
04-30-2013, 12:39 AM
Where do I find the rules for Primarchs?

OrksOrksOrks
04-30-2013, 01:48 AM
Where do I find the rules for Primarchs?

The Horus Heresy rule books from Forge World, so far they've released 4 in Betrayal, Horus, Angron, Fulgrim and Mortarion, the next book is probably out before Games Day and will be called Massacre, going by the models they've painted up and what they've said so far, we should expect rules for Night Haunter, Vulkan, Ferrus Manus and Lorgar

Wolfshade
04-30-2013, 01:50 AM
Here:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_Books/THE_HORUS__HERESY_BOOK_ONE_BETRAYAL.html

Mr Mystery
04-30-2013, 05:22 AM
The Horus Heresy rule books from Forge World, so far they've released 4 in Betrayal, Horus, Angron, Fulgrim and Mortarion, the next book is probably out before Games Day and will be called Massacre, going by the models they've painted up and what they've said so far, we should expect rules for Night Haunter, Vulkan, Ferrus Manus and Lorgar

It's possible I may have a copy of the next book on 18th May.....for I am going to the Horus Heresy Weekender, and many goodies and pre-release gubbins are promised. And I am desparately trying not to spend my cashmonies before I go!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-30-2013, 05:26 AM
EAT BEANS! THEY'RE CHEAP!

Also, delicious.

But have repercussions if you eat too many.

Mr Mystery
04-30-2013, 05:32 AM
TDA please....cupboards are already well stocked with the tasty foods! Only need to survive for 3 weeks as of tomorrow (I get paid quite early compared to most). And it's mostly going to be Curry, Chilli and Rice. Yum yum yum!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-30-2013, 05:33 AM
I get paid weekly. -_-

Mr Mystery
04-30-2013, 05:36 AM
Very weakly?

BOOM BOOM!

I personally get paid quite, quite handsomely once a month, every month! Got my hotel room booked, train tickets are a birthday pressie from my parents, and I'm pretty much all set to go! Looking at taking just £100. This is enough to feed my face over the days, and stretch to the next book provided it is available.

I should really point out, the availability of the next book (which I understand is called 'Massacre') is purely speculative hope on my behalf! No insider knowledge, just blind hope!

The Sovereign
04-30-2013, 06:18 AM

Shouldn't Raven Guard be included in there? Or are they going to do a third Istvaan book? I hope not, Istvaan wasn't that interesting compared to some other events in th HH, I'd prefer they get on with it and introduce other primarchs.