PDA

View Full Version : Piranha Tactics

TheWinslow
04-26-2013, 09:31 AM
I started writing a blog recently to try and get a feel for the new Tau army. Still unsure on whether or not I like Piranha, but I feel like they could be really strong in certain builds:

http://savagesynergy.blogspot.com/2013/04/updated-piranha-tactics.html

Discussion and comments would be great (on either the Piranha or the blog itself).

Panxer
04-26-2013, 11:08 AM
My advice? Cut their wings off, (maybe magnetize them), then convert them into tetras.

ElectricPaladin
04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I remain underwhelmed by the piranha. In another of my threads, the best anyone could say about them was that they got cheaper, which makes fielding a horde of the little buggers a valid choice. Rush your opponent with a swarm of suicide piranhas, whittle away at heavy infantry and vehicles with fusion blasters, use the time to redeploy the rest of your forces advantageously. Piranhas remain a paradox: lightly armored (I know they're hardier than land speeders, but they still pretty fragile), easy-to-kill vehicles with relatively short-range weaponry, requiring that they get up in their targets' face. The fact that they are now a cheap - and therefore numerous - paradox doesn't make them worth the opportunity cost of not using those points and that Fast Attack slot for pathfinders, or a flyer, or - as Panxer suggests - tetras.

MajorWesJanson
04-26-2013, 12:21 PM
It helps to ignore the fact that they are vehicles when it comes to tactics, and treat them as a bit shorter ranged versions of Marine Attack Bikes.

Uncle Nutsy
04-27-2013, 12:37 PM
They're still my go-to unit of cheap seeker missile carrying units. It's always a laugh when I can nail a seeker missile into the back end of a transport that's trying to hide.

I can also see them being quite useful in either a dense terrain an urban type of board.

juliusb
04-27-2013, 07:43 PM
2x Piranha + 2x Fusion Blasters + 4x Seekers + 2x Blacksun Filters (why not?)
134pts

Even at BS3, 4x Seekers should hit and damage something light armored on turn 1; at least it's worth, ahem, a shot. Then you've got this cheap, fast unit that can hide out to threaten heavy armor etc.; or just go suicide attack a Land Raider. Or, it can aid the rest of the army to get that last wound off of an MC or Uber-unit.

Tynskel
04-27-2013, 11:58 PM
Yeah, I remain underwhelmed by the piranha. In another of my threads, the best anyone could say about them was that they got cheaper, which makes fielding a horde of the little buggers a valid choice. Rush your opponent with a swarm of suicide piranhas, whittle away at heavy infantry and vehicles with fusion blasters, use the time to redeploy the rest of your forces advantageously. Piranhas remain a paradox: lightly armored (I know they're hardier than land speeders, but they still pretty fragile), easy-to-kill vehicles with relatively short-range weaponry, requiring that they get up in their targets' face. The fact that they are now a cheap - and therefore numerous - paradox doesn't make them worth the opportunity cost of not using those points and that Fast Attack slot for pathfinders, or a flyer, or - as Panxer suggests - tetras.

Not only are they cheaper, but they have more firepower. Win Win.

ElectricPaladin
04-28-2013, 12:31 AM
Not only are they cheaper, but they have more firepower. Win Win.

More firepower how? Slightly longer range on the fusion blaster?

Houghten
04-28-2013, 02:57 AM
That, and an extra shot on the burst cannon.

Tynskel
04-28-2013, 07:52 AM
More firepower how? Slightly longer range on the fusion blaster?

Extra shot on the burst cannon, extra range on the fusion gun, and an extra shot per gun drone (+2).

ElectricPaladin
04-28-2013, 10:33 AM
Extra shot on the burst cannon, extra range on the fusion gun, and an extra shot per gun drone (+2).

Huh. I hadn't considered that all that does add up to a lot more firepower.

Uncle Nutsy
04-28-2013, 10:51 AM
That extra range of the fusion blaster puts the piranha out of charge range if you don't try for the 2d6 penetration. So if you're carrying two seeker missiles + the fusion blaster, that's three Str 8 shots from a single piranha, six str8 shots if you take two piranhas. I haven't seen a landraider yet that can survive more than four high strength shots directed to it.

Anyone who scrambles out of said landraider will be caught in the middle of a killzone and become easy pickings for a riptide suit, hammerhead, crisis suits or even firewarriors.

Even if you do manage to get charged somehow in subsequent turns, a point defense targeting relay will make sure your piranhas can overwatch with gun drones.

Tynskel
04-28-2013, 01:45 PM
yeah, going from 5 shots to 8 shots is pretty impressive.

The extension on the fusion blasters, too, is awesome. I think the piranhas have become much better. They aren't overpowering, as their range is still short. However, they are pretty awesome.

Now, I don't agree with the Land Raider Assessment. You need to get in close and use the Melta dice. Str 8 doesn't cut it against land raiders. Str8 2D6 does.

Uncle Nutsy
04-28-2013, 06:55 PM
that's why I suggested pairing the fusion blasters with seeker missiles. you CAN sit 18 inches out and beat one up. Because sometimes the weight of fire outstrips the single 2d6. It's up to you if you want to get that close, but I want to have multiple hits instead of one guaranteed one.

steelwraith
04-30-2013, 04:23 PM
this is a bit off topic but - where the hell does it say tetras have a hvy4 markerlight , my copy of IA3 says it just has a marker light (it is an old copy) what have i missed?

ElectricPaladin
04-30-2013, 04:30 PM
this is a bit off topic but - where the hell does it say tetras have a hvy4 markerlight , my copy of IA3 says it just has a marker light (it is an old copy) what have i missed?

Forgeworld's 6th Edition update.

steelwraith
05-01-2013, 03:42 PM
cheers