PDA

View Full Version : Forge World Horus Heresy Marines question

Kispal
04-24-2013, 09:14 AM
Hi,
Could someone just quickly explain to me the difference between the Legion MkII Crusade Armour:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/LEGION_MKII_CRUSADE_ARMOUR.html

and the MkII Crusade Armour:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-and-Accessories/MK-II-CRUSADE-ARMOUR.html

Sometimes I think I can see different legs or something but then I think it's just the poses. Maybe, I thought, the Legion version comes with an option for Legion-specific shoulder pads (of your choice) but there's no mention of it.

They have the same thing going on for MkIII armour too.

Any ideas?

Wolfshade
04-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Essentially, I believe them to be the same, just the difference between the old FW stuff (pre 30k being released), and the newer Horus Heresey Legion branded stuff

Houghten
04-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Have you tried asking Forge World?

I'm pretty sure they're differently posed but I'm not sure how much of that is due to the inherent posability and how much is moulded in.

Kispal
04-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Two very good points, thanks to you both. I'll drop them a line.

Mr Mystery
04-24-2013, 12:36 PM
There's extra equipment on the Legionnaires.

OrksOrksOrks
04-25-2013, 01:39 AM
And none of the Legion sets have Imperial markings on the armour, some of the other torsos have Aquilas on, which only the EC would have had Pre-Heresy

Kispal
04-25-2013, 05:25 AM
Thanks.

I found this site, which seems to suggest they're the same (at least I can't spot a difference).
http://www.all4wargames.com/index.php?ukey=search&searchstring=MKII+CRUSADE+ARMOUR

I've sent FW a mail and I'll post the answer here when they get back to me.

Cheers.

thomas40kfanboy
04-25-2013, 07:04 AM
There are several differences between the 'Legion' and 'non-Legion' sets
the 'non-Legion' sets only have 2 versions of each body part in them. 3 of one and 2 of the other, most have 2 pairs of legs running and the other 3 are standing still. this carries over for the arms as well. these sets were meant to be mixed in with other 40k era parts, so not much variation was created.
the 'Legion' sets are all unique, meaning you get 5 different pairs of legs and 5 different pairs of arms. along side several different helmet and shoulder pad styles. more evident on the mk4 kit (stubbed shoulder pads and legs, 3 different helmet designs).
these additional legion sets were made due to the amount of MK2,3 and 4 sets that would be in use in a HH army. and we simply wanted more variety than 2 versions.
hope this helps answer your question.

Kispal
04-25-2013, 01:27 PM
That is an excellent and comprehensive answer and exactly what I was after, many thanks! Legion sets it is, then!

AnEnemy
04-25-2013, 10:34 PM
The most important difference between Legion and regular older mark sets is that Legions have redesigned resin run off gates.

The original suit sets were made by someone with absolutely no forethought. They had gate channels running into really awkward places on the models like in between small ridges on power packs etc etc etc. There were parts that made cutting and filing an exercise in model mutilation.

The only way to properly clean them meant that you'd lose at least a bit of detail...with the risk of seriously damaging the integrity of your models.

The Legions armors are much between designed with channels that run off of flat surfaces that are easily clipped and filed.

Kispal
04-26-2013, 08:19 AM
That's very useful to know, thanks, AnEnemy!