PDA

View Full Version : Skaven Take to the Air

Bigred
04-22-2013, 11:53 AM
From the birds in the trees...

Skaven are being worked on and penciled in for 2014.
In particular flying options are being put through their paces.

Editor's note: This goes in line with the 9th rumors we have been hearing of flyers (with lots of new dedicated rules - see 40K 6th) returning to WFB after many editions of absence.

robrodgers46
04-22-2013, 02:31 PM
I only care about flying rat rumors if they imply the Dwarven Zeppelin.

Mr Mystery
04-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Hmm. Might get saline poisoning from that rumour...

Skaven would certainly be queue jumping if they got a new book that soon.... Current book is also still keeping up....

kyfer
04-23-2013, 01:06 AM
I just want to see the resulting ramshackle that is spawned from this. It must be steered by a villainous rat with top hat, monocle, cloak and of course, a twirly moustache. Either that or a gang of Skaven flyboys in bomber jackets and all.

I will be sooo pissed if it is just an abomination that is only flying because it's farting warpstone.

Myrkwell
04-23-2013, 05:12 AM
I'm thinking it has to be a hot air balloon filled with warpstone fumes and Bombardiers hurling poison globes.

bfmusashi
04-23-2013, 07:16 AM
It shall be called... the Pigeon.

eldargal
04-23-2013, 07:25 AM
I hope this is true, though not looking forward to all the whining it will prompt on certain forums that shall remain nameless like Warseer and Dakka Dakka. It makes a lot of sense to have some kind of flyer mechanics in WFB given how it ha worked in 40k. It has always bugged me that dragons and gryphson and such basically had to land each turn in order to be charged. Some kind of zoom (maybe called Soar...) mode would fix that nicely and needing 6s to hit against Zoom/Soaring flyers would go some way to making a lot of them less vulnerable to cannon fire.

Mr Mystery
04-23-2013, 08:28 AM
I hope this is true, though not looking forward to all the whining it will prompt on certain forums that shall remain nameless like Warseer and Dakka Dakka. It makes a lot of sense to have some kind of flyer mechanics in WFB given how it ha worked in 40k. It has always bugged me that dragons and gryphson and such basically had to land each turn in order to be charged. Some kind of zoom (maybe called Soar...) mode would fix that nicely and needing 6s to hit against Zoom/Soaring flyers would go some way to making a lot of them less vulnerable to cannon fire.

Then you risk swinging things the other way.

Flying High simply didn't work, as bagging the first turn with a Dragon effectively handed you the game, as up it went, and then came down and annihilated it's target.... Usually something high value, or the only threat to said big gribbly.

Hitting on 6's brings that issue here.

I'd expect the rules to be a nice balance of things though...

eldargal
04-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Yep, which is why I hope they try hard to make them balanced. Given that these are flying creatures that must be flying lower and slower than 40k flyers in general hitting on 5 & 6 might be better for example. Of course monsters aren't quite the unit stompers they were back when you had Flying High

Wildeybeast
04-23-2013, 02:29 PM
needing 6s to hit against Zoom/Soaring flyers would go some way to making a lot of them less vulnerable to cannon fire.

As an Empire player I was about to complain about that, but then I realised we could give the rocket battery skyfire and therefore make it not totally and utterly sh1t. :D

flekkzo
05-04-2013, 07:06 PM
I just want to see the resulting ramshackle that is spawned from this. It must be steered by a villainous rat with top hat, monocle, cloak and of course, a twirly moustache. Either that or a gang of Skaven flyboys in bomber jackets and all.

I will be sooo pissed if it is just an abomination that is only flying because it's farting warpstone.

This post is so full of win! A madcap contraption built by Skryre filling the skies with green warpstone fumes would be fantastic. Imagine a WW1 biplane with warpstone rockets strapped to the wings with rattling guns firing freely strafing the board with a great big bomb (looking like a tsar bomba) ready to drop on enemies and friends alike. Flown by a warlock engineer in flight goggles and a bomber jacket.

Anything farting and I will be disappointed.