PDA

View Full Version : Ork Warboss conversion question. Ideas and suggestions and is this the right board?

carny
04-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Hello everybody.
Apologies in advance if I am posting in the wrong place.

I am going to start an orky army and this time it is gonna be all different.

IT is gonna be an army that I build, convert and paint from scratch and up.

Every model is going to be picked for the aesthetics (ęstetiks in this case)

The army is challenge to myself as I have a neurological dysfunction impairing my finer motor-skills (basically my fingers shake and I drop things at random)

I picked up warhammer 40k as I am a general nerd and likes big guns and make-believe the worlds, but so far my approach to the hobby side have been limited to making to "easy and fast" (I play tomb kings, necrons and space marines because they are easy and fast to paint and I prefer to pay people to assemble my models).

This time around I want to challenge my motorskills and myself and indulge in an army that is going to be wellpainted and heavily converted (rather than what my friends kindly refer to as "a neoexpressionistic, noncubic tablepunk-standard)

I chose 40k Orks as I like big guns, DAKKA and the colour green :)

My first project is going to be a warboss.
It will be a conversion for the following reasons:

1)I don't like the standards.
2) a warboss is his own ork, if he is not individual, then whats the point.

Before I even start I wonder I need some good bits.

right now I am entertaining the idea of using a fantasy ogre for body and orkifying it with bits from the nob and killakan set.
I am looking at Iron Guts or ogre bulls at the moment, bu are there others who are better suited. I would like my base model to be slightly more dynamic compared to the rather "stale" position of the ogre troop choies
for orky buts:

"ork nobs" - i am probably going to need nob parts eventually and there is bound to be some salvably orky bits ther
"ork killakans" - for armor plates and power klaws and other orky bits.
and some green stuff :)

my questions are:

Which ogre set would be best?
are there any obvious ork sets to harvets for bits.
Are the any third party models I should consider for either "chasis" or "bits.

What are you experiences converting warbosses, traps, tricks, and suggestions?
by the way my loadout (in game terms) will be:
"ork warboss"
combi-scorcha
powerklaw
'eavy armour
cybork body
bosspole

- I am not sure if that is a "good loadout gamewise", but I like to think my warboss s the kind of boss that goes "all in" on gear.

And thank you in advance for any help

Minibem
04-22-2013, 02:11 AM
Don't know much about orks but if you are looking at stocking up on your spares I would recommend looking on ebay and just searching for orks and i am sure that you will find people selling job lots of orks 40k bits.

White Tiger88
04-22-2013, 02:45 AM
IF you want to kitbash any awesome random Ork army..... I got a giant bitz box i can sell or trade ya :P *Cough* But anyhow on topic if you want a big stand alone warboss to inspire fear to your enemys try using one of these kits as a base model

-Broadside (Gives a mecha Look to work with)
-Ogre Kingdoms Slaughtermaster (Already looks orkish, just add plates and weapons of choice!)
-Beastman Doombull (This model with enough work put into a conversion would be amazing looking)

Regardless of what you decide to use take pictures and provide updates this should be interesting!

Edit:Also this thread should be under warhammer 40k painting\modeling projects i think.

OrksOrksOrks
04-22-2013, 02:59 AM
If this is your first foray into wargames, i'd recomment taking it slow, I love da boyz, as you can tell from my username, and I have a pretty vast horde, I'd recomend getting onto eBay or checking local independant stores and seeing if you can pick up the Ork force from the last boxed set Assualt on Black Reach, this is a really good set and will give you a core of Orks to start with, the Warboss in the set is great and as its plastic, is a really good base for conversions, replacing one of the barrels of his shoota with a skorcha from the Loota boys set is really simple, and the rest is good to go, I know you're eager to Kustomise yer ladz but if you're new, painting and assembling minis can be enough of a challenge.

If you want to join in with a community of supportive painters and gamers in the UK, and you want a chance to win some great prizes, including some Orky bitz, join us in the painting Oath group on Facebook, we're set up to run monthly challenges but the rules aren't giving out prizes to the best painters, its giving stuff to the hobbyists who get painting and showing off thier cool minis

http://www.facebook.com/groups/541074439270281/

Slacker
04-22-2013, 10:48 AM
The warboss that comes in the Black Reach box was a neat looking model, but took some work to convert as his body is mostly one piece. I used it for one of my warboss conversions with the head coming from a Black Orc war banner and the power klaw is a wrecking ball from a trukk kit.

I don't know how you feel about working with metal, and I pretty sure that it isn't in Finecast yet, but I also liked using the Ogryn (specifically Bone 'ead) for the base of an ork. Here I made him into a big mek, but he's pretty big and would work for a warboss as well. (forgive the rubbish pic, it's an old one)