PDA

View Full Version : Tau vehicle model changes

Myrkwell
04-21-2013, 11:41 AM
I have unopened Tau Hammerhead and Devilfish box sets. Wondering how different they are from the "new" models that are released. From the pictures online I don't see much difference (if any). Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

SotonShades
04-21-2013, 11:55 AM
The Devilfish hasn't changed I don't believe. The hammerhead itself hasn't changed, only been reboxed to include the sky ray gunship sprue, rather than the sky ray being a separate boxed product.

Myrkwell
04-21-2013, 12:12 PM
I hope you're right! It might be my eyes playing tricks on me but the barrel of the railgun on the hammerhead on the GW sites looks slightly different then the one on my box. Was debating whether to sell or open but if it hasn't changed then I'm going to tear this sucker open and put it together!

Kawauso
04-21-2013, 12:34 PM
It hasn't changed. They just repackaged the Sky Ray and Hammerhead together as a dual-kit rather than keeping them separate - which makes more sense seeing as the Sky Ray came with the Hammerhead components before...don't know why they haven't done this with Razorbacks/Rhinos.

The Devilfish hasn't changed either. You can make it look pretty different now though thanks to the Pathfinder's big drone, which can go in place of the regular cupola on the Devilfish.

Brakkart
04-21-2013, 12:40 PM
don't know why they haven't done this with Razorbacks/Rhinos.

I'm sure they will at some point, but at the moment I kinda like that Rhino's are a bit cheaper, as pretty sure if they do become a dual pack that the Razorback won't come down in price.

Myrkwell
04-21-2013, 02:14 PM
It hasn't changed. They just repackaged the Sky Ray and Hammerhead together as a dual-kit rather than keeping them separate - which makes more sense seeing as the Sky Ray came with the Hammerhead components before...don't know why they haven't done this with Razorbacks/Rhinos.

The Devilfish hasn't changed either. You can make it look pretty different now though thanks to the Pathfinder's big drone, which can go in place of the regular cupola on the Devilfish.

Great! Thanks for the info. Going to try magnetizing the turret to see if I can get multiple configs out of the Hammerhead and maybe try and track down the Sky Ray pieces later.

Guinny
04-22-2013, 08:13 AM
The kit inside the box hasn't changed, but depending on which model was photographed, it may look a bit different to the one on the sprues. When the first Tau codex was being put together, the plastics weren't finished, so Mark Jones used some castings of the original mock-up sculpts, re-sculpted them up to look as close to the three-ups as possible, and made resin casts of them so there were at least some models to be painted for book and packaging photography. Same thing goes for the Battlesuits - all the ones in the first codex were resin.

Which versions of the boxed sets do you have? I've been looking for a set of the original boxes (just the boxes - not worried about he contents) as I painted some of the vehicles (the white/blue/grey ones) but I foolishly got rid of mine and would like a set of them again. If you have those ones and fancy getting rid of them, drop me a line!

Myrkwell
04-22-2013, 08:05 PM
I may have an extra Devilfish box. I'll have to check and see if it's still around in my basement. Here is a pic of the Tau stuff I had that was still sealed.