PDA

View Full Version : Daft Things.

Mr Mystery
04-19-2013, 05:16 AM
Time for a sillier thread, given things getting a little more heated than normal here.

So, Daft Thing #1.

Insurance is intended for the unforseeable occurence. That is Insurance is there to pay out and help you when you suffer something that is either a) not a direct result of your own actions b) Is the result of a third parties actions.

But check your exclusions. Did you know, that the vast, vast majority of insurance policies don't cover you for riot, terrorism, nuclear attack etc? It's true, check it! Now war, fair enough I guess, it would bankrupt any insurance company in an instant. But terrorism/riots? Really? Really really? Seems highly unfair.

And this often applies to life insurance policies. I have one through work, which has set pay outs for injury, including loss of limbs. Those poor sods caught in the Boston bombings? Entirely possible their insurance companies will try to wheedle out based on a similar cause..... Daft huh?

Kirsten
04-19-2013, 05:23 AM
daft things, *edit* in fact seems to be true, it is on apple's own website still
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd380/KirstenIGMB/itunes_license_agreement2_zps13b12040.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/KirstenIGMB/media/itunes_license_agreement2_zps13b12040.jpg.html)

Mr Mystery
04-19-2013, 05:25 AM
Blimey. Though I imagine that mostly refers to the hardware. I remember a rumour going round once that Iran/Iraq/Both were importing vast quantities of PS2's to use the chips as missile guidance.

I think that might count as Daft Thing #3...

Kirsten
04-19-2013, 05:27 AM
should have just imported original xboxs and used them as the missile

daft thing #4 prosecutors for Abu Qatada's deportation case seeking to deny him bail in case he leaves the country...

Wolfshade
04-19-2013, 06:02 AM
#5 Reporting on unknown unknowns.

A certain defence contractor as part of their project reporting, have progress/completion scale for targets against:
1 Known knowns
2 Known unknowns
3 Unknown knowns
4 Unknown unknowns

4 is usally 100% untill something arisies that doesn't fit in 1-3, but as soon as we know what it is it should be either 1 or 2, but is tracked as criteria 4

Psychosplodge
04-19-2013, 06:10 AM
Didn't we have a silly thread till sensible people came along and derailed it with sensible subjects? :rolleyes:

Wildeybeast
04-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Daft thing #6. I have the local reverend (who is in charge of the church next to school) coming in to talk to my GCSE class on Monday. I told them this and I had them prepare questions in advance to ask her. One of them came up with 'do you believe in God?'

DarkLink
04-19-2013, 01:58 PM
At OCS, we had so many of these (though some of them actually had a really good reason behind them that just wasn't immediately obvious). The biggest one I can think of right now was when we bivouaced, we set up all the tents in nice, neat lines on top of a field of mud puddles, when literally about 10 meters away there was a perfectly dry field easily large enough to fit our company.

Also, during classes you'd get in trouble if you fell asleep. Then they'd sometimes assign sleepers essays, except the only time you have to write the essay is at night during lights out when you could be sleeping, so that later that week you'd be even more tired and more likely to fall asleep (though, again, out in the field you'd better not fall asleep on watch, so this wasn't as stupid as it seemed).

That did lead to some pretty funny stuff, though. We'd have group discussion classes in our squad bays led by one of the staff members, and they'd use a stack of footlockers as a podium. Every once and a while, they'd seemingly randomly pick up a foot locker and literally toss it, and it would turn out that someone had started to doze off. Then they'd say something like "next time you fall asleep, I'm throwing it at your head", and get back to the class.

DeadPanda
04-19-2013, 02:32 PM
When I was very young I put armbands around my ankles thinking I would be able to walk on water. Nearly drowned.

Kirsten
04-19-2013, 03:01 PM
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd380/KirstenIGMB/68840_10100376159870013_1889120156_n_zpsb45f5b9a.j pg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/KirstenIGMB/media/68840_10100376159870013_1889120156_n_zpsb45f5b9a.j pg.html)

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd380/KirstenIGMB/533919_10100370303181863_527859315_n_zps57a9ae96.j pg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/KirstenIGMB/media/533919_10100370303181863_527859315_n_zps57a9ae96.j pg.html)

Necron2.0
04-19-2013, 11:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ5k8JZiWnY

My wife says I'm just like Leonard, although sometimes I feel like Sheldon, based on this clip.

Personally, I've only ever seen one episode of this show. It felt ... it hit a bit too close to home, a little uncomfortably close.

spaceman91
04-20-2013, 01:47 AM
I know a few silly things. 1. On a Swedish chainsaw: do not attempt to stop chain with hand. 2. On adults superman costume: wearing this suit does not mean you can fly. 3. On the back of a packet of nuts: caution may contain nuts. That last one i have seen myself.

Mr Mystery
04-20-2013, 03:24 AM
Compensation Culture predates Health and Safety.

Packets of nuts now say they contain nuts, because some Berk with a nut allergy at a packet of nuts and successfully sued the company because they didn't take precautions to ensure someone would reasonably know a packet of nuts might contain nuts....

Kirsten
04-20-2013, 05:33 AM
I am all in favour of removing all warning labels and letting the morons of the world kill themselves, and just ban 99% of all lawsuits.

I am trying to find another awesome pic I have at the moment, but basically it is a man trying to start a chainsaw with the blade clamped between his thighs...

DeadPanda
04-20-2013, 05:36 AM
I am all in favour of removing all warning labels and letting the morons of the world kill themselves, and just ban 99% of all lawsuits.

There would be nobody left. ;)

Mr Mystery
04-20-2013, 06:42 AM
I'd be alright! Though I can't help but notice that my hand blender didn't warn me not to shove it down my trolleys and then switch it on.... Indeed, I don't recall my deep fat dryer advising me not to tea bag the hot oil....

scadugenga
04-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Time for a sillier thread, given things getting a little more heated than normal here.

So, Daft Thing #1.

Insurance is intended for the unforseeable occurence. That is Insurance is there to pay out and help you when you suffer something that is either a) not a direct result of your own actions b) Is the result of a third parties actions.

But check your exclusions. Did you know, that the vast, vast majority of insurance policies don't cover you for riot, terrorism, nuclear attack etc? It's true, check it! Now war, fair enough I guess, it would bankrupt any insurance company in an instant. But terrorism/riots? Really? Really really? Seems highly unfair.

And this often applies to life insurance policies. I have one through work, which has set pay outs for injury, including loss of limbs. Those poor sods caught in the Boston bombings? Entirely possible their insurance companies will try to wheedle out based on a similar cause..... Daft huh?

Actually there's a very good reason for those exclusions.

I work in that industry. Though to be honest, before I started down that career path, I would've thought the same thing.

I'll post actual explanations later, if you really want to know why.

Mr Mystery
04-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Worked in car insurance for a couple of years, and now work for the industry watchdog. I'm sure there is some sense to it, but it does seem grossly unfair.

For instance... London Riots a year or so back. If your car was torched by those scrotes? Civil disturbance, no pay out. But if I decided I was bored, and torched your car for something to do, that's arson and insurance coughs up. Which is ridiculous.

Psychosplodge
04-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Daft thing #6. I have the local reverend (who is in charge of the church next to school) coming in to talk to my GCSE class on Monday. I told them this and I had them prepare questions in advance to ask her. One of them came up with 'do you believe in God?'

Not that silly really, you could quite easily do the actual job without the belief, didn't they appoint an atheist bishop in the CofE in the late eighties early nineties?

It felt ... it hit a bit too close to home, a little uncomfortably close.

Sometimes it does...

There would be nobody left. ;)

natural selection...

White Tiger88
04-22-2013, 12:09 AM
daft things, *edit* in fact seems to be true, it is on apple's own website still
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd380/KirstenIGMB/itunes_license_agreement2_zps13b12040.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/KirstenIGMB/media/itunes_license_agreement2_zps13b12040.jpg.html)

Well damn i was going to find some Rap music to strap inside a Nuke......The music would be worse then the Radiation......

Wildeybeast
04-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Not that silly really, you could quite easily do the actual job without the belief, didn't they appoint an atheist bishop in the CofE in the late eighties early nineties

In theory yes, but its an extremely elaborate deception to go through to get a free house when you could just have a few kids and claim you can't work for some spurious reason. In reality, I suspect anyone without faith would be found out through the training process and removed from the course before they got anywhere near actual ministry. It wasn't a case of the kid actually wondering whether the reverend believed, it was more just them not thinking at all about what they were writing.

Psychosplodge
04-24-2013, 01:37 AM
In theory yes, but its an extremely elaborate deception to go through to get a free house when you could just have a few kids and claim you can't work for some spurious reason. In reality, I suspect anyone without faith would be found out through the training process and removed from the course before they got anywhere near actual ministry. It wasn't a case of the kid actually wondering whether the reverend believed, it was more just them not thinking at all about what they were writing.

Can they actually discriminate like that though?

I knew I'd seen something (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/393479.stm) mentioning it.

Mr Mystery
04-24-2013, 04:29 AM
Another daft thing..... Chairman of the Press Complaints Commission 'Editors' Code of Practice Committee'? Paul Dacre. Editor of the Daily Mail. Ably assisted by Geordie Greig....editor of the Mail of Sunday, the Daily Fascist's stable mate....

And we wonder how the Daily Mail get away with their hate mongering and misrepresentation of facts?

Fizzybubela
04-24-2013, 10:27 AM
I thought this was going to be about Daft Punk's new album. :(

Wolfshade
04-26-2013, 08:07 AM
I'll just leave this here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-22308165

eldargal
04-26-2013, 08:23 AM
That's not that unreasonable.

Mr Mystery
04-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Indeed, it's necessary because some gimp somewhere had a nut allergy, ate a nut, and shock horror had a reaction. But because the packet didn't actually warn said gimp, they did in fact have a case. Chalk one up for unscrupulous, CASHMONIES lawyers....

Wolfshade
04-26-2013, 08:31 AM
It is just that monkey nuts are peanuts, why would you eat them if you were allergic to them.

eldargal
04-26-2013, 08:38 AM
You may not know that monkey nuts are another term for peanuts? I didn't know until relatively recently.

Mr Mystery
04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Also worth pointing out, peanuts/monkey nuts are not, in fact nuts, but edible legumes.

Thus, all the more reason to point out they would trigger your poorly monickered nut allergy.

Wolfshade
04-26-2013, 08:45 AM
I just assumed that everyone knew that monkey nuts were shelled peanuts...

But in terms of poorly named nuts almonds are of the peach family...