PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 Tau - all comers

The Dave
04-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Hey guys! First I'd like to start by saying I designed this list for games at my local game store. I am hoping it will be challenging for my club's competitive guys, fun for the newer guys (and a nice introduction to Tau Firepower lol), but also have most of its bases covered. I intend on running this for a while and even taking it to cons if it performs admirably.

HQ
172 Commander (Missile Pod, Drone Controller, Iridium Armor, Puretide Engram Neurochip, 2 Shield Drones)
50 Ethereal

TROOPS
90 10 Fire Warriors
90 10 Fire Warriors
180 10 Fire Warriors (Devilfish, Point Defense Targeting Relay)
180 10 Fire Warriors (Devilfish, Point Defense Targeting Relay)

ELITES
210 Riptide (Ion Accelerator, Twin Linked Plasma Rifle, Velocity Tracker, Early Warning Override)
171 3 Crisis Suits (Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Counterfire Defense Systems)
171 3 Crisis Suits (Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Counterfire Defense Systems)

FAST ATTACK
88 8 Pathfinders
88 8 Pathfinders

HEAVY SUPPORT
181 Hammerhead (Longstrike, Disruption Pods, Automated Repair System, Blacksun Filter)
327 3 Broadsides (Twin Linked High Yield Missile Pod, Twin Linked Smart Missile System, Velocity Tracker, 6 Missile Drones)

1,998 pts, 4 Scoring Units, 85 models, 3 vehicles
So the Commander attaches to the Broadside unit to make the Missile Drones BS5 and also to give the whole unit Tank Hunters or Monster Hunters if needed (though he'd have to forego shooting of course). He will sit in the front of the unit to absorb shots and he can Look Out Sir to the Shield Drones and then Missile Drones if needed. This unit has a ridiculous amount of shooting, and with Skyfire on the Broadsides, they can put some hurtin' on any flyer that dares to come within 36 inches.

Speaking of which, the Riptide also has Skyfire (and Interceptor) so he can lend Anti-Air fire support or he can plop a S8 (or S9) AP2 Large Blast (along with a S6 AP2 rapid-fire weapon) on anything that arrives from reserves. The Ethereal chills with the Fire Warrior block for Ld 10 and Invocation shenanigans, and the Devilfish have Supporting Fire too thanks to their upgrade. The Crisis Suits are my main heavy armor/elite infantry hunters and can fire overwatch at BS2, and then my two Pathfinder units are at the perfect unit size in my opinion. 8 Pathfinders firing Markerlights at BS3 means roughly 4 should hit. Another unit can then use 2 Markerlights to remove all cover from the target unit, and then use the remaining 2 to increase their BS by 2.

And then we come to the Hammerhead. I figured if I'm going to take one, it's going to be the mighty Rail Cannon at BS5 and a re-roll on armor penetration rolls, and to protect that hefty investment I'd make sure it can always see the board (ignoring Night Fight) and be able to potentially repair its main weapon should it get destroyed.

Well, what do you guys think?

Sonikgav
04-19-2013, 05:42 AM
2 quick points.

Hammerhead - Longstrike already has a Blacksun Filter. Its only 1 point but still...

Drone Controllers dont work with Missile Drones. Its in the item description. Sniper, Gun and Marker Drones only.

Tynskel
04-19-2013, 06:43 AM
You really should add drones.
They are vital to the safety of the squads.

1) T4: eventually, you might have majority toughness
2) I4: no brain-er. I2 cannot run from combat, but I4 can. Use highest I in test.
3) vectored thrusters: see #2.

Minibem
04-19-2013, 07:10 AM
I know I am a noob and haven't read the new codex but no Kroot or hand to hand troops? I take it you intend to shoot them off the board?

gcsmith
04-19-2013, 11:38 AM
I know I am a noob and haven't read the new codex but no Kroot or hand to hand troops? I take it you intend to shoot them off the board?

Kroot are more of a shooting unit than a combat one. In fact all Tau units are better at shooting than combat.

The Dave
04-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Nope. I prefer Fire Warriors instead of Kroot, just personal preference. And yes, Tau don't typically prefer Hand to Hand, so that is usually the goal lol.

2 quick points.

Hammerhead - Longstrike already has a Blacksun Filter. Its only 1 point but still...

Drone Controllers dont work with Missile Drones. Its in the item description. Sniper, Gun and Marker Drones only.

Derp. Thanks for that. So after dropping BSF on the Hammerhead and Drone Controller on the Commander, I'll have 11 total points free (the list was at 1,998). I could make that another Pathfinder for exactly 2k...

So after those changes, any thoughts? I just got the rest of my Tau today so I'll be building it all and running this list tomorrow at my LGS. :)

Shas'O Alohcry
04-19-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm 90% sure that you can still shoot using the Puretide Engram. Not got my codex but I'm sure the only Don't shoot to use equipment is the Re-roll to hit and the ignore cover ones (which don't work together)

The Dave
04-19-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm 90% sure that you can still shoot using the Puretide Engram. Not got my codex but I'm sure the only Don't shoot to use equipment is the Re-roll to hit and the ignore cover ones (which don't work together)

I think you may be right. I'll certainly check though. :)

The Dave
04-20-2013, 10:58 AM

Just looked this up, Longstrike does NOT have a Blacksun Filter, so now that I made the list 2k, I'm going to add that back in and make it 2,001 points. :P

Tynskel
04-20-2013, 11:35 AM
I still think you should add drones.
They can seriously help your squads.
I4 is nothing to sniffle at!

Anggul
04-20-2013, 04:09 PM
I don't think I would buy the Riptide a Velocity Tracker. It doesn't have the right kind of shooting to do much to flyers, it's good against ground targets because big scary template, but against Flyers you'll only be firing three S7 shots and one or two S6 shots at BS3 which just isn't likely to accomplish much and is a waste of the damage it can deal against heavy infantry with the S8 AP2 large blast.

The Broadsides should take care of anti-air just fine by themselves, that's a lot more S7 shots and re-rolls to hit.

Sonikgav
04-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Just looked this up, Longstrike does NOT have a Blacksun Filter, so now that I made the list 2k, I'm going to add that back in and make it 2,001 points. :P

Yes, he does. Its part if the battlesuit hes wearing not actually Longstrike himself.

Sonikgav
04-22-2013, 07:36 AM
I don't think I would buy the Riptide a Velocity Tracker. It doesn't have the right kind of shooting to do much to flyers, it's good against ground targets because big scary template, but against Flyers you'll only be firing three S7 shots and one or two S6 shots at BS3 which just isn't likely to accomplish much and is a waste of the damage it can deal against heavy infantry with the S8 AP2 large blast.

The Broadsides should take care of anti-air just fine by themselves, that's a lot more S7 shots and re-rolls to hit.

Id agree with this. I run A similar Riptide, 2 infact but only cos I dont use Broadsides in that particular list. The Broadsides are plenty of Anti-Air threat. The advantage to the Riptide is that it can use Skyfire AND Interceptor but with the Salvo-Sides already in your list id keep Interceptor and add Stim Injector on the Rip.

Tynskel
04-22-2013, 11:42 AM
interceptor and Counter-Fire Defense System works well, too. Although, the Counter-Fire is better with the Heavy Burst Cannon due to volume of shots, rather than the ion cannon. Or if you go Ion Cannon, combine with Plasma Rifle. 5 shots at BS2 AP2 is nothing to sniffle at when Overwatch is activated.

Bye the way, Burst Cannon + SMS + double secondary weapon fire = 16 shots, 8 twin-linked/ignore cover. Shooting that twice (once in shooting phase and once in overwatch) is pretty devastating.

The Dave
04-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Yes, he does. Its part if the battlesuit hes wearing not actually Longstrike himself.
Lol, no he doesn't. Longstrike isn't in a suit. He's the tiny guy who rides in the Hammerhead. I'm not talking about Farsight or Shadowsun.

interceptor and Counter-Fire Defense System works well, too. Although, the Counter-Fire is better with the Heavy Burst Cannon due to volume of shots, rather than the ion cannon. Or if you go Ion Cannon, combine with Plasma Rifle. 5 shots at BS2 AP2 is nothing to sniffle at when Overwatch is activated.

Bye the way, Burst Cannon + SMS + double secondary weapon fire = 16 shots, 8 twin-linked/ignore cover. Shooting that twice (once in shooting phase and once in overwatch) is pretty devastating.

After having played a few games with a few different lists, I'm inclined to agree that the Ion Accelerator doesn't hold up against flyers as much as 12 rending S6 AP4 shots does (Nova-charged Heavy Burst Cannon). In my newer lists, I'm running 2x of that Broadside team and 2x Riptides (he was the MVP of the last few games I played while the Crisis suits sort of just got shot down from various units). :D

Sparky
04-26-2013, 04:13 AM
Lol, no he doesn't. Longstrike isn't in a suit. He's the tiny guy who rides in the Hammerhead. I'm not talking about Farsight or Shadowsun.

Page 62: Signature System, XV02 Pilot Battlesuit: First line after the fluff.

It's there, check for yourself.

The Dave
04-26-2013, 04:24 AM
Page 62: Signature System, XV02 Pilot Battlesuit: First line after the fluff.

It's there, check for yourself.

Okay, I'm dumb. Can't believe I missed that large white box. It makes Longstrike worth it IMO, didn't know he can fire Overwatch multiple times either. Excellent.

Thank you, and sorry Sonikgrav, you were right, I apologize.