PDA

View Full Version : Heresy Era Deathguard Army/tactics

brian1348
04-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Hello, I'm starting up a deathguard army using Betrayal and i'm looking for comments on way to make the list fluffier, better (if its going to get tabled), or just in general if anyone wants to share their betrayal lists and discuss tactics.

The rough outline of the list:

Praetor w/ Archaeotech Pistol, Paragon Blade, and Iron Halo

5 Deathshroud as a bodyguard for the praetor w/ melta bombs

Moritat w/ dual plasma pistols, artificer armor, refractor field

10 Destroyers, 2x rad missile launchers, 2x phosphex bombs, artificer armor for the sergeant, melta bombs (joined by the moritat and will outflank)

5 Destroyers, 1x rad missile launchers, 1x phospehx bombs, rhino

Contemptor Dreadnought, dual kheres assault cannons

2x apothecaries (will join the siege breachers and tacticals)

15 Siege Breachers, 3x Graviton Guns

20 man legion tactical squad w/ vexilla

Legion Vindicator w/ Machine spirit

Heavy Support Squad w/ 5x lascannons

Heavy Support Squad w/ 5x ML's

I think a lot of points are sunk into the destroyers, but they are super fluffy for the deathguard, and I think they can really put a hurt on units outflanking with the moritat. Some ideas I have for them is to put the moritat with the smaller squad, because it seems like the moritat can kill anything outright and putting him with the larger squad wastes rad missiles and the extra destroyers on the charge, and then stuff the 10 man in the rhino. alternatively jumpacks for the larger squad? is 7.5 points per destroyer then which is super cheap and the ability to have them DS near an opponent toss phosphex and rad missiles in their face is devastating.

I'm thinking about adding a siege breaker and medusa w/ phosphex shells for larger point games, but I'm worried that the list doesn't have enough AT power as is.

Thoughts?

StarWarsDoug
04-17-2013, 03:43 PM
Iirc your praetor must be in terminator armor for the death shroud to be taken as a body guard unit.

Taking a seigebreaker and putting him in a unit of autocannons with the augury scanner...plus the medusas. You should have AT covered. But if you need more add a unit of bikes or attack bikes with melta. Fast and really hard hitting, plus survivable.

Or a unit of 6 outriders with chem flamers. Big fast moving threat that has to be dealt with, thus ignoring your other threats...

And get a project log going so we can see em.

brian1348
04-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. The siegebreaker with the autocannon squad is pretty awesome and I also think the medusas fit well with the death guard aesthetic.

I'm in the planning/ saving stage at the moment, but i'll be sure to get one going once I get started!

Bigred
04-18-2013, 09:09 PM
I agree with stick on needing at least one fast moving maneuver element. I prefer either an attack bike squad with MMs, or a speeder squadron with max HBs.

I think Destroyers are great but they are super pricy and fragile. You might want a single squad in a rhino so you can get them to your target reliably.

I also found heavy support squads really pricy and fragile. I'd consider dropping the LCs and bulk up the flexible MLs and give them a defense line.

Also pics - all fellow Death Guard Legionaries should offer up pics! :)