PDA

View Full Version : The Punisher, is it useful?

Dorsai
04-14-2013, 10:41 AM
So I recently started using An LR Punisher with heavy Bolter sponsons and Heavy stubber. When run in a squadron, they chew their way through squads quickly. But I'm not sure if they are really going to pan out for the long term. Got any ideas on just how useful they will be in the long run?

I had been using Executioners with multi-meltas. But looking at my local meta, I'm thinking I need the volume of fire over the AP2.

Kirsten
04-14-2013, 10:51 AM
invaluable in my opinion, good strength, plenty of shots, useful for all sorts of targets. All the russ variants are good, but a bad scatter can cost you any damage for a turn. rolling twenty dice really takes out some of that risk. volume of fire is great for things like terminators and monstrous creatures who would only take one wound from a template.

Tyrendian
04-14-2013, 11:40 AM
yeah... which variant is best depends mainly on your meta... the best generalist variants imo are the Standard and Executioner - both of which do well enough against hordes, MEQ, light vehicles and in the case of the Executioner even TEQ and MCs... against heavy vehicles you'd want Vanquishers or even Demolishers (the latter of which demolish most anything except MCs, but at such short range that they are easier to take out in return)...

I've never really grown to love/fear the Punisher quite as much as other variants to be honest, mainly because of the sheer amount of dice that "fail" with every shooting phase - 50% on to-hit, another 17-33% on to-wound and then a wide array of figures, most often 66% or more for me and my meta, from saves (lots of Marines)... now I know the Punisher compensates that with the Orky amount of shots it fires, it's purely a stupid psychological failing on my part, but I like it better when I place a pie plate of death and most of what's under that vanishes - and also it makes for some excellent banter when such a shot goes wide, while that's far less likely with the Punisher...
Now, I don't know if anyone understood what I just rambled on about... but anyways - in my opinion all (or most... I never quite understood the Conqueror... looses way too much power on its main cannon for my taste, but feel free to explain it to me...) the variants have their place and are mainly a matter of taste and likely matchups.

Shotgun Justice
04-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Now, I don't know if anyone understood what I just rambled on about... but anyways - in my opinion all (or most... I never quite understood the Conqueror... looses way too much power on its main cannon for my taste, but feel free to explain it to me...) the variants have their place and are mainly a matter of taste and likely matchups.

Conqueror doesn't fire Ordnance, meaning taking sponsons on it is worthwhile - especially since it's 48" range meshes better with the hull or sponson options. It is quite a good ride for Pask with it's smaller blast and more guns rolling on BS. Add in the co-axial and it's nicely accurate. It with plasma cannons and heavy bolter or lascannon for preference is a tidy amount of nasty firepower. For the same reasons I like the look of the Eradicator although I've never used it.

As to the utility of the Punisher, I find rolling that many dice just plain fun (although it's even more fun when twin-linked and BS4 on a Vulture). A single Punisher buffed with Telepathy is great craic.

KriegXXIX
04-14-2013, 06:59 PM
I have generally found that the best platform for the punisher cannons is on a Vulture Gunship. The speed & maneuverabilty of the Vulture alows you as the player to control where the casualties come from by playing the angles. I just don't think a Russ is the best platform for the weapon. I generally use the Exterminator for my dakka tank purposes because it is cheaper and is useful against a greater variety of targets. Also a surprisingly good platform for Pask. Having a pair of LR Punishers might be good for an army build needing torrent of fire that can't be gotten elsewhere but you might want to leave off sponsons to save points for other tools you are going to need.

Learn2Eel
04-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Given everyone else has already said the rest of what I was going to say, I will also point out that Pask makes for an excellent addition to a Punisher.

Kirsten
04-14-2013, 07:59 PM
I like to use two punishers without any upgrades, sponsons etc. moving as a pair rolling down a flank, keep moving, keep both firing the punisher cannon, forty dice on a target usually does the job. Even better when combined with a few vultures with punisher cannons, throwing 80 dice around, half twin linked, leaves no enemies standing.

Tynskel
04-14-2013, 08:54 PM
hahah! That's pretty scary!

Wolfshade
04-15-2013, 01:33 AM
Don't forget to add Pask for extra fun :)

Mr Mystery
04-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Also ideal for winkling out enemies hiding in cover. When yo got no AP, it don't matta chamoan!

Dorsai
04-15-2013, 06:26 PM
I ran a squadron of two with Pask in one. The squadron mulched a stealth suit squad in cover. So I really am getting happy with them. I have so many other anti armor options, I think I need to think of ways to continue to mulch infantry units. So, I think I am going to continue to try these things out. After all, 2+ armor is all well and good, but when five termies have to make 15 saves, it is bound to have casualties.

rtmaitreya
04-17-2013, 01:53 AM
I ran a squadron of two with Pask in one. The squadron mulched a stealth suit squad in cover. So I really am getting happy with them. I have so many other anti armor options, I think I need to think of ways to continue to mulch infantry units. So, I think I am going to continue to try these things out. After all, 2+ armor is all well and good, but when five termies have to make 15 saves, it is bound to have casualties.

The terrible range of punishers is what keeps me from being remotely interested in using them. I came across an idea, however, to use Creed to grant a scout move to a trio of hellhound chassis vehicles up. You can be laying down serious flame and melta deep into the enemy backfield on turn 1. Could a similar tactic be used to turn a pair of punishers into something more useful? Moving 12" before the game starts can kick off your action if you have first turn. Chances are any enemy will have placed their infantry FAR from the punishers, so on turn 1 you have the option to move up to engage, or just stand still and get Pask's tankhunter. I suspect this first-turn use alone will pay for Creed's steep point cost.

RTM

Dorsai
04-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Actually, I had thought of using Creed to outflank that squadron. The LR being a heavy can only move 6 inches, never able to move further. But having to worry about those things appearing on you back line would, and should, worry any opponent. But I really think Creed is only useful when you get up to 2k points or more. Locally, we have been playing more like 1k or 1500 pt games. They go faster and we can get more in per day.

And yes, I tend to like having longer range weapons, but I also look at the effectiveness of the weapon. The demolisher, I have never liked. Yes it is strong, but it is such a magnet for fire that its range becomes a hindrance. I can get the same strength blast out a Manticore and drop it on the enemy's back line from my own back line. But the Punisher seems to do very well at its shorter range. So I'm thinking I might start making more use of them.