PDA

View Full Version : 2K Aggressive Deathwing/Ravenwing

Shadoq
04-11-2013, 03:49 AM
I will admit upfront, this list doesn't really take in to account flyers. I haven't been back and playing long enough to really see what the prevalence of flyers on the local seen is though...

What do y'all think of this?:
-Belial-190
-Deathwing Com Sqd w/ Champion and Company Banner X5 -4 SS/TH, 1 CML, 1 Halberd-315
-Deathwing Squad X10-5 TH/SS, 5 PF/SB, 2 CML-515
-Deathwing Squad X6- 3 LC, 3 TH/SS-279
-Deathwing Knights X6-5 Mace/SS, 1 Flail/SS-281
-Ravenwing Black Knights X5- 210
-Ravenwing Black Knights X5- 210

Idea here is that the Knights scout boost in to good position to use their homers on turn 1. Belial either pulls the big squad in or the Command squad and then everyone hopefully survives a wave of shooting on bottom of turn 1 or top of turn 2 and is in a good position for assault. Lots of ifs but with 27 Termies on the board plus the 10 Knights might be succesful.

Thoughts?

Firecrest
04-11-2013, 05:37 AM
At 2k points don't you need 2 core HQ choices as that is the point for double FOC shenanigans. It would also mean 4 core troop choices also.

Power Klawz
04-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I would think that against the wrong army you could be tabled at the end of the first player turn with only 10 black knights on the board. Other than that obvious weakness I probably wouldn't go so hard on the close combat angle. One of the really devastating things about deathwing in comparison to other TEQ is that they get twin linked weapons the turn they deep strike. You're really kind of throwing that bonus out the window by doubling down on all melee termies without so much as an assault cannon in sight. Once they teleport in terminators aren't exactly known for their maneuverability, The obvious counter to this force is running away from the terminators while prioritizing the black knights to be killed first before they can tie your units up in combat and give the terminators a chance to catch up. Since you're probably not going to pull off a turn one charge against any opponent who has deployed properly, those 10 knights are going to get blasted by the entire army while your termies get kited around and shot to pieces over the next 5 turns, and in response all you can do is plink away with your 5 storm bolters.

I think I'd turn the large terminator squad into a shooting oriented unit with more storm bolters, an assault cannon and either a plasma cannon or a second assault cannon. I'd probably also remove the smaller deathwing unit with lightning claws and hammers since the DW knights kind of make them redundant. With those points freed up you can maybe pick up something a bit more numerous to hold objectives. It just seems that going straight vanilla-chocolate-swirl-wing is going to make your tactics both obvious and easy to counter, you're basically a one trick pony that is hoping your opponent just stands there and waits for 20 some odd angry terminators to barrel into them.