PDA

View Full Version : German/Italian Games Day Rumors - Confirmed

Zaphod Beeblebrox
04-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Hey guys!

I got hands on an internal GW document and would like to share the information therein:

1. Games Day Italy and Germany will be held.
2. Games Day Germany will take place on August 11th, in the same old location in Cologne.
3. Tickets will be 50€ instead of 35€.
4. Neither the T-Shirt NOR the GD miniature will be included in the ticket! (That explains the price hike, I guess)
5. Tickets will be limited to 2000 for the event.
6. Tickets will go on sale on April 20th (stores & web)

The date for GD Italy I don't know yet.
GD Japan will be held on September 23rd btw (not part of the memo).

So that is basically all the relevant information. If you are interested in the full memo (beware: WALL of text), you can check out these two blog entries:
Part 1: Internal Memo (http://masterminis.blogspot.de/2013/04/games-day-germany-august-11-2013-but.html)
Part 2: Staff briefing (http://masterminis.blogspot.de/2013/04/games-day-germany-2013-part-ii.html)

So, will we meet in Cologne?

Tyrendian
04-11-2013, 04:01 AM
hmmm for that price I honestly don't know... an almost 50% increase for nothing? meh...

musical-fool
04-11-2013, 09:15 AM
My local staff confirmed internal rumours of certain certainty that GD France will not be happening

krittoris
04-14-2013, 05:03 AM
what a ****ing joke GW

someone get these guys outta here and someone decent take over this company. the nerve on these scumbags.

gcsmith
04-14-2013, 06:18 AM
what a ****ing joke GW

someone get these guys outta here and someone decent take over this company. the nerve on these scumbags.

So based on no proof you're going to call them scumbags?

eldargal
04-14-2013, 06:24 AM
what a ****ing joke GW Germany.
Fixed that for you.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Hold on.... What is it that people are objecting to here?

Cpt Codpiece
04-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Hold on.... What is it that people are objecting to here?

almost doubling the entry fee i think.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Damn these non-compulsory events and their asking prices nobody needs to actually stump up!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-14-2013, 04:49 PM
GD Japan will be held on September 23rd btw (not part of the memo).

Woooooooo! Go Japan!
23rd September is the best day ever....

Also, I agree with Mystery. It is not compulsory to attend these events, if you can't afford it, don't go. SIMPLES.

Lexington
04-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Damn these non-compulsory events and their asking prices nobody needs to actually stump up!
Erm, yes? Presumably, people would like to go to Games Day, but won't be, due to the high asking price (not to mention the plummeting quality of the event, if it's anything resembling US GD), and are discussing this on a forum dedicated to the topic of Games Workshop.

Is this hard?

Defenestratus
04-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Is this hard?

Lex, you know that the GW Apologist Squad's batphone rings off the hook anytime someone dares to question the judgement of the 'shop.

Its their duty to protect and defend not only the decisions, but the motives behind every GW action.

Yes, they have badges.

Mr Mystery
04-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Gents, you are aware of how capitalism works yes?

You want x. I have x. I will sell to you at a price of my choosing. You can either pay said price, or go without?

Price is the price is the price. It's nothing to get cut up about until that which you cannot afford is a requirement of existence. Like food, warmth and shelter.

Tickets to an event? First world problems eh? Might I suggest finding a better job?

Kirsten
04-15-2013, 05:26 AM
that is not fair though, it is perfectly reasonable to be disappointed that you cannot afford to go to something. That is a huge price hike and will come as a big surprise to a lot of people who planned to attend. you cannot simply write it off like that.

eldargal
04-15-2013, 05:31 AM
I'm not exactly anti-GW but a 50% ticket hike and the removal of freebies is plain silly. If you are going to raise the price you need to at least give the impression that you can justify the price. Going to a bunch of seminars and speaking to GW staff isn't worth 50EU on its own.

DrLove42
04-15-2013, 05:37 AM
Now I'm going to the BL Weekender i'm not planning on going to UK GD this year.

For me the only thing to go to GD for is to speak to the FW staff and buy FW without the postage cost....

Mr Mystery
04-15-2013, 05:53 AM
I wanted to go see the Rolling Stones at the O2. Ticket price made say 'no ta'.

Yet I didn't martyr myself all over the internets, or call for peoples head? Price is what the price is. Pay it or don't, there is little room to whinge.

krittoris
04-15-2013, 07:26 AM
GW can raise its prices all it wants.

my recasters price remains low for eternity.

DrLove42
04-15-2013, 07:32 AM

I'll be interested to see how your illegal morally bankrupt recaster copies a ticket to an event....

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
EG, you never go to Games Day anyway. :p

Deadlift
04-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Never really enjoyed either time I went to games day, its ok for kids I guess and for those who like to queue up 4 hours to buy something from FW that's released the next week anyway. But it's not for me. GW are great at producing models but IMHO suck at putting on events like GD.

AnEnemy
04-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Perhaps its different in other countries, but I'm willing to bet it's not. I've gone to the last two US Games Days. I was unimpressed with how GD '11 was organized. It was haphazard, but it must be said that I enjoyed myself enough to go again last year. GW may have had huge lines every where, but they were earnest and provided content.

Last year's GD was not worth $25. They had clearly spent less than the previous year as FW no longer had a conference room, but was instead showcased behind a few blankets next to the main doors. They didn't even attempt some sort of theme like the previous Carnival of Chaos. I felt as if I was walking around in a hospice. Perhaps I'm just cynical, but it also appeared that the "Make And Take" tables were reduced. I was turned away from two separate schedulings so...bias? Maybe...maybe not. Their biggest draw and line was for Armies on Parade and Golden Demon. How the **** does that work? Disney doesn't need it's customers to provide the most interesting content at Disney World. I guess GW didn't make that connection while extensively researching their entertainment model.

Now, if I'm to be lead to believe that they are doubling the price, limiting ticket sales, removing value from the ticket, and moving the venue for the US GD closer to their own US HQs to reduce their costs then who are any of you to even argue that this sounds like a good thing for fans?

Then again maybe this year's round of GDs will blow people away. That could happen too. Hope it does. I'll have to read about it on the internet.

Necron2.0
04-18-2013, 02:04 PM

I'll be interested to see how your illegal morally bankrupt recaster copies a ticket to an event....

An interesting philosophical question, because I'm not sure who the real villian would be here.

Before I go further, let me just say that in my youth I was a bonifide Anarchist. I took Thoreau's essay on Civil Disobedience to heart and tried to live by it as much as possible, subverting each and every law that didn't align with my own personal moral code. Although reformed, I still hold the fundamental belief that laws written by governments are almost always diametrically opposed to natural moral laws. The laws of governments exist for one reason and one reason only, and that is to deprive the citizenry of self-determination. No matter how well wrapped in the trappings of virtue and honor, at its core governmental regulation is just a disease-ridden whore.

So, within that framework, perhaps you can understand why I might chuckle slightly at moral indignation in support of a fat, wealth-mongering, monopolistic institution whose business model incorporates strong elements of exploitation and government backed protectionism. If this were true capitalism, after all, the only driving issue would be who can produce the best quality to meet the consumer's demand. I have some experience with the economics of manufacturing and with the production of miniatures. GW does overprice their products ... by a lot. If it were not so, recasting wouldn't be so feasible. In the face of that, is GW the victim? Is the recaster some evil worm sapping the strength from beleaguered working stiffs? Or is the recaster a champion of the common man, wresting self-determination for the masses from a clutching, clawing, soulless industrial machine? Naturally, neither, but to which side of the spectrum does the truth really lie?

Tilt
04-22-2013, 10:19 PM
The 2000 tickets thing is just a faux limited mechanism to get you to order right away. In the US in the past space and tickets where magically found just days before the event.

There is nothing wrong with complaining when something is perceived to not be worth its value. It is done all the time with gas, movie tickets, cable tv, property taxes, electricity costs in the summer, concert tickets and many other things.

Games Days over all are terrible compared to other gaming events. Not much to really do at them. FW drives them due to the ticket cost being near to shipping costs to get the FW crack from oversees.

Tynskel
04-22-2013, 10:53 PM
An interesting philosophical question, because I'm not sure who the real villian would be here.

Before I go further, let me just say that in my youth I was a bonifide Anarchist. I took Thoreau's essay on Civil Disobedience to heart and tried to live by it as much as possible, subverting each and every law that didn't align with my own personal moral code. Although reformed, I still hold the fundamental belief that laws written by governments are almost always diametrically opposed to natural moral laws. The laws of governments exist for one reason and one reason only, and that is to deprive the citizenry of self-determination. No matter how well wrapped in the trappings of virtue and honor, at its core governmental regulation is just a disease-ridden whore.

So, within that framework, perhaps you can understand why I might chuckle slightly at moral indignation in support of a fat, wealth-mongering, monopolistic institution whose business model incorporates strong elements of exploitation and government backed protectionism. If this were true capitalism, after all, the only driving issue would be who can produce the best quality to meet the consumer's demand. I have some experience with the economics of manufacturing and with the production of miniatures. GW does overprice their products ... by a lot. If it were not so, recasting wouldn't be so feasible. In the face of that, is GW the victim? Is the recaster some evil worm sapping the strength from beleaguered working stiffs? Or is the recaster a champion of the common man, wresting self-determination for the masses from a clutching, clawing, soulless industrial machine? Naturally, neither, but to which side of the spectrum does the truth really lie?

You need to read Rawls, 1971...

Denzark
04-23-2013, 03:49 AM
To go slightly (well OK very) I am intrigued by Necron 2.0's concept of 'natural moral laws'. In nature, the strongest survive. Origin of the species and all that. That means, if we act according to nature, me and all the others who are in the armed forces , thus with our hands on the guns, would naturally be obligated to surpress nasty crusty swampy hippies, lefties and anarchists, with extreme prejudice.

Nature being nature I don't think there is 'natural morality' as instinct is ammoral (if there is such a word). I think Necron 2.0 is being slightly oxymoronic. Natural 'laws' is not something an ex-bona fide anarchist should worry about.

PS like MM or whoevers comment about Stones tickets and prices.