PDA

View Full Version : Pew pew!!!!

Mr Mystery
04-09-2013, 06:18 AM
IMMAFIREMALAZOR! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22076705)

Very interesting stuff!

By the way....USA.... Naval ship...USS Ponce? Really? Really really???

eldargal
04-09-2013, 06:20 AM
USS Ponce, how utterly brilliant.

Mr Mystery
04-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Does that make it a Poncey Laser?

Does this mean we can say 'what you gonna do? Fire your poncey laser at me?'

Why America? Why? You invent something as cool as a working laser cannon (PEW!)...and then name a ship Ponce?

Dear dear dear!

Wolfshade
04-09-2013, 06:34 AM
It has been on the works for ages.

Boeing are trying to make one mounted on an aeroplane, unfortunately the 'plane needs to be Jumbojet size (747 or larger) which means that a smaller target should be able to out manoeuver the laser of death.

In other news the americans are also working on Railguns for ships, though I though I think they should be Rail Cannon.

Mr Mystery
04-09-2013, 06:36 AM
I'm interested to hear about the advantages of these. Granted it would be largely silent (unless you're on the ship, as generators tend to make noise). But other than simply being cool (which in my book is plenty reason enough!), can it achieve something more conventional weapons can't?

Magpie
04-09-2013, 06:37 AM
I think Ponce is a town in the US ? (Edit: yep it's a town in Puerto Rico )

Again see how we have the same words but are miles apart in meaning.

Mr Mystery
04-09-2013, 06:38 AM
THERE'S A TOWN OF PONCES?

This r get bettar!

Kirsten
04-09-2013, 06:55 AM
I though I think they should be Rail Cannon.

so you can stand on deck waving a cutlass and shout 'BROADSIDE! FIRE!" ?

Wolfshade
04-09-2013, 06:55 AM
I'm interested to hear about the advantages of these. Granted it would be largely silent (unless you're on the ship, as generators tend to make noise). But other than simply being cool (which in my book is plenty reason enough!), can it achieve something more conventional weapons can't?

The biggest advantage is that it travels at the speed of light which is a huge boon and makes interception time tiny.
The other advantage and again this is huge is that it is without recoil. Not too much of a problem with ships but when light weight fighters are firing weapons at full rate it can have an appreicable effect on the plane causing a wobble which can effect target lock. Other advantages of it being massless is that it doesn't suffer from bullet drop (though anyone who has had any marksmen training can adjust for this, and indeed weapons lock systems do this automatically as well).

Also: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/09/star_trek_phaser_auction/

Wolfshade
04-09-2013, 06:56 AM
so you can stand on deck waving a cutlass and shout 'BROADSIDE! FIRE!" ?

I am begining to suspect that you know me far too well...

Kirsten
04-09-2013, 06:57 AM
I am begining to suspect that you know me far too well...

*shrug* it is what I'd do...

Wolfshade
04-09-2013, 07:01 AM
*shrug* it is what I'd do...

We have also had a conversation very similiar to one I've had with someone else in the past (with regard to buscuitiii)

The other big big big advantage is operational cost, let us ignore the initial outlay at the moment as this is still prototype technology, a sustained laser beem costs about $1, whereas the cost of a short-range interceptor missile estimates around $1.4m apiece. (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/world/navy-deploying-laser-weapon-prototype-in-persian-gulf.html?_r=1&)

eldargal
04-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Of course these things only work if your geopolitical rivals attack you conventionally as opposed to sponsoring third parties to do so. Not much use against insurgents or terrorists. Nifty though.

Kirsten
04-09-2013, 07:05 AM
the important thing is we are now a step closer to real life Red Alert...

eldargal
04-09-2013, 07:08 AM
the important thing is we are now a step closer to real life Red Alert...
When you put it like that, expense justified.

Mr Mystery
04-09-2013, 07:13 AM
I see no Tesla weapons....... Not Red Alert enough! Back to the drawing board with you. Now!

Wildeybeast
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM

Since when was Puerto Rico part of the US?

lobster-overlord
04-09-2013, 08:07 PM

Meh! You're just bitter about Hong Kong.

Brakkart
04-09-2013, 09:02 PM

From Wikipedia:

In 1898, Spain ceded the archipelago, as well as the Philippines, to the United States as a result of its defeat in the Spanish-American War under the terms of the Treaty of Paris of 1898. Since then Puerto Rico has remained under United States rule.

scadugenga
04-09-2013, 10:37 PM
It's been a Territory of he US for over 100 years.

As of December, when they had a referendum where 60% or so of the inhabitants preferred statehood to being a Territory, Obama encouraged the Senate to review the request.

Mr Mystery
04-09-2013, 11:58 PM
There was a Spanish Amercan war?

I did not know that. But I guess it explains Zorro and that.

Wolfshade
04-10-2013, 01:52 AM
There was a Spanish Amercan war?

I did not know that. But I guess it explains Zorro and that.

It all came about when America intervened in the "Cuban war for independence" or Cuban Revolt depending which side of teh fence you sit. USS Maine failed to observe proper protocol and sailed into Havan Harbour where it sank because the internal magazine caught fire, though whether this was because of external or internal forces it remains a mystery. This lead to them entering the fray.

DWest
04-12-2013, 11:08 AM

!Warning! Useless factoid approaching !Warning!
"Ponce" is the Spanish word for "Prince", and was originally deployed as UK slang for a pimp, which then slid into the current meaning of "a person of dubious fashion sense and/or character".

Dlatrex
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
In 2011 the USN showed off a laser that could ignite a small target in a turbulent sea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1T0nMkHUAE

I don't know enough about the programs to know if these are two entirely separate systems or related. I do remember hearing that recent war-games showed that 'laser' weapons particularly mounted on small aircraft did not seem to be that big a game changer. They contrasted that with the models that included UVA's and drones which seemed to have a much more significant impact in the games.

Getting back to Red Alert, as far as Tesla (http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/06/27/army-looks-to-strike-foes-with-lightning-weapon/?intcmp=features)-style weapons go....

Chronowraith
04-12-2013, 02:58 PM
I don't know enough about the programs to know if these are two entirely separate systems or related.

Same system. I don't know why this is suddenly getting so much attention. The Laser Weapon System (LaWS) has been tested numerous times in the past few years.

There is a separate project for the Airborne Laser Testbed.

Also of note there are several testbeds for a USN railgun system (USS Zumwalt & USS Arleigh Burke).

Finally, the USS Ponce is named after a town in Puerto Rico which is in turn named after the Spanish explorer Juan Ponce De Leon. This is no different than naming a vessel after someones surname as was common practice throughout several naval eras. In this case the ship takes the name from a proper noun, not a British colloquialism.

Mr Mystery
04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
When you've had an Empire, then you can tell us what a given word means :p

FIRE THE PONCE LASER!!

White Tiger88
04-12-2013, 05:22 PM
When you've had an Empire, then you can tell us what a given word means :p

FIRE THE PONCE LASER!!

Great why don't they name the next damn ship the Ali-G -_-